Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How should California handle this latest surge of Covid?
Bring back the restrictions of 2020 23 20.18%
Let it rip! 91 79.82%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2022, 04:33 PM

50,245 posts, read 47,005,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
The general answer is that masks work incrementally well (or incrementally poorly), as does social distancing and so on. Because we don't have good data - with a trial-group and a control group - we struggle to factually assert what's really going on. Thus we default to our inherent biases.

So let's stipulate that masks result in some aggregate benefit, in terms of X fewer infections and Y fewer deaths and Z fewer long-covid cases. Even if we had hard-numbers on this, it would remain to show, that X-Y-Z benefit justifies the effort invovled.

Let's try a thought experiment. There are 7.8B billion in the world. Let's suppose that all 7.8B wear masks religiously. Let's further supposet that exactly one human life is consequently saved, and that somehow, magically, we know this for a fact. OK. Now I ask: is the juice worth the squeeze? Is the inconvenience of 7.8B masks worth one life? I would say, no.

Now what if the number is 10 lives. Now Y = 10. How about it? I say, no. What if Y = 100? Still I say, no.

But eventually the answer becomes "yes". What if Y = 1B? Then likely the answer would be yes. But is that the right number? Likely the participants in this thread, could not agree.

Returning to reality, we do not know X, Y or Z... we can only guess. So we are doubly-befuddled, even if we stipulated that masks do provide SOME benefit. We don't know the benefit, and even if we did, we'd not be able to agree on whether said benefit is worthwhile.
That's the thing. Everyone keeps belching "Science". Science requires hard data, facts. Maybe, might, could and perhaps are feelers. They aren't measurable thus aren't a metric. Science has no part of "feelers". It has always been measurable data. Personal guesses and wishes or thoughts are not data points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2022, 05:40 PM

26,719 posts, read 26,782,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
It is more a case of people not wanting to do something they do not like, than actually realizing it still has benefits not just to them but to others. It reduces the likelihood of getting it, not eliminating it, for both those wearing it and people near by wearing one or not.
You got it.

Old 01-28-2022, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Most people still aren't wearing a N95 type mask and most that are, aren't wearing them correctly and re-using them.
Please, not another bandana story, Angry. And really, "most people"?

Quote:
Most settings require indoor masking for about 10 feet into a restaurant. It's obvious they don't work because the fully vaxxed mask wearers are getting covid. If masks worked why are these good subjects still getting it?
Maybe because, as you say, they're not wearing masks other than during the time they walk in to the restaurant? Being vaccinated isn't going to magically keep someone from getting the virus. It's only going to reduce the symptoms once the virus is inside the body.

Old 01-28-2022, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Please, not another bandana story, Angry. And really, "most people"?

Maybe because, as you say, they're not wearing masks other than during the time they walk in to the restaurant? Being vaccinated isn't going to magically keep someone from getting the virus. It's only going to reduce the symptoms once the virus is inside the body.
Yet again. Why masks if vaccines are the solution.

Old 01-28-2022, 07:31 PM

4,315 posts, read 6,278,763 times
Quote:
Yet again. Why masks if vaccines are the solution.
Vaccines slow the spread and reduce the severity of COVID, rather than stopping it altogether. Not sure why it's so hard for you to comprehend that masking provides an extra layer of protection and that this is a multi-pronged solution, not a simple one.

I think many folks are too simple minded to consider the complexities involved. For you, I think you get it, but just choose to ignore it since it the vaccine not working is a good Republican talking point for the midterms.

Old 01-28-2022, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Vaccines slow the spread and reduce the severity of COVID, rather than stopping it altogether. Not sure why it's so hard for you to comprehend that masking provides an extra layer of protection and that this is a multi-pronged solution, not a simple one.

I think many folks are too simple minded to consider the complexities involved. For you, I think you get it, but just choose to ignore it since it the vaccine not working is a good Republican talking point for the midterms.
Again, you are talking about something that can't be measured. Crystal ball stuff. Please tell me how you measure how many people that might have died. Might. So many of you have such fear that you buy into anything they say. Two masks are better than one. Good lord. Live your life without fear of the unknown which is what you bought into hook, line and sinker.

Extra layer of protection. LMAO. Staying away from other humanoids is the ONLY protection you can be 100% sure of. Layer of protection. I can't believe we consider ourselves intelligent with this type of thinking.

You can't measure maybe, might, perhaps future things "about" to happen. If this were true I'd bet on the Super Bowl every year.

Old 01-28-2022, 10:20 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,876,407 times
I've only noticed workers wearing 2 masks. I'm not sure that the one high-risk person I know offline even use two masks for shopping. People don't worship and blindly follow government (even with that advice sensible in theory).

It's not edgy and free-thinking to knee-jerk reject most of what government and more importantly scientists say and paint others as fearful sheep; it's just jerky.

Old 01-29-2022, 12:28 AM

2,540 posts, read 1,033,103 times
Quote:

But why should healthy males under 25 be forced to take a vaccine that is more likely to hospitalize them for heart problems than Covid would? How would you feel if your son died of a heart attack at age 16 from the vaccine when he would have likely had zero symptoms or a cold at worst if he had Covid? Just to prevent him for spreading it to grandma? You probably also support the police arresting 2 year olds who don't keep their masks on during flights.

Old 01-29-2022, 05:01 AM

995 posts, read 509,457 times
Quote:

If this is the case, why did the CDC lift masks for the vaxxed last May, only to reinstate them later in the summer? First, they said the vaccines were enough, then they said it wasn't enough. So they're either wrong now, or they were wrong then.

My take: Do. Not. Trust. The. Government. Under. Any. Circumstance.

And with the way the world's governments have bungled their reaction to covid, I have high hopes that people will have little to no trust in government for years and years going forward. I have to say that's a good thing!

Old 01-29-2022, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Thinker View Post
If this is the case, why did the CDC lift masks for the vaxxed last May, only to reinstate them later in the summer? First, they said the vaccines were enough, then they said it wasn't enough. So they're either wrong now, or they were wrong then.
Scroll back.

For every modification and revision of its guidelines, the CDC, and Dr. Rochelle Walensky (director of the CDC), have taken heat. In May 2021, when vaccination rates were increasing, Walensky recommended that immunized people could stop wearing masks indoors. The decision balanced the science at the time—cases were falling but still far from zero—against the growing backlash from the public about the lack of benefits of vaccination; if getting the shots changed nothing about what they could do safely, then why get vaccinated? Two and a half months later, the CDC went back to urging even vaccinated people to wear masks indoors as a new variant pushed case numbers up again.

The media, politicians and the public demolished the CDC for flip-flopping. “I have spent a lot of time thinking about” the shifting advice, says Walensky. “All of the science in that moment said it was safe to take off your masks if you were vaccinated. We perhaps should have said ‘for now.’ I think that if we had said, ‘Despite the science, you have to keep your masks on,’ we would have lost the trust of people with regard to actually following the science.”

https://time.com/6132792/rochelle-wa...9-cdc-profile/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California