Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 07:30 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,233,018 times

Advertisements

Well frankly a lot of California is practically uninhabitable, so the "lots of states and countries are more densely populated" argument isn't particularly compelling. Those parts that are habitable are pretty dense and getting denser -- and spreading out too. As for population growth slowing down, that's why I spoke in the past tense while you're acting like I spoke in the present tense. Read for comprehension next time before jumping down someone's throat. Even so, the population has continued to grow faster than the infrastructure can keep up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 01:23 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,616,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
The LA city council are corrupt as hell
At what period in the history of Los Angeles has this NOT been the case?

L.A. city government is DESIGNED to be dysfunctional. It's a wonder the place ever worked at all. When the population was smaller it was easier to get away with dysfunctional government. In many ways (other than politics) California truly was a victim of its own success.

Quote:
mayor villar is a ignorant moron/womanizer.
L.A. has had mayors in the past who were ignorant morons. (Sam Yorty?) And as long as the women a politician sleeps with are of age, it should be of no bearing on whether he is fit for office. If Tony (or any previous L.A. mayor) were sleeping with underage females (or underage males) there would be a genuine issue. Tony (or any other L.A. mayor) sleeping with adult women is no issue. In any case, he doesn't really have that much power compared to Bloomberg or Daley, or even Newsom.

Old 05-29-2010, 09:17 AM

783 posts, read 815,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy19 View Post
This is not a troll thread or meant to start a war but it's more about what people think. okay so Native Californians like myself, claim that when an outsider from another state bashes California or stereoypes it, that they are really just jealous and tired of whatever state their from. I want to know if this is true. Like what's your experience?
There is not much to be jealous about when it comes to California now days sky high income and sales taxes lousy business and investment enviroment and and a ineffective grossly regressive and fundamentaly unfair proporty tax system that is bleeding the state dry out of revenues.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:59 AM

1,077 posts, read 3,239,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
Ca used to be a nice state to live in but not so much anymore. The lousey politicians have made it so we are over-taxed, over-lawed & over-regulated. DMV fees are out of line with the rest of the nation. IllegaL mexicans are crawling out of the woodwork. Ca has more people in jail then any state in the nation (counties & state). We have a govenor that thinks hes a good govenor when hes dumb as dirt. The LA city council are corrupt as hell & mayor villar is a ignorant moron/womanizer. The DWP in LA OWNS the city council. The LAPD has a unwritten policy of shoot first & ask questions later (like Burbank). The legislature approval rating is 13% & govenor benedict arnolds is 23%. The cops in ca are ticket crazy. If the speed limit it 65 then go 65. Have your tags current, no front side tinted windows & have a front license plate on your car. In yucaipa awhile back i saw a cop (san bernardino county deputy) ticket someone in a private parking lot. I think it was for expired tags. I guess the cop knew he would be driving on a public road soon so he figured he would ticket him now then a few minutes later. The coastal area is nice but VERY expensive to live & shop. The inland areas & deserts are quite hot/dry from june-oct & fire danger is high. The mountain communities are nice & usually get summer rains & thunderstorms unlike the rest of ca. LA is not as hot as the inland areas but its just as dry & can be quite smoggy. Anyways...no place is perfect but i see it getting worse in ca before it gets better. The franchise taxboard (FTB) are agressive & will rob you blind. DONT trust them, the DMV & all the politicians in sacramento, SF & LA.
How do you really feel?

Old 05-29-2010, 12:17 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
This is not a troll thread or meant to start a war but it's more about what people think. okay so Native Californians like myself, claim that when an outsider from another state bashes California or stereoypes it, that they are really just jealous and tired of whatever state their from. I want to know if this is true. Like what's your experience?
Well, this would have to apply to all states then, because read any state forum and you will see bashing from those who live there and those who may not have even visited, but have a pre-concieved idea of the state.

I have not seen many people on this thread that bash California unless they live there or have lived there in the past. Actually this very subject with the same title was on here a few months ago or a similar one.

There are many people living in Ca that would love to leave, there are many who have left by choice and there are many that left and would love to go back..but I don't think in any case jealousy is an issue. Why would people bash a place they were jealous of? I guess you are thinking sour grapes or some such thing. I do think some people have a distorted idea of what Ca is like, but that doesn't spell jealousy. I see this with all the people especially the very young ones, who have never even been in the state or visited it once or twice and are ready to move there. No jobs, no money, no family or friends but boy do they want to come to the promise land.

Nita

Old 05-29-2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:
I have a friend that lives in missouri. She's never been to california but she's always grossly stereotyping california saying how everyone here is stuck up and this and that. I defend it and she ends our friendship over that?
This can work both ways. I have seen so many people on this board, mainly people in Ca that feel a certain way about Arkansas. They have never been here, have no clue what the state is like and yet feel they know it better than those who live here. Your friend (if you can call her a friend) needs to visit to see what Ca is all about.

Nita

Old 05-29-2010, 12:59 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,961,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

There are many people living in Ca that would love to leave, there are many who have left by choice and there are many that left and would love to go back.

Nita
You left one out: There are many who have been here their whole lives, still love the place, and have no desire to leave.

Old 05-29-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
You left one out: There are many who have been here their whole lives, still love the place, and have no desire to leave.
you are right, but I think I was referring more to those who often say negative things about California. I know many like you are referring to. Several years ago, we were still in Texas and made a trip back to Ca for about a week. We visited a couple who were once very good friends, we had kids the same age, were the same age and went through the trials of young married life together as well as watching as our lives changed. Anyway, long story short, they were shocked when we told them we were not retiring back to California. They simply couldn't believe it. We have other friends with similar attitudes but they were the most die in the wool CA loyalists I have ever known. They lived for the Lakers, the Dodgers, UCLA, even the school system. The wife has since passed away and we haven't seen him for maybe 10 years. He still lives in the same house they bought for about $25,000 in 1965.

Nita

Old 05-29-2010, 03:08 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,961,475 times
I'm not quite that diehard. I can understand why people would want to spread their wings and live elsewhere. In fact, not counting my 6 years away in the military (where I learned to despise the South in Summer) that's what I did once upon a time. However, the ties of family were stronger, so here I am to stay. Of course, still loving the life in So Cal helps that situation immensely.

Old 05-29-2010, 03:40 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,495,600 times
Quote:
OK! My wife and I are both native Californians and retired state workers who moved out of state last year.

Thursday was a great reminder of the principles upon which this country was founded that are alive and well here in the heartland. My wife decided to give me the concealable gun of my choice since we're in a CCW, must issue state

To buy the gun we purchased wouldn't have happened in California since S&W isn't knuckling under to all the drop-testing and other requirements there. Had I purchased an "approved" gun in California (read: limited choices) I would have been thumb printed, filled out the necessary federal questionnaire, would have to have attested to the fact that I had secure storage (i.e. a gun safe and give them the model and other info) and would have had to bring a lockable case and/or trigger lock before they released the gun to me. All this even though there are no children in our home. Additionally, I would have had to wait 10 days before I could pick it up.

We walked into the gun store here. I looked at and handled three different guns, made my selection and filled out the federal paperwork. I then handed them my driver's license and they made a call to the MO DOJ who cleared me in seconds and they handed me the gun in an unlocked case. I was then free to go, gun in hand. I also bought two boxes of ammunition for which, in CA, I believe would have to be thumb printed again and fill out more paperwork . I might not have even been able to purchase more than one box every 30 days but I'm not sure, but I do know I'd have had to wait at least that long before making another gun purchase. As for a permit to carry, forget about it.

It's these bedrock principles that many of us have fought for. I'm so happy to be living where they still work, are respected and are adhered to. I love bein' a hillbilly!

It's particularly wonderful that the governance of this state, for the most part, trusts its citizens to do what's right. I'd really missed that in California where the Legislature seems to believe they know best, even if they can't balance their check books!

Envy/jealousy? I don't think so!

Have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend everyone! Remember, if you have an American flag, on Monday, raise it to the top then lower it to fly at half-mast until noon, then raise it all the way up for the rest of the day. If you have a fixed flag, please put it out. God bless our soldiers, sailors, aimen, coast guard and Marines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California