Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2010, 09:13 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,403,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
It's hard to believe how terrified some people are! I think they watch too many bogey man movies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 10:08 PM

212 posts, read 476,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
It's hard to believe how terrified some people are! I think they watch too many bogey man movies!

"Reasons for getting the last word

Getting the last word means that you win the debate. It also shows your moral superiority, and willingness to stand your ground. This should convince your opponent that you are correct, and will certainly impress your fellow Wikipedians[CD posters].
It is particularly important to get the last word where you are in some doubts as to the merits of your case. The last word will serve as a clinching argument that will make up for any deficiencies in your logic. Achieving the last word now also brings the advantage that you may subsequently point to your success in this debate as the clinching argument in future debates. However, if you did not win the last discussion, we still recommend claiming incessantly that you did."

Wikipedia:The Last Word - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Whatever you say... Your definitely right.

Look, the poster asked for a response. The civil thing to do is at least respond to him, not try, in any manner, to deride another...

Old 08-11-2010, 10:20 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,651,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstorts View Post
The population will definitely continue to increase...but it is a lot of the CA natives that are leaving, and a lot of people from other countries coming in...CA is the melting pot, anyone can be here and be accepted an fit in. While more and more diverse peoples come, they bring their cultures, etc. with them, and that changes the areas they live in when you have alrge crowds of them. It isn't a bad thing- it is just how it is. I for one cannot wait to get out of Cali, there are several things i do not like about this state. It is funny to go to some of these other forums on here, you can see that many of the natives from the other states complain about Californians taking over the other areas just as the other people are taking over California.
Having lived in CA for over 20 years(now on the East Coast) and recently went back there to visit. You can help but notice that being white and American born you're in the minority.

We went to the Beverly Center to shop(something we did on a regular basis throughout the 90s) and were the only white people we saw.

Most people seemed to be foreign born. Not saying it felt unsafe, just very strange. It wasn't that way 10 yrs ago.

This isn't meant to be racist, I am just stating what we saw. Also went to the new shopping plaza in Glendale( which for a long time has had a large Armenian population) and it was the same thing.

There has been a major population shift in the greater LA area. You really notice when you move out of the area and go back to visit.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:04 AM
R66

145 posts, read 419,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You can help but notice that being white and American born you're in the minority. We went to the Beverly Center to shop (something we did on a regular basis throughout the 90s) and were the only white people we saw. Most people seemed to be foreign born. Not saying it felt unsafe, just very strange. It wasn't that way 10 yrs ago. This isn't meant to be racist, I am just stating what we saw. Also went to the new shopping plaza in Glendale (which for a long time has had a large Armenian population) and it was the same thing. There has been a major population shift in the greater LA area. You really notice when you move out of the area and go back to visit.
My sentiments exactly .... I moved out to LA from Florida in 1988 to jump start my career in Film and stayed to 1996. I lived mostly in SF Valley minus a few hard nights in my beat up VW in the Hollywood hills ... lately I am seeing a lot of rich Persians from Iran speaking loud Persian at every corner. The Mexicans were always here but Van Nuys now seems worst than ever. The only clear English 100% Americans I see are in Calabasas. I recently drove back to SoCal for a first visit since my departure in 1996 to pass time and visit with old friends. The weather is excellent like a carbon copy of Florida just less humidity and no rain. Services are good and people here seem more motivated and have a zest for life ... or maybe they are motivated by the US Dollar. However, people here are spoiled ( obscene in your face wealth ) and I see a complete lack of sympathy for the suffering mainly from Entertainment Folks of Jewish decent.

Last edited by R66; 08-12-2010 at 01:25 AM..

Old 08-12-2010, 01:39 AM

212 posts, read 476,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R66 View Post
My sentiments exactly .... I moved out to LA from Florida in 1988 to jump start my career in Film and stayed to 1996. I lived mostly in SF Valley minus a few hard nights in my beat up VW in the Hollywood hills ... lately I am seeing a lot of rich Persians from Iran speaking loud Persian at every corner. The Mexicans were always here but Van Nuys now seems worst than ever. The only clear English 100% Americans I see are in Calabasas. I recently drove back to SoCal for a first visit since my departure in 1996 to pass time and visit with old friends. The weather is excellent like a carbon copy of Florida just less humidity and no rain. Services are good and people here seem more motivated and have a zest for life ... or maybe they are motivated by the US Dollar. However, people here are spoiled ( obscene in your face wealth ) and I see a complete lack of sympathy for the suffering mainly from Entertainment Folks of Jewish decent.

While I disagree with many of your observations, the following data (unknown validity) does make one think...

By 1970 immigrants accounted for 4.7 percent of the US population and rising to 6.2 percent in 1980, with an estimated 12.5 percent to this date.[42] As of 2010, a quarter of the residents of the United States under 18 are immigrants or are immigrants' children.[43]
Legal immigration to the U.S. increased from 250,000 in the 1930s, to 2.5 million in the 1950s, to 4.5 million in the 1970s, and to 7.3 million in the 1980s, before resting at about 10 million in the 1990s.[44] Since 2000, legal immigrants to the United States number approximately 1,000,000 per year, of whom about 600,000 are Change of Status who already are in the U.S. Legal immigrants to the United States now are at their highest level ever, at just over 37,000,000 legal immigrants. Illegal immigration may be as high as 1,500,000 per year with a net of at least 700,000 illegal immigrants arriving every year.[45][46] Immigration led to a 57.4% increase in foreign born population from 1990 to 2000.[47]

Immigration to the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Please note, I am in no way Xenophobic, but I wonder how healthy it was to increase LEGAL immigration so very fast.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Agreed. Even in Montrose( a nice little community north of Glendale) was like being in a foreign country compared to what it used to be. And I am going to say it since you mentioned the Iranians, they have no manners.

My elderly aunt still lives in Montrose and she has become quite the bigot....LOL...only because of interactions she has had in the last couple of years with certain groups.

You get people from eastern Europe and the Middle East and they have a different mindset in how to act in public. And it isn't good.

But the Beverly Center was a real eye opener, I felt like I had left the US.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwayAndBackToSac View Post
While I disagree with many of your observations, the following data (unknown validity) does make one think...

By 1970 immigrants accounted for 4.7 percent of the US population and rising to 6.2 percent in 1980, with an estimated 12.5 percent to this date.[42] As of 2010, a quarter of the residents of the United States under 18 are immigrants or are immigrants' children.[43]
Legal immigration to the U.S. increased from 250,000 in the 1930s, to 2.5 million in the 1950s, to 4.5 million in the 1970s, and to 7.3 million in the 1980s, before resting at about 10 million in the 1990s.[44] Since 2000, legal immigrants to the United States number approximately 1,000,000 per year, of whom about 600,000 are Change of Status who already are in the U.S. Legal immigrants to the United States now are at their highest level ever, at just over 37,000,000 legal immigrants. Illegal immigration may be as high as 1,500,000 per year with a net of at least 700,000 illegal immigrants arriving every year.[45][46] Immigration led to a 57.4% increase in foreign born population from 1990 to 2000.[47]

Immigration to the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Please note, I am in no way Xenophobic, but I wonder how healthy it was to increase LEGAL immigration so very fast.
You're not being xenophobic, there is something wrong when you feel out of place in your own country.

We make it too easy in this country to take up residence. Try doing that in Australia.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:29 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,793,178 times
Quote:
The only clear English 100% Americans I see are in Calabasas. .
Wow, I was going to comment on how out of place I feel when I visit Calabasas. I swim often at and take our kids to the Calabasas Tennis and Swim Center and my parents live in Calabasas. There are a lot of middle eastern people there - my wife thinks Israeli - but could be others. Every now and then I sense there's one person other than myself who grew up in Southern California. A lot of people from the east coast and overseas seem to be there.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:00 AM

1,271 posts, read 2,594,874 times
Quote:
South Florida is not much different though, it's the league of nations here. Several places I worked over the years here from small companies to large companies, there was a mix of nationalities. One place was a small office around 10 people, only two of the employees (including myself) were born in the USA. The rest were H-1B and Green Card holders of varying nationalities.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:40 AM

660 posts, read 1,398,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highnlite View Post
I don't know any depressed angry frustrated people, but then again, I don't live south of the grapevine and I don't know why anyone would, but that is just me.
For jobs most likely. Living in the middle of nowhere is only possible if your able to be successfully self-employed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California