Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 02:55 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zed42 View Post
I usually don't like to call someone out about a statement
but your above statement about living fulltime in a RV is off base.
But if that isn't what the statement was about ...where does that leave us?
btw.. it wasn't.

You should probably read the entire statement LINK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2019, 03:07 PM

424 posts, read 580,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
But if that isn't what the statement was about ...where does that leave us?
btw.. it wasn't.

You should probably read the entire statement LINK
I read the entire post prior to my statement. FYI we lived in our motorhome for over 9 years and traveled most of the country. In the winter we stated in AZ and TX, we met numerous people in many locals and I can't remember one person having anything negative to stay. There are people that live fulltime in a RV while they are working on a job then move on to the next job when the present job is finished. Take a look at the fulltime RV community before you make irrational statements. Here is a good place to start.
https://www.fulltimefamilies.com/

Old 07-17-2019, 03:27 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zed42 View Post
I read the entire post prior to my statement.
Does that mean post #3 where I laid it out carefully?

Quote:
FYI we lived in our motorhome for over 9 years and traveled most of the country.
Yeah? I did as well. Not that long though.

Quote:
In the winter we stated in AZ and TX...
S Texas? That was worse than AZ. I'd go to FL.
Quote:
There are people that live fulltime in a RV while they are working on a job
then move on to the next job when the present job is finished.
Yep. That was a big part of it.

btw: There's a post above here in the RV remodel section about my bathroom.
You can probably search for the pictures. It was way cool and worked well.
= = = =

Cutting to the chase: The issue here is only about where the rig is parked.
If you can live the life and park where you've been welcomed... that's great.
If that applied to more than some small portion of urban stealth campers there wouldn't be a thread.

Old 09-03-2019, 10:50 AM

305 posts, read 241,429 times
If living in a RV is something you want to do or forced to do then embrace it and never look back. Hey it is a lot better than lots of our ancestors lived in.

Old 09-03-2019, 11:43 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVFullTimer View Post
Yes, I consider full time living in a RV to be an appropriate use especially when your income is way below the poverty line. I didn't plan for disability it just happened. I could apply for section 8 housing but then I would just shoot myself to end that misery. Did you know they have like a 2 year waiting list to even get into section 8 housing. You suggested buy/rent a small place but that is impossible as the rents exceed my income. Due to fixed disability income I do not qualify for a loan on land so what I can do is get a cash advance (VISA) to purchase a acre of land somewhere and then pay back the loan in monthly installments. The problem with the cash advance is that it is 26% interest but it is still do-able. Hopefully I can find a seller willing to do partial financing without the need for a cash advance.

One more thing. Why do people frown upon someone living in a RV when the RV has everything I need. Just because it is on wheels and not stuck to a foundation. Do you think a RV is too small or just has the stigma of trashy? In some cases there are trashy RV people out there but there are also trashy houses out there too. My 36' fifth wheel with three slides is actually pretty roomy and bigger than some cabins or tiny houses. I don't understand the tiny house thing when it usually costs much more than a used RV that already has everything and the tiny house on wheels is not as mobile and usually smaller. I purchased my RV on Craigslist in 2014 for $2K and put about $8K into it, mostly leak repairs. I did the repairs myself. I now insure it for $25k. I just mentioned that so that you know it's possible to get a nice RV without having to spend a fortune on one, although finding a 36' three axle fifth wheel for 2k is rare.

To sum things up I need to purchase land to park my RV on because there are no other options. I can afford to pay on the land loan but not on standard rent or even RV space rent. RV space rents have gone way up and typical space rent is $650.00 monthly. The land loan payments are much lower than any type of rent out there and I'm not talking about a 30 year loan either. More like 5 to 10 with a down payment.
That's not exactly true. I think of Washington as legally a bit more friendly to full-timers than some other states, because it is usually not illegal to sleep in your vehicle, as it is in, say, many California cities. Even in Seattle it is legal to sleep in your vehicle. Learn how long you can park in one place (72 hours is common), and move your RV before that time is up.

