Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 01:17 AM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times

Advertisements

I sense resentment sometimes for California.

They always make really snide comments about the state. I've noticed that in lots of places.

Strikes me as odd cause in my experience, Californians rarely even think about any other state the way they pay attention to us.

I guess that's what happens when your number 1-everyone wants a piece of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 05:49 AM

889 posts, read 3,117,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
As a native myself who has moved out of the state, I would say a lot of it is jealousy. It has taken me some years to come to the conclusion that there are few states that can offer what California can...but it's not cheap. So if you can't afford to live in the desirable areas, it's easier to talk about all the bad stuff than to confront the fact that you just can't afford to live in the state.

I live on the East Coast now (Mid-Atlantic), and I've met more materialistic and shallow people than I ever did in California. And their mindset...well, that's another thread.

The mindset, i hear you on that one,living in North Carolina now i am sometimes blown away by the "mindset"!!!

Old 05-28-2010, 06:28 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,023,427 times
Ca used to be a nice state to live in but not so much anymore. The lousey politicians have made it so we are over-taxed, over-lawed & over-regulated. DMV fees are out of line with the rest of the nation. IllegaL mexicans are crawling out of the woodwork. Ca has more people in jail then any state in the nation (counties & state). We have a govenor that thinks hes a good govenor when hes dumb as dirt. The LA city council are corrupt as hell & mayor villar is a ignorant moron/womanizer. The DWP in LA OWNS the city council. The LAPD has a unwritten policy of shoot first & ask questions later (like Burbank). The legislature approval rating is 13% & govenor benedict arnolds is 23%. The cops in ca are ticket crazy. If the speed limit it 65 then go 65. Have your tags current, no front side tinted windows & have a front license plate on your car. In yucaipa awhile back i saw a cop (san bernardino county deputy) ticket someone in a private parking lot. I think it was for expired tags. I guess the cop knew he would be driving on a public road soon so he figured he would ticket him now then a few minutes later. The coastal area is nice but VERY expensive to live & shop. The inland areas & deserts are quite hot/dry from june-oct & fire danger is high. The mountain communities are nice & usually get summer rains & thunderstorms unlike the rest of ca. LA is not as hot as the inland areas but its just as dry & can be quite smoggy. Anyways...no place is perfect but i see it getting worse in ca before it gets better. The franchise taxboard (FTB) are agressive & will rob you blind. DONT trust them, the DMV & all the politicians in sacramento, SF & LA.

Old 05-28-2010, 06:53 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
It's kind of like a women frustrated with her weight whispering (in envy) about that "skinny little [female dog]". If you can't beat 'em, hate 'em.

Look at the way LA sports teams are slammed "Beat LA" by opposing fans, for example the rabid boston celtic fans. celtic fans hate the Lakers ten times more than Laker fans hate the celtics - even though the celtics subjected Los Angeles to more sports pain than any other team/city.

Here are the celtic fans cheering "Beat LA" to the sixers in a game played in boston as the sixers were eliminating boston:

YouTube - BEAT LA!

Old 05-28-2010, 08:24 AM

705 posts, read 1,661,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I sense resentment sometimes for California.

They always make really snide comments about the state. I've noticed that in lots of places.

Strikes me as odd cause in my experience, Californians rarely even think about any other state the way they pay attention to us.

I guess that's what happens when your number 1-everyone wants a piece of you.
Yup, I totally agree. Do we really care what anyone says? No, let us exist in a little slice of heaven and all the negative people can stay in their area.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:27 AM

783 posts, read 815,005 times
Why should people be jealous of California now days.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:52 AM

282 posts, read 382,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
Why should people be jealous of California now days.
Because there's more to California than the messed up politics. It's still a very diverse state with all types of recreation and things to do.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:04 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,173,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakland Uptown View Post
Because there's more to California than the messed up politics. It's still a very diverse state with all types of recreation and things to do.

exactly! where else could you go surfing in 65 degree water and go play in the snow an hour later?

Attractions include:
Hollywood
Universal Studios
Six Flags
Knott's Berry Farm
multiple water parks
Big Bear, Mammoth/Lake Tahoe ski areas
Seaworld San Diego
World Famous San Diego Zoo
Joshua Tree National Park
Death Valley/Mohave desert
Imperial Dunes
San Francisco bridge
Sacramento capital buildings
Hollywood wax museum
Farm and ranches
Mountain hiking trails
Coastal hiking trails
Giant redwoods
Yosemite National park
Seqouia National park

the list goes on and on.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:08 AM

2,185 posts, read 5,014,164 times
It's a beautiful state with great weather, but I don't think anyone is jealous of it. I prefer Coloado myself.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:09 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,513,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy19 View Post
exactly! where else could you go surfing in 65 degree water and go play in the snow an hour later?

Attractions include:
Hollywood
Universal Studios
Six Flags
Knott's Berry Farm
multiple water parks
Big Bear, Mammoth/Lake Tahoe ski areas
Seaworld San Diego
World Famous San Diego Zoo
Joshua Tree National Park
Death Valley/Mohave desert
Imperial Dunes
San Francisco bridge
Sacramento capital buildings
Hollywood wax museum
Farm and ranches
Mountain hiking trails
Coastal hiking trails
Giant redwoods
Yosemite National park
Seqouia National park

the list goes on and on.
None of those are "attractions" though to somebody like me. They are nice and all, but I can go to those if I wanted to w/o living there. You just exemplified why people like California though, if you are into that stuff... Me, give me Chicago or New York any day. I guess you could call me a city slicker (like the movie) The only real attraction to me in California is a little 7x7 mile area called San Francisco, and even then there are bigger and better cities in the U.S. SF is a good alternative though and one of the few urban gems in the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California