Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2023, 05:11 PM

580 posts, read 521,278 times

Advertisements

Just more Democrats thinking of clever ways to steal people's money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2023, 05:16 PM

19,262 posts, read 16,777,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Boy View Post
Just more Democrats thinking of clever ways to steal people's money.
Sure seems that way. It's hoaky.

Old 04-14-2023, 10:06 PM

50,489 posts, read 47,262,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
The money has to come from someplace. My deep pockets have lint at the bottom.
I have to check the dryer filter with all the lint from my pockets.

Old 04-14-2023, 11:07 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,633,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
Given the rates they charge even $92 isn’t much but I be asking whether it’s on top of any kilowatt hours consumed.
It is. They will also be charging a separate rate for the usage, but they claim that rate could be 33% less than what it currently is, provided the household can cut back on usage.

Old 04-14-2023, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
If something like the SDG&E proposal were implemented in my area, I would:
Cancel my plans to install solar and battery, because the (unavoidable and pretty big) flat fee nulls out a good 70% of the savings I’d see by generating/storing/consuming my own power.
I don't know. We have solar, have had it for over three years now. Before solar we were paying $385 per month on average. Even being in the highest monthly flat rate of $92, if this were to go into effect, we would still net positive nearly $300 every month. We haven't paid a dime to PGE in three years.

And that $385 per month average was based on rates back in 2018/2019. If we didn't have solar today we would probably see a monthly average of $415 or more.

Old 04-14-2023, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Purchase a used EV (for the stack of incentives it comes with) as my daily commuter, as the cost for using more power drops by 60%. So using electricity to commute makes a lot more sense than gas.
And, for when everybody else figures out that blowing through thousands of grid supplied kWh is WAY cheaper than it used to be:
60% reduction? The article states that the three utilities are proposing a reduction of 33% in utility rates. But it hints that customers would need to use less power to see the 33% rate reduction not more.

Old 04-15-2023, 06:44 AM

26,812 posts, read 26,948,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
This idea is simply another way for PG&E to recapture some of the money they lost by neglecting to maintain and replace failing lines, poles and transformers, thus costing them millions of dollars in loss from the lawsuits related to the multiple wildfires in this state.
I can believe it. And it doesn't seem to be well thought out.

The provision inside AB 205 that created the income-based fixed charge caught Bill Powers, board member of the Protect Our Communities Foundation, a San Diego environmental group that often takes part in CPUC proceedings, by surprise.

So it was in the trailer bill that nobody saw, nobody read, it got passed and here we are,” said Powers, who doubts the creation of the fixed charge will lead to the benefits it hopes to achieve.

“This scheme is obviously unfair,” Powers said. “You’re going to have a rich person pay a lot more per kilowatt-hour for electricity than a middle-class or poor person. Where is the equity in that? ... This is a lawsuit waiting to happen.”

https://www.latimes.com/business/sto...ore-affordable

Old 04-15-2023, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I can believe it. And it doesn't seem to be well thought out.

The provision inside AB 205 that created the income-based fixed charge caught Bill Powers, board member of the Protect Our Communities Foundation, a San Diego environmental group that often takes part in CPUC proceedings, by surprise.

So it was in the trailer bill that nobody saw, nobody read, it got passed and here we are,” said Powers, who doubts the creation of the fixed charge will lead to the benefits it hopes to achieve.

“This scheme is obviously unfair,” Powers said. “You’re going to have a rich person pay a lot more per kilowatt-hour for electricity than a middle-class or poor person. Where is the equity in that? ... This is a lawsuit waiting to happen.”

https://www.latimes.com/business/sto...ore-affordable
I think it is more about recouping the increasing losses of revenue from all of the solar customers. The thought is that most middle to high income customers have solar. I agree though that this is a terrible and unfair way of going about it. What about the middle to high income earner who does not have solar? Why should they be hit with essentially a solar tax as well?

Old 04-15-2023, 09:50 AM

19,262 posts, read 16,777,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
I think it is more about recouping the increasing losses of revenue from all of the solar customers. The thought is that most middle to high income customers have solar. I agree though that this is a terrible and unfair way of going about it. What about the middle to high income earner who does not have solar? Why should they be hit with essentially a solar tax as well?
Hmm. Could be.

I remember some years back, we were asked to conserve water due to the drought and customers complied. Then, revenue dropped for the companies and they began raising rates to compensate for their loss. I'll just say it didn't go well and leave it at that. So companies that need money are going to do it in some way. Either raise rates or get creative like this and dole out the increase based on income.

Capitalism. Gotta love it

Old 04-15-2023, 11:12 AM

26,812 posts, read 26,948,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
The thought is that most middle to high income customers have solar. I agree though that this is a terrible and unfair way of going about it.
Although those that even have solar appear to be a small number in California.

More than 1.5 million homes, businesses and other utility customers in California have rooftop solar panels:
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/12/15/cali...omeowners.html

The fact that solar-rooftop owners are more affluent than those without solar can be an uncomfortable topic in debates...
https://www.newsdata.com/california_...72564b0c2.html

https://www.electricrate.com/solar-energy/california/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California