Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 08:34 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,592,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound View Post
Wouldn't MRE's be easier? No pre-prep, no heavy cans, no extra sauces or spices to carry. And all kinds of different types of meals for you to choose from. Yum? Yum?
MREs are ok, but, unlike regular food, they are somewhat hard or inconvenient to find, not to mention expensive. The things I take camping can just be found at the grocery store or the local Walmart. While preparing for a recent camping trip, I found single use pouches of pancake mix that make something like 3 servings. All you do is add 1 cup of water to the mix, stir, and cook. They go great with fresh fruit and either bacon or sausage for breakfast. There are also pouches of mashed potatoes, rice, or pasta that are very easy to make. Canned goods are convenient, too. Things like these make cooking while camping easy, and go well with a good porterhouse or rib eye steak at dinnertime.

While MREs are somewhat convenient if you have access to them, there are plenty of simple alternatives available that make cooking while camping a fairly easy process. I can share info about specific products if needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 03:26 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,142,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
MREs are ok, but, unlike regular food, they are somewhat hard or inconvenient to find, not to mention expensive. The things I take camping can just be found at the grocery store or the local Walmart. While preparing for a recent camping trip, I found single use pouches of pancake mix that make something like 3 servings. All you do is add 1 cup of water to the mix, stir, and cook. They go great with fresh fruit and either bacon or sausage for breakfast. There are also pouches of mashed potatoes, rice, or pasta that are very easy to make. Canned goods are convenient, too. Things like these make cooking while camping easy, and go well with a good porterhouse or rib eye steak at dinnertime.

While MREs are somewhat convenient if you have access to them, there are plenty of simple alternatives available that make cooking while camping a fairly easy process. I can share info about specific products if needed.
My reply was just a joke.
I hated eating those dang things when I was in the service. Although I do keep some in the basement incase of a disaster, they are great for long term storage for emergancy use.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound View Post
My reply was just a joke.
I hated eating those dang things when I was in the service. Although I do keep some in the basement incase of a disaster, they are great for long term storage for emergancy use.
Well, they do work well for some folks... like they did for you while you were in the service! Thank you for that service, by the way. Whether you were serious or not, it was a reasonable suggestion, which is why I responded as I did. I'm with you, though, that they're great to have on hand in case of a disaster. The same could be said of most of my camping gear, too. A propane stove and lantern, one or more tents (I probably have about five), some sleeping bags, cooking utensils, a dutch oven, pots and pans, cooking and cleaning supplies, toiletries, and so on will all be valuable when disaster strikes. In times of severe natural or possibly even economic disaster, these things may mean the difference between surviving and not surviving.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Well, they do work well for some folks... like they did for you while you were in the service! Thank you for that service, by the way. Whether you were serious or not, it was a reasonable suggestion, which is why I responded as I did. I'm with you, though, that they're great to have on hand in case of a disaster. The same could be said of most of my camping gear, too. A propane stove and lantern, one or more tents (I probably have about five), some sleeping bags, cooking utensils, a dutch oven, pots and pans, cooking and cleaning supplies, toiletries, and so on will all be valuable when disaster strikes. In times of severe natural or possibly even economic disaster, these things may mean the difference between surviving and not surviving.
Like the song says, "give me a gun , a knife, and a four wheel drive. A country boy can servive". They needed to add, "Fishing pole , to that song". Oh, and the MRE's, never eat the cheese or peanutbutter. You won't need (toiletries) TP for a long time after eating to much of that stuff .

Old 07-21-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
Like the song says, "give me a gun , a knife, and a four wheel drive. A country boy can servive". They needed to add, "Fishing pole , to that song". Oh, and the MRE's, never eat the cheese or peanutbutter. You won't need (toiletries) TP for a long time after eating to much of that stuff .
Actually, the quote is "I've got a shotgun, a rifle, and a four-wheel drive, and a country boy can survive." I agree that fishing gear is important, too, along with other basic survival gear, such as tents and sleeping bags (and that knife you mentioned). The song does illustrate the point pretty well, even so.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Actually, the quote is "I've got a shotgun, a rifle, and a four-wheel drive, and a country boy can survive." I agree that fishing gear is important, too, along with other basic survival gear, such as tents and sleeping bags (and that knife you mentioned). The song does illustrate the point pretty well, even so.

Well I never did say that I could sing

But thanks for setting the facts in thier propper order

Old 07-31-2009, 06:46 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,235,583 times
Anyone eat spam?

Old 07-31-2009, 08:12 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
Anyone eat spam?
Fried spam is good fried spam and eggs, through in a side of hashbrowns and coffee, good to go.

Old 07-31-2009, 08:43 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,235,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Fried spam is good fried spam and eggs, through in a side of hashbrowns and coffee, good to go.
We have the generic version, shur sav or shur fine, after it's fried, I can't tell the dif.
so, bears can rip a camper open? I don't feel so safe and secure now. I'll be sleeping with one eye and one ear open now. These BLM and national forest camp places get so dark at night. wooooo.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:15 PM

66 posts, read 156,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
Anyone eat spam