Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How should California handle this latest surge of Covid?
Bring back the restrictions of 2020 23 20.18%
Let it rip! 91 79.82%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2022, 12:00 PM

50,245 posts, read 47,005,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
Resume life as before, but give ICU priority to vaccinated persons being admitted for any reason, Covid-related or not. The idea that I might not be able to get a bed if some drunk driver causes an accident in which I'm severely injured is ridiculous.

Health care workers are burned out, frustrated, and overworked because too many Americans were too selfish to care for the health of the people around them, and too intent on their "freedumb" to take reasonable, common-sense public health measures.
Vaccines didn't stop the spread of covid and neither did masks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2022, 02:04 PM

1,638 posts, read 1,107,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post

Health care workers are burned out, frustrated, and overworked because too many Americans were too selfish to care for the health of the people around them, and too intent on their "freedumb" to take reasonable, common-sense public health measures.
Most healthcare workers (myself included) I know made bank in the last 2 years and are happily going on lavish vacations. While some might complain about the increase in workload most cashed in during covid surges and with hazard pay and overtime are sitting pretty right now. The "healthcare workers" on CNN aren't representative of the general workforce. Most have seen the realities of this disease in the last 2 years and are in my experience the least concerned with masking. Did you see the huge UCSF protest telling the governor to repeal mask mandates in schools?

As for hospital overload there never was any real risk of systemwide collapse. While there was some local risk in 2020 and early 2021, this last winter has showed mostly normal winter ICU numbers.

Old 02-15-2022, 04:04 PM

26,719 posts, read 26,782,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
Most healthcare workers (myself included) I know made bank in the last 2 years and are happily going on lavish vacations. While some might complain about the increase in workload most cashed in during covid surges and with hazard pay and overtime are sitting pretty right now.
Wow. No words for this.

Old 02-15-2022, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Wow. No words for this.
Well, honestly these people were working when everyone else was scared to death thanks to fear media. In the first few months the media had everyone afraid of their own shadows but health care workers braved up and went in.

Old 02-15-2022, 04:09 PM

26,719 posts, read 26,782,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Well, honestly these people were working when everyone else was scared to death thanks to fear media. In the first few months the media had everyone afraid of their own shadows but health care workers braved up and went in.
Maybe I misread the intent of his/her post.

Old 02-15-2022, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Maybe I misread the intent of his/her post.
Or I did, all good.

Old 02-15-2022, 05:42 PM

3,069 posts, read 1,739,216 times
This is going to cause some pearl clutching for sure:

Coachella, Stagecoach dropping all COVID vaccine, testing and masking requirements

https://ktla.com/news/local-news/coa...-requirements/

Old 02-15-2022, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Exactly. We had no choice. I also know a whole lot more people that had covid than the average person and thus have a better understanding of how deadly it is and risk factors than the average MSNBC viewer sitting at home all day with the news blaring while working from home or collecting Trump/Biden bux.

I'm also required to have been vaccinated and have received all 3 shots and I do believe they help somewhat though less against Omicron.

Old 02-16-2022, 12:28 AM

2,540 posts, read 1,033,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
Exactly. We had no choice. I also know a whole lot more people that had covid than the average person and thus have a better understanding of how deadly it is and risk factors than the average MSNBC viewer sitting at home all day with the news blaring while working from home or collecting Trump/Biden bux.

I'm also required to have been vaccinated and have received all 3 shots and I do believe they help somewhat though less against Omicron.

I had full faith in the vaccines last Spring when cases took a nose drive. I got my J and J last April. I thought we would hit herd immunity with about 70 percent of adults getting vaccinated. Then the Delta variant surged and I heard about more and more healthy young people who suffered more from the bad reactions to the vaccine while the government was cracking down pushing vaccine passports and punishing people who had a bad reaction to the first dose and were refusing to get the second dose. I didn't have a bad reaction myself but I am intentionally not getting any boosters unless absolustely required as I now believe they are useless against the variants and only beneficial to those older than 40 and/or underlying health conditions who have NOT been infected. For a healthy 20 year old, the risk of the vaccine is substantially higher than the risk of Covid. Newsom and his wife got vaccinated but none of their 4 kids saw a single dose yet he wants to mandate it for all public schools. I think the vaccine should remain optional for all and just recommended for those over 40. People under 30 should only take the vaccine if they have underlying health conditions. Mask mandates and vaccine passports gotta go.

Last edited by ThinkingOutsideTheBox; 02-16-2022 at 12:38 AM..

Old 02-16-2022, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingOutsideTheBox View Post
I had full faith in the vaccines last Spring when cases took a nose drive. I got my J and J last April. I thought we would hit herd immunity with about 70 percent of adults getting vaccinated. Then the Delta variant surged and I heard about more and more healthy young people who suffered more from the bad reactions to the vaccine while the government was cracking down pushing vaccine passports and punishing people who had a bad reaction to the first dose and were refusing to get the second dose. I didn't have a bad reaction myself but I am intentionally not getting any boosters unless absolustely required as I now believe they are useless against the variants and only beneficial to those older than 40 and/or underlying health conditions who have NOT been infected. For a healthy 20 year old, the risk of the vaccine is substantially higher than the risk of Covid. Newsom and his wife got vaccinated but none of their 4 kids saw a single dose yet he wants to mandate it for all public schools. I think the vaccine should remain optional for all and just recommended for those over 40. People under 30 should only take the vaccine if they have underlying health conditions. Mask mandates and vaccine passports gotta go.

I actually do think vaccines help. Here's a link to start but theres peer reviewed journals saying the same thing.

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/u...ination-status

So the current mortality rate is about 10x higher for unvaccinated people. If your 3 years old that 10x doesn't matter and the mortality risk may be higher from the vaccine. If youre 35? It does. If youre 70 it really does. Ultimately, cases don't matter if they don't lead to long-term effects, hospitalizations, or deaths and the vaccines are helping in that regard. Once new vaccines targeting Omicron come out things might get even better than the 10x and that might pursuade you to get another booster.

The reality is I unfortunately agree a lot of things like vaccine passports actually discourage people from getting the vaccine as they're frustrating to deal with. Instead of ramming these vaccines down our throats and calling all dissenting opinions "misinformation" it probably would've been better to have a debate out in the open and simply encourage people to get them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California