Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2009, 11:53 PM

11 posts, read 21,250 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking of moving from Coning, CA to the Susanville area. I am studying to get my riding instructor certification for handicapped riders (this would include at-risk children) and would like to open a riding center. I am in the process of doing a feasibility study, but was wondering if anyone had some input on this, and on the area in general. We've been there a few times, and are planning another, longer, trip soon.
Climate is a big consideration in terms of riding days. I'm thinking there are going to be more days that are comfortable for riding than we currently have in Corning, which has weeks of over 100 degree days in the summer, and potentially days on end of rain in the winter. I'm originally from the east coast, and have been in CA for 10 years. I'm not really looking for six months of snow, but having seasons would be nice. My husband has arthritis, but I've heard the dry climate helps, even if it does get cold.

Just wondering if anyone sees a need for this type of riding center for the area. I've done some initial research and can't seem to find any programs of this type in the area, which doesn't mean there is not a need. The closest program is in Redding, too far away for people living in Susanville.

Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 01:23 AM

1,354 posts, read 6,381,503 times
I live in Susanville and I have a handicap child. There are no riding programs for handicap kids. There is a riding stable that offers lessons. I believe they are called Whispering Pines. Right now, I don't see a program geared for handicap kids working here. The regional center is losing funding due to state and federal cut backs. They pay for some of the programs handicap kids use. The majority of residents in Susanville work for the state. With the furlough days, there is no way most state workers can afford the programs.

The only way I can see it working is if Easter Seals or another group totally funded it. I spoke with the Easter Seals rep from Chico last year. He said he would like to get a program going and fund it. But that was a year ago, so who knows what the case is now.

Have you contacted Far Northern Regional Center in Chico and Redding? They contract with vendors for the services the kids in Plumas, Lassen, Tehama, and Modoc get.

Old 09-20-2009, 04:08 PM

11 posts, read 21,250 times
Thanks for your reply! I currently volunteer with Handi-Riders in Oroville (Chico) and they get some funding from Far North Regional Center, and I know that this session they have cut back on their funding. I will definitely get in contact with the Easter Seals rep here (you don't happen to remember who you spoke to, do you?).
Do you have any idea how many handicapped children (and adults) there might be in the area? If there is a real need, which it sounds like there is, there is always a way to fill it. I have a lot of non-profit experience writing grants, fundraising, etc, where we could potentially raise enough money to provide schollarships or a sliding scale for the kids to take lessons. Is there anyone in Susanville you could suggest I talk to about starting a program?
Thanks again for your response, and please feel free to add anything you think might be helpful.

Tracy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California