Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2016, 10:58 PM

964 posts, read 995,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvaden View Post
I remember one rainy day in Redwood National Park hiking to Tall Trees Grove. Apparently I was the only person who got a gate permit and went down there that day. One person only, in the midst of several thousand acres.

A fallen giant.
Did you see the article that was in the New Yorker some years ago, about a guy who climbed the redwoods with professional climbing gear (I don't recall if he was a scientist or a photographer)? It was full of information about the ecosystem at the treetops as well as the environment in which the trees thrived, and all the special qualities of the trees; how they're able to regenerate, their chemistry, etc. Fantastic article!

Old 02-06-2016, 01:15 AM

225 posts, read 469,807 times
I see that totallyawesome troll has opened yet another account on here to emphasize that Hyperion is partway up Lost Man Creek. Be careful FR aka totallyawesome troll aka pretend Russian guy aka Montclairion cause soon you're gonna have the masses headed up Lost Man Creek to visit Hyperion.

Old 02-06-2016, 03:43 PM

123 posts, read 173,983 times
Default Finding Hyperion - Tallest Tree

To assist people wanting to find and get a look at Hyperion I'm re-posting text I posted on another thread...

Famous Redwoods

Thanks to this discussion I was able to find the website:

famousredwoods.com

which provides information about and finding some of the world's tallest redwood trees - especially in my case - Hyperion, the world's currently-known tallest tree.

The videos created for each tree cited on the site are especially striking, and film each tree and its surroundings from multiple vantage points. The photos are excellent, eye-popping at times, and in some cases enable you to isolate the tree you are looking for from surrounding growth.

In addition, directions are detailed and precise. From them you should with relative ease be able to find any of the listed trees you want to visit - assuming you are a seasoned hiker with off-trail experience. Novice hikers should consider getting assistance from an experienced guide as conditions can range from challenging to dangerous.

I want to personally thank the creator(s) of the site for taking on and completing such a formidable task, one that will be appreciated by redwood lovers around the world.

-------------------

On another note I should add that there seems to be some silliness surrounding the publishing of famousredwoods.com

Topics mentioned include dislodging electronic sensors (which probably shouldn't be there in the first place) to soil compaction to burl poaching to native plant eradication. There was one about displacing fallen logs by walking over them that was especially amusing. Take the typical internet forum rhetorical madness for what it is. Just visit and enjoy the trees. And, without saying, treat the areas with respect.

Again, to those who created Famous Redwoods - I tip my hat.

Old 02-06-2016, 06:29 PM

225 posts, read 469,807 times
Psss totalllyawesome FR troll, a little bird told me that Helios is not far away from Hyperion up Lost Man Creek.

Maia and Helios are both in Dry Heaves Creek according to pages 280-284 in The Wild Trees. Maybe someday we can all find it. FR sure as heck can't. We gotta get our butts back up Lost Man Creek when the water flow drops and search search search.

Old 02-06-2016, 08:41 PM

1,457 posts, read 6,032,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montclairion View Post
To assist people wanting to find and get a look at Hyperion I'm re-posting text I posted on another thread...

In addition, directions are detailed and precise. From them you should with relative ease be able to find any of the listed trees you want to visit - assuming you are a seasoned hiker with off-trail experience. Novice hikers should consider getting assistance from an experienced guide as conditions can range from challenging to dangerous.

... snip ... I tip my hat.
Heads up to others.

The content he tipped his hat to is contaminated. Some is right, some is wrong. Enthusiastic seekers will still need to contend with some trial and error. But some error is particularly bad, so if anyone finds themselves running around in circles indefinitely, realize there will be no way to report your failures. Because the stuff is fed completely anonymous. There's not system for checks and balances.

On another note, feel free to search "The Forest Weeps" + "redwood"

It has updates on the $5000 reward fund and photos about damage to habitat around coast redwoods.

Also ... for a fact ... cameras have been installed in the parks. This is a heads up to be careful if you go looking for noteworthy trees, not to be caught on hidden camera causing any damage. The cameras appear self-contained.

Old 02-06-2016, 09:18 PM

1,457 posts, read 6,032,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGraham View Post
Mr. Shcherbakov I see now you are truly from Moscow Russian Federation and are not fronting for FR. Sorry I jumped to this conclusion, I apologize.

Mark Graham
Mark ... if only more people were level-headed like yourself, the FRs designer wouldn't have to sweat. I'm not referring to the Russian guy, but circling back to the new search underway by various. "Fred" as I call him (reminds me of Flintstone wisdom) may have put little forethought into actions and consequences. And there is no perfect seal.

This week, we were talking here about a family member's husband involved in MMA fighting plus wrestling. When his father did entertainment wrestling, someone sabotaged his automobile. And stabbed several times. Had a special vest tailored. That chaos stemmed from doing something legal and entertaining that did not trigger damage. The fighters knew what their work was and probably had beer together after the match. But various fans lost their minds. And some went crazy over the top.

And the son (family member's husband), got stabbed in the back in Japan after winning. And another time, clubbed in the knee or leg in either Scotland or Ireland at a pub. Again, the reactions followed legal entertainment.

Mark ... I am probably more like you .. more of a peaceful researcher. But then there's everybody else, all the way to the wild sort who will certainly have a tree-sitter on steroids vigilante mindset. They love the trees with an insane passion, and will probably seek retribution. Just like the wrestling fans showed, there is no law for some people. Extreme extremists will track people for a lifetime. Seems like life would be a drag, hoping nobody ever finds files in your computer. Window blinds can't be cracked when an edit is made. Or the bread crumbs missed that prevent a seal of secrecy. Its a recipe for a lifetime of worry.

Anyhow, glad I chose a safe profession where trees are plants are grown and cared for.

Last edited by mdvaden; 02-06-2016 at 10:28 PM..

Old 02-06-2016, 10:51 PM

87 posts, read 164,383 times
Default Hiking Dangers

Shifting log piles, maybe funny to some. Pretty serious business at Texas A&M in 1999. Pretty serious business in the timber industry over the years. Also remember the bark can slip as well. Down you go, ten feet into the rocky creek.

Now you may think this is piling on, but I got an earful from a black bear not 300 feet from Hyperion last Spring. Probably a sow with cubs. Not the bear's fault, I was in its territory and it backed away. But black bears never attack, well almost never (see New Jersey 2015).

Some of the hikes on FR are a piece of cake. Get out of your car and you are there. But there are others, including the hike to Hyperion, that should be undertaken with care. And definitely not until Redwood Creek returns to summer levels.

As for the issues around the outing of redwood tree locations, everything is well covered in this thread. I'm not sure if there is much middle ground. Even you are for outing tree locations or you are not. I am not.

Old 02-06-2016, 10:57 PM

Quote:

Famous Redwoods

famousredwoods.com

which provides information about and finding some of the world's tallest redwood trees - especially in my case - Hyperion, the world's currently-known tallest tree.

The videos created for each tree cited on the site are especially striking, and film each tree and its surroundings from multiple vantage points. The photos are excellent, eye-popping at times, and in some cases enable you to isolate the tree you are looking for from surrounding growth.

I want to personally thank the creator(s) of the site for taking on and completing such a formidable task, one that will be appreciated by redwood lovers around the world.

-------------------

On another note I should add that there seems to be some silliness surrounding the publishing of famousredwoods.com

Topics mentioned include dislodging electronic sensors (which probably shouldn't be there in the first place) to soil compaction to burl poaching to native plant eradication. There was one about displacing fallen logs by walking over them that was especially amusing. Take the typical internet forum rhetorical madness for what it is. Just visit and enjoy the trees. And, without saying, treat the areas with respect.

Well, if you found the FR site based on this discussion you are lousy using Google. It's been on page two on searches for Hyperion redwood tree location for months.

Old 02-06-2016, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Famous Redwoods

famousredwoods.com

-------------------

Either you are for outing redwoods or you are not. I am not. The issues are thoroughly covered in this thread.

If you found FR based on this thread you are really lousy at Google searching. The FR site has been on page two of returns when searching for hyperion redwood tree location on Google for months.

Last edited by MarkGraham; 02-06-2016 at 11:02 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 02-07-2016, 03:39 AM

123 posts, read 173,983 times
Mark, one of the threads carried on about shifting lumber, the river being blocked and the area being closed down - seemed a bit extreme, made me smile. Not that a pile can't shift, but when we're climbing over these fallen monsters most of the time we really have much the same effect on the timber that an ant would. On the other hand - if you look at a pile and you get the sense that it's an accident waiting to happen just steer clear. Piles, paths, rivers, rocks, slopes, mud, critters... we're always making on-the-fly-decisions based on our experience and athletic ability as to what's safe and what's not. And it's this one-pointedness, the focus that these situations create, that draws people into the wilderness in the first place.

Believe me, I've had my share of having to crawl over and through lumber piles and it's no fun and it can be as dangerous as hell, yet sometimes you have to do it. But personally I'm much more concerned with falling into the damn holes that I can't see than the piles themselves moving. I've made a couple of pretty rough descents over the years. You could sprain an ankle or break a leg or literally get stuck down in a damn hole and end up as critter food. As I mentioned - any novice hiker should not be off-trail in heavily wooded wilderness areas without someone who is experienced. And it's probably even wise for experienced trail blazers to be buddied up in potentially hazardous areas, but at at least for me that doesn't always happen. And when I do find yourself out in the middle of nowhere by myself, well, I just have to dial down my adventurousness a notch or two. But I don't think I really have to think about it; it happens automatically - preservation instinct. Still here.

After numerous encounters with bears in California I'm not nearly as apprehensive as I once was. They're more or less well behaved down here and they're way more afraid of me than I am of them. Contrary to popular belief, stats show that only 2 people a year die from black bears each year in North America, roughly the same number that die from aggressive deer attacks. Still, it's not a bad idea to carry around some easily accessible bear spray. And, if you see a cub - back off. The last thing you want to do is find yourself between a cub and its mother.

Here are some examples of recent encounters. I was hiking solo up in the Trinity Wilderness last season, and I was going up a steep switchback. A big black bear was coming straight down the hill on a 45. We met on the path, being separated by only 6 or 8 feet. We both froze. The bear slowly turned its head toward me and we locked eyes. Then it turned its head away and continued on its jaunt down the hill. I was startled, not afraid really, and I continued on as well. Ran into 4 more the following day. One ran for its life as soon as it saw me and the other 3, a couple of cubs with their mom, took off when I yelled at them.

Here's one - not long ago a bear lied down next to a friend of mine camping on a cold night out in the wilderness. Nestled right up to him to keep warm and went to sleep.

From my point of view - wood piles are probably more dangerous than black bears.

As far as the search goes, I can't remember what my search phrase was, but I ended up on this thread. And from this thread I found the famous redwoods site. I'd been wanting to have a look at Hyperion but in years passsed I never found details as to its location, but I have them now and I'll visit during late summer. I've been gawking at big redwood trees all across northern California for many many years - not to mention I live adjacent to a park filled with them - hiked one of the trails today. I even have them growing in my back yard. Still, I can't get enough of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California