Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How should California handle this latest surge of Covid?
Bring back the restrictions of 2020 23 20.18%
Let it rip! 91 79.82%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2022, 04:31 PM

50,245 posts, read 47,005,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
It would be even worse without more mask wearing. If you researched a bit more, you’d know this spike was due to lots of congregating for Chinese New Year. Completely predictable.
How are you measuring maybe, might, would, could? I didn't realize we could measure the unknown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2022, 05:01 PM

1,638 posts, read 1,107,644 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, there is no end. I know that would fit everyone’s desired narrative but pandemics are here to stay and will likely get worse. Mask wearing in crowded indoor spaces is good hygiene. While I realize it’s such a sacrifice for western values (rolls eyes), it’s becoming an increased necessity. If not COVID, it’ll be for the next pandemic which will happen and may be a lot worse.
Human kind has suffered far worse pandemics than covid before and humans seemed to do just fine without masking 2 year olds or healthy people. Now there's vaccines and antiviral treatments to boot. And masks may slightly "slow the spread" but they don't prevent people from getting this highly contagious disease forever and ever

I was in Shanghai not too long before covid and actually maybe saw 1 or 2 people on super crowded trains wearing masks. I assume they were sick. People weren't wandering around outside masked either. Maybe on days with horrible pollution. Let's stop the lies that all asians were walking around masked up 24/7 because it's untrue. Conversely, in my Bay Area city most people still wear masks when outdoors alone.

I recommend hiding in your basement forever, no covid there :-)

Last edited by njbiodude; 02-16-2022 at 05:11 PM..

Old 02-16-2022, 05:35 PM

3,069 posts, read 1,739,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post

I was in Shanghai not too long before covid and actually maybe saw 1 or 2 people on super crowded trains wearing masks. I assume they were sick. People weren't wandering around outside masked either. Maybe on days with horrible pollution. Let's stop the lies that all asians were walking around masked up 24/7 because it's untrue. Conversely, in my Bay Area city most people still wear masks when outdoors alone.
Same. I was in Japan a couple years ago and maybe 5%, 10% tops were masking. When we asked we were told that they do it when they think they *might" be sick to protect others. I am totally in favor of that trend coming here. In fact when I feel sick, I'll probably do that from now on. I thought it was very cool of the Japanese to be so considerate of others.

I am not in favor of masking forever, "just in case".

Old 02-16-2022, 05:43 PM

50,245 posts, read 47,005,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
Human kind has suffered far worse pandemics than covid before and humans seemed to do just fine without masking 2 year olds or healthy people. Now there's vaccines and antiviral treatments to boot. And masks may slightly "slow the spread" but they don't prevent people from getting this highly contagious disease forever and ever

I recommend hiding in your basement forever, no covid there :-)
I work with two people from China. Both were here on work visas until permanent. Both said that the first they've ever worn a mask their entire lives was here recently. One said only the elderly consider wearing them unless they are sick then encouraged to stay home.

Sounds common sense to me.

Old 02-16-2022, 06:43 PM

3,069 posts, read 1,739,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I work with two people from China. Both were here on work visas until permanent. Both said that the first they've ever worn a mask their entire lives was here recently. One said only the elderly consider wearing them unless they are sick then encouraged to stay home.

Sounds common sense to me.
When you think about it, it's kind of a d**k move mask or no to go out when you're sick. Some people don't have the luxury of staying home though unfortunately.

Old 02-16-2022, 08:30 PM

3,149 posts, read 2,696,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stablegenius View Post
Same. I was in Japan a couple years ago and maybe 5%, 10% tops were masking. When we asked we were told that they do it when they think they *might" be sick to protect others. I am totally in favor of that trend coming here. In fact when I feel sick, I'll probably do that from now on. I thought it was very cool of the Japanese to be so considerate of others.

This

Old 02-16-2022, 08:53 PM

2,540 posts, read 1,033,103 times
Quote:
People who knowingly infect others with a deadly contagious disease are monsters, in my view. Not too much different than a deadly weapon.

Yes, we will all die when it is our time. But, does that give someone an excuse to shoot another person and prematurely end their life early? Of course not. I'll bet you're a strong proponent of capital punishment, so why is this any different?
Only if it’s your favorite organization shooting cops and random innocent people going about their daily lives in order to protest a convicted criminal dying at the hands the police. And yes, let’s charge school kids who forget to put their masks back on after drinking from their water bottles with attempted murder even though Covid has a 99.9999999 percent survival rate that demographic.

Old 02-16-2022, 08:56 PM

3,605 posts, read 1,655,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stablegenius View Post

Agreed...I recall a good deal of Japanese masking way back in the 90's when I taught English in Japan as well...totally in favor of it as well...

Old 02-16-2022, 09:04 PM

635 posts, read 783,723 times
I guess we were all lucky to live for many years without needing a mask or experimental drugs for the normal flu and cold seasons. I've only worn a mask a few times in the last two years just to make fearful people happy. The people pushing the fear are evil in my view.

Old 02-17-2022, 04:22 AM

995 posts, read 509,457 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, there is no end. I know that would fit everyone’s desired narrative but pandemics are here to stay and will likely get worse. Mask wearing in crowded indoor spaces is good hygiene. While I realize it’s such a sacrifice for western values (rolls eyes), it’s becoming an increased necessity. If not COVID, it’ll be for the next pandemic which will happen and may be a lot worse.
Huh?

So, in 2019, we hadn't had a true pandemic in a 100 years. Then we got hit with covid. All of a sudden, this is the new age of the pandemic? Whatever brought that on? Talk about a pessimistic attitude.

No, the American people despise masks and will be thrilled to get rid of them. Even if another variant slams the US this fall, wouldn't most people want to at least be mask-free during the lull that we're entering into?

I think this Democratic senator up for reelection in our state speaks for all of us in this wonderful ad he's released:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7kC...RaphaelWarnock
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California