Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 09:17 AM

35 posts, read 117,797 times

Advertisements

I've asked serveral people that lived in or visited California. The response that I got from them were:

(1) people in california are superficial, if you can't do anything for them, they don't want to be bother.
(2) only rich and beautiful people live in Cali
(3) very expensive, a one bedroom apt cost 3,000
(4) people are fake and it is hard to meet new friends
(5) Only for Heedans (sp), if you are in the church not a good place to live
(6) I will miss the change of seasons ( I currently live in Maryland)
(7) everything is spread out, no entertainment

And there were more, however, please let me know if all these stereotypes are true about California. I was really interested in moving there. But if these are true, then I will consider moving somewhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 09:51 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,704,361 times
California is a BIG place - what you described (although very sterotyped) is mostly in the big cities and INHO So Calif. Plus probably a bit in San Fran but they are more laid back then Los Angeles.

What do you want? That's how you can find you place in Calif...don't focus on the bad, but work towards the good.

And as far as the Church goes - God is in your heart, no matter how corrupt a city, no one can steal Him from you.

Old 05-30-2007, 01:02 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,935,481 times
Geez... generalize a population much???

Old 05-30-2007, 01:52 PM

491 posts, read 2,291,008 times
Can those attributes possibly fit all these millions of people? That's silly.

Old 05-30-2007, 02:19 PM

177 posts, read 815,262 times
Wink Well........actually....

(1) people in california are superficial, if you can't do anything for them, they don't want to be bother.

You could say that about anywhere really - I have lived in 3 different areas in CA - Bay Area, Sacramento and now I'm in LA. All 3 areas did and do have those kinds of people in them and they also had/have very nice, honest and genuine people in them as well.

It's true - We are all rich and beautiful!!! HAHA - No, joking apart, to live here comfortably of course you are going to need a reasonable income (goes for anywhere I think). As for beauty I think this place has more plastic surgeons per square yard than anywhere in the world (don't quote me on that- I just made it up actually)

Depends on where it is - in Malibu it would probably cost that but where I am currently in the yucky high desert of Lancaster - accommodation is much cheaper than that I can assure you!!!

Actually, you do have to work quite hard to make new friends but again that goes for anywhere I think. As for fakeness - well, define 'fake' for me will you?

Absolutely and completely not true!! I can assure you that religion in all it's guises is alive and well in California. Especially in the Sacramento region. So many churches - they are the only ones with any money - new ones were popping up constantly when I was there last year.

Well, I am originally from the UK and I can assure you that you will not miss Winter.

Yes, it's a big place - 30 million or so people are here. Plenty of entertainment if you can just be bothered to look for it!!! Since being in LA my hubby and I have been to Las Vegas (only a somewhat short 4 hours away from us in Lancaster) and we had the honour of seeing Elton John. So you will need to travel abit. That's what's good about the road system, having a car and a license - it definitely helps when it comes to finding entertainment.

Old 05-31-2007, 12:34 PM

471 posts, read 1,830,523 times
candis-
I too am from Maryland, and just like maryland or any other state, it depends on where in California you live. Are you leaning towards LA? Do you have kids? it depends on what you are looking for. I for one will not miss Maryland weather, I hate shoveling snow in the winter and I hate being cold! I don't know who said there was no entertainment... For the most part, you need to visit for yourself, and not just SoCal maybe the desert and North Cali too you will see the difference. Seeing for yourself is better than listening to somebody else.

Old 05-31-2007, 12:44 PM

800 posts, read 4,298,750 times
Quote:
Seeing for yourself is better than listening to somebody else.
I agree

Old 05-31-2007, 02:55 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,224,933 times
Candis, I view your issues as all incorrect. However, your attitude about being in California will impact your outcomes.

My kids are in their mid 20's and have each set up shop in LA. Both are doing well, and love being there. They grew up in the Washington DC area and Ohio. They both love and prefer California. They make friends very easily, because they are friendly themselves and accepting of others. Both are so busy they have no time for their parents, who subsequently also moved to California (Sacramento).

Apartments vary but they are paying in the $1500-1800 range for 2 bedrooms. Up here in Sacramento, those would go for about $1200, and about $1800-2000 in San Francisco. Naturally, one bedrooms are less, I would subtract $300-500 for a one bedroom.

Lots of folks out here have money, and lots have less money, and lots have little money. Entertainment is extensive, inexpensive or expensive depending on what you choose, and natural or manmade. Religious and non live out here, with the key being accept the other person and don't try to convince them of the wisdom of your beliefs or point of view.

Missing seasons? You can go to the beach for a couple of hours at noon, and be snow skiing before dinner, without flying anywhere.

It is great.

Old 05-31-2007, 03:20 PM

154 posts, read 926,254 times
That is a pretty broad generalization of the millions of people that live in CA. Maybe the people you talked to are thinking that CA is just like everything that you see on TV. I think that CA people are very normal people just like any other state. There are some people that can be superficial, but the entire state is not like that.
Once again, the entire state of CA is not hollywood. You will meet many people from all over the globe in CA. There are beautiful people and not so beautiful people just like any other area. There is a lot of money in certain areas of CA.
The cost of living here is expensive, but if you lived here you would know why. There are a lot of job opportunities here and you cant beat the weather. There is almost anything that you want and if it is not in the town you live in you can drive to it. You can find cheaper housing, but you have to go pretty far away from any of the major cities.
I hear things like this all of the time. DO these people you talked to even know any Californians? There are thousands of normal down to earth people living here. You might come across some fake people, but it depends on where you hang out. If you live in some of the richer areas of the state this might be true.
Most the people that I work with are regular church goers. I admit though that there might not be as strong of a church following here as there is in other states. have found that people keep their religious beliefs to themselves here so you don't really know. I prefer it that way. My religious beliefs are my own business.
We have seasons here. Summer is hot, but not too hot. Spring is wonderful. Winter is cold, but not freezing (no snow) and Autumn is fantastic. We have wonderful weather here. I really do not think that you will miss Maryland weather.
There is entertainment everywhere. There are a few smaller cities in CA that lack the entertainment, but there is always something within driving distance. We have so many big cities here. So many venues for entertainment, so many sports teams.

Old 05-31-2007, 03:45 PM

2 posts, read 20,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candis View Post
I've asked serveral people that lived in or visited California. The response that I got from them were:

And there were more, however, please let me know if all these stereotypes are true about California. I was really interested in moving there. But if these are true, then I will consider moving somewhere else.
Yes, it's all true, but it could be true to any major city in the US. Definitely figure out why it is you want to come out to LA, or move to anywhere from Maryland. Because if you don't know what you want to move for, chances are you'll be unhappy anywhere, LA or not. If you want to come out to experience it, you should go for it and know that it will only be temporary. If it becomes permanent, that's not necessarily a bad thing. But the worst that could happen if you do move out here is that you realize you don't like it, and you move back to Maryland. I'm sure you have friends and family to support you. But at least you won't spend the rest of your life wondering if you should have done it or not. And, you can find seasons in CA, you just have to drive a little bit outside of Los Angeles proper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California