Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 07:36 PM

130 posts, read 86,388 times

Advertisements

Here in WA. State it is technically not legal to live in a RV all year unless you are in a RV park YUK! I have spoke with some counties that state they do not enforce that law unless there is a problem such as not having a septic system. I would like to purchase a acre of land and considering moving to another state but what states are RV friendly and allow full time RV living? I like the mountains, rivers and lakes and don't care much for the desert. I like rural areas and small towns. I am looking for peace and quiet and a place to play with my dog. Any ideas would be appreciated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2019, 09:23 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
MT is the most lax western state on building permits, but does require a septic permit for FT residence.

MT is very RV friendly for new / high end buyers (lifetime registration on some RV's and no sales tax).

Many FT RV'rs use next door South Dakota as income tax free domicile (One overnight per lifetime = permanent resident)

Very common to FLEE WA and run to ID or MT.

I prefer income tax free WY, but weather is harsh and land costs very high.

Old 06-11-2019, 04:52 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVFullTimer View Post
Which States Are RV Friendly?
I believe this Q is entirely in HOW the rig is used.

Have a safe and non-annoying place to park the rig when you aren't out traveling
and then take good care of it and how you conduct yourself traveling... and everywhere's friendly.

Quote:
Here in WA. State it is technically not legal to live in a RV all year...
Do you really consider this to be an appropriate use for an RV?

If so... I really doubt you'll find "friendly" anywhere.
Tolerant will be in short supply.

Quote:
I like rural areas and small towns.
I am looking for peace and quiet and a place to play with my dog.
Any ideas would be appreciated?
Pick one of these rural areas or small towns you like. Buy/rent a small place there. Settle in.

Old 06-12-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
MT is the most lax western state on building permits, but does require a septic permit for FT residence.

MT is very RV friendly for new / high end buyers (lifetime registration on some RV's and no sales tax).

Many FT RV'rs use next door South Dakota as income tax free domicile (One overnight per lifetime = permanent resident)

Very common to FLEE WA and run to ID or MT.

I prefer income tax free WY, but weather is harsh and land costs very high.

I have been thinking maybe Idaho but I am worried about the cold winters and I hear they get a lot of snow. Here in western WA. the Pacific Ocean keeps everything here pretty mild. I would think MT would be even colder than Idaho. Thanks, I will still keep these two as considerations.

Old 06-12-2019, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I believe this Q is entirely in HOW the rig is used.

Have a safe and non-annoying place to park the rig when you aren't out traveling
and then take good care of it and how you conduct yourself traveling... and everywhere's friendly.

Do you really consider this to be an appropriate use for an RV?

If so... I really doubt you'll find "friendly" anywhere.
Tolerant will be in short supply.

Pick one of these rural areas or small towns you like. Buy/rent a small place there. Settle in.

Yes, I consider full time living in a RV to be an appropriate use especially when your income is way below the poverty line. I didn't plan for disability it just happened. I could apply for section 8 housing but then I would just shoot myself to end that misery. Did you know they have like a 2 year waiting list to even get into section 8 housing. You suggested buy/rent a small place but that is impossible as the rents exceed my income. Due to fixed disability income I do not qualify for a loan on land so what I can do is get a cash advance (VISA) to purchase a acre of land somewhere and then pay back the loan in monthly installments. The problem with the cash advance is that it is 26% interest but it is still do-able. Hopefully I can find a seller willing to do partial financing without the need for a cash advance.

One more thing. Why do people frown upon someone living in a RV when the RV has everything I need. Just because it is on wheels and not stuck to a foundation. Do you think a RV is too small or just has the stigma of trashy? In some cases there are trashy RV people out there but there are also trashy houses out there too. My 36' fifth wheel with three slides is actually pretty roomy and bigger than some cabins or tiny houses. I don't understand the tiny house thing when it usually costs much more than a used RV that already has everything and the tiny house on wheels is not as mobile and usually smaller. I purchased my RV on Craigslist in 2014 for $2K and put about $8K into it, mostly leak repairs. I did the repairs myself. I now insure it for $25k. I just mentioned that so that you know it's possible to get a nice RV without having to spend a fortune on one, although finding a 36' three axle fifth wheel for 2k is rare.

To sum things up I need to purchase land to park my RV on because there are no other options. I can afford to pay on the land loan but not on standard rent or even RV space rent. RV space rents have gone way up and typical space rent is $650.00 monthly. The land loan payments are much lower than any type of rent out there and I'm not talking about a 30 year loan either. More like 5 to 10 with a down payment.

Old 06-12-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Yes, I consider full time living in a RV to be an appropriate use ...
Why do people frown upon someone living in a RV ...
Because most don't agree.

Old 06-12-2019, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Because most don't agree.

Depends on who you think "most" is which is more than likely house owners and only your opinion. My opinion is that I bet most RV owners will disagree with you.

Old 06-13-2019, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Depends on who you think "most" is ...
Most are the people who support the zoning and habitability laws you're running up against.
There are ways around those laws in many places... but they will cost real $$.

Old 06-13-2019, 07:57 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Most are the people who support the zoning and habitability laws you're running up against.
There are ways around those laws in many places... but they will cost real $$.
Land may be cheap, but a septic system can cost $15,000-25,000. A well for water $10,000. If your land is on street with utilities you would have to hook up to them and that can be even more costly for the utility to dig up the street and run the pipes to your site. If you are planning to do dry camping and bring in water, I doubt that any jurisdiction would allow that. The typical full-time RVer is on the move, staying at parks all around the country. Even in Seattle they are finally cracking down on the homeless
living in old RVs.

https://komonews.com/news/local/seat...datory-sellers

Old 06-13-2019, 08:23 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Come to Portland and 'set-up-camp' on a city park.

The police will protect you.

There are plenty of other options;
(I install my own septics for >$2500). I take the 'self install septic test' and have my own trackhoe (You can rent for $300 / weekend).

I have 8 neighbors with RV and ADU's, we move RV's every 29 days when the drones are checking up on us. No one in our area encourages full time living in RV's in one spot...

Build a shop ($20k) and stick the RV inside (Better to have apartment inside IMHO)

BLM is about as good as it gets for 'non-snow'/ Don't like it?,

consider international options. My beachside apartment in Thailand was $400 / month and medical and food is cheap. $400 will get you a 'one-way-fare'. You leave Thailand every 60 days on a $10 bus ticket and come back in a couple weeks if you can't find a better place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing