Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Left, leaving or plan on leaving California, why?
Personal freedom under attack by state lawmakers 6 3.64%
The state is becoming too "liberal" 21 12.73%
Over crowding/immigration 35 21.21%
To live the "American Dream", home ownership/higher standard of living 22 13.33%
Life here is just too expensive! 45 27.27%
To retire with a higher standard of living 11 6.67%
No real reason/took a job/just needed a change of pace 10 6.06%
Another reason 15 9.09%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 10:38 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,507,929 times

Advertisements

Conservatism sucks because it reaps closed minded, sometimes racist, at least segregated, everyone should be the same, everyone for themselves, church on every street communities. The worst thing about living in conservative areas, is if your behavior is different from the norm of that community, you will be frowned upon, if you don't cozy up to campfire with all the other "members" and drink their kool-aid you will be outcasted.

That's what I have gathered by living in D.C., Central Florida, Phoenix and Orange County, CA.

One of the main things I love about California is that people leave each other alone and are not all up in our business. Not that we have anything to hide, but having neighbors who come to you and stress how important Church is and constantly asking questions prying into your private life just because we are neighbors is time consuming and intrusive.

We may have to leave CA here soon, but basically because the job market for finance and accounting (wife's career) is drying up here, we cannot continue to move back and forth from Silicon Valley to the L.A. area for jobs.

If we go anywhere, it will be back to NYC.

Last edited by Mach50; 01-02-2009 at 11:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 10:47 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,460,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Consider_Again View Post
I took a job in OC and have been renting for a few months getting a feel for SoCal. Even though we could afford to buy here, we are choosing not to. I honestly do not see the attraction; for equal money I would pick OC over Houston, but I would never choose SoCal over Denver-all other things being equal.
O.C.? (Eww.) No wonder you don't like it since it doesn't have the best that SoCal has to offer. L.A. County baby!!

Old 01-02-2009, 10:47 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,245,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Conservatism sucks because it reaps closed minded, sometimes racist, at least segregated, everyone should be the same, everyone for themselves, church on every street communities. The worst thing about living in conservative areas, is if your behavior is different from the norm of that community, you will be frowned upon, if you don't cozy up to campfire will all the other "members" and drink their kool-aid you will be outcasted.

Interesting. Substitute the word "Liberalism" for "Conservatism", take out "church" and that is my opinion.
That's what I have gathered by living in Boulder, New York City, Washington DC and Los Angeles.
Boulder was the most racist and jew hating city I've ever had the displeasure of living in. Most of it coming from the University types.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:02 AM

566 posts, read 1,940,468 times
Agreed! If you want to experience an environment where only one virepoint (liberalism) will be allowed go to a college campus. A conservative will be shouted down and thrown out. And this is by those who celebrate being open minded.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:04 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,295,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobmw View Post
So if I had stayed CA would be enjoying some huge taxes from me. Wonder how much CA looses from all those conservatives who moved?
The illegals are moving too so, there's also probably some tax savings on the social services end.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:26 AM

566 posts, read 1,940,468 times
Oh my goodness! To associate illegals with tax savings is astonishing. California is sinking under the weight of educating, medicating and incarserating illegals. So a few of them move. So what. The annual damage to California's budget is huge. How about we start cutting of benefits to illegals. Oh I forgot - we did that once (prop 187) and a liberal judge overruled it.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:41 PM

371 posts, read 941,252 times
with the bad economy in cali and the government in cali doesnt' have enough money to run things...how will that affect me as I am thinking about moving there? maybe the taxes will be higher? cities doesn't have money so? things will be poorly maintained? how will it affect me?

Old 01-02-2009, 12:46 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,245,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaythen01 View Post
with the bad economy in cali and the government in cali doesnt' have enough money to run things...how will that affect me as I am thinking about moving there? maybe the taxes will be higher? cities doesn't have money so? things will be poorly maintained? how will it affect me?
It is pretty much a done deed that taxes will go up. The only question is what taxes, by how much, and when.

It's probably not the smartest time to move here, unless where you are coming from is worse(like New York or New Jersey).

Old 01-02-2009, 01:14 PM
pll

1,112 posts, read 2,487,611 times
Isn't housing more affordable now?

Old 01-02-2009, 01:21 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,466,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pll View Post
Isn't housing more affordable now?
Only in the undesirable areas like the urban slums or areas far from job centers (like Palmdale or the IE). Houses in nice areas with safe schools and close to jobs are still big bucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California