If you buy land with the intention to park your RV long-term, you will run into permitting issues, but that's true in most states, for good reasons. But if you obey parking regulations, can afford to maintain your RV physically, can afford the gas to move it at least a few blocks every few days, don't dump your sewage into the street, or leave trash and broken barbecues strewn around your parking place, you can indeed live in your RV with minimal hassle. Also, there is a Washington legal decision that if your only home is an RV, while it can be towed and impounded if it is parked illegally, they cannot charge you retrieval fees so excessive that you are rendered homeless because you can't afford the fees.

I suggest you become a regular at the www.cheaprvliving.com forum. Many disabled low-income people who live in RVs participate there, you will get real-world advice on how to do it, you can develop some very helpful relationships, and join the efforts to find creative ways to make the world friendlier for full-timers.

www.escapees.com is the grandma of all full-timer organizations, and a font of information and useful services. IIRC, their annual membership fee is $40. But they are more oriented toward people who are not low-income.

Most of the time, full-timers get in trouble because they ignore parking regulations and/or make a mess of their surroundings. So don't ignore parking regulations or make a mess of your surroundings. Just make sure you look like a traveller and not like a squatter. RVs are big business, many houseless/landless people are traveling in them full-time, and they don't park in an RV park every night or even most nights. And they don't necessarily spend most of their time doing long-distance travel either.

Last edited by jacqueg; 09-03-2019 at 12:09 PM..

Old 09-03-2019, 02:24 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Be careful trying to winter somewhere in an RV somewhere cold. They aren't really set up for snow and ice.

Old 09-05-2019, 08:39 AM

250 posts, read 529,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I suggest you become a regular at the www.cheaprvliving.com forum.
There is also a huge percentage of people who use that forum that have learned how to e-beg from the biggest e-beggar of all, Bob Wells. He does every electronic form of panhandling you can think of. If you need money, get a job, don't beg strangers for donations. I don't even consider him a real man because he begs for money like he does. He is no better in my eyes than the bums that sit at the end of the off ramps with a cup and s sign begging for change. That site is a training ground for people who are too lazy to get a job and choose to beg for money from old retired people who think they are doing a good deed by enabling the beggars.

Old 09-05-2019, 10:36 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,081,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1261 View Post
There is also a huge percentage of people who use that forum that have learned how to e-beg from the biggest e-beggar of all, Bob Wells. He does every electronic form of panhandling you can think of. If you need money, get a job, don't beg strangers for donations. I don't even consider him a real man because he begs for money like he does. He is no better in my eyes than the bums that sit at the end of the off ramps with a cup and s sign begging for change. That site is a training ground for people who are too lazy to get a job and choose to beg for money from old retired people who think they are doing a good deed by enabling the beggars.
You're talking about YouTubers? They're providing entertainment using social media platforms. Not the same thing as bums. If people are willingly giving YouTubers money as a result of said entertainment, then that is a job. People have to hustle to make a living off of that, and very few who try are capable of putting in the proper work to rise to that status.

Old 09-06-2019, 06:41 AM

305 posts, read 241,429 times
Default Stop the hating

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1261 View Post

I think Bob Wells advice is ok. He actually runs a charity org that helps people in need. He gives lots of free advice, I have never and I mean never sent any you tube rver any money. I will admit I watch plenty of their videos.

Old 09-07-2019, 06:36 PM

250 posts, read 529,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubMike View Post
I think Bob Wells advice is ok. He actually runs a charity org that helps people in need. He gives lots of free advice, I have never and I mean never sent any you tube rver any money. I will admit I watch plenty of their videos.
Bob Wells is a bum. You are entitled to your opinion of him, and I am entitled to mine. He begs people for money. That makes him a bum. He retired on a dubious workers comp claim and earns well over $100k a year by being a bum.

Most of the youtube RV people are just shills who trade good reviews for free stuff. Depreys are 2 of the most notorious shills. RV With Tito as well.

I used to write a tech column for a newspaper. People sent me products to test all the time. Software, hardware, routers, monitors.... I tested it, reviewed it, and sent it back. Every time but one. And that onetime I sent them a check for the item. People who trade positive reviews for free products are scumbags with no scruples or moral compass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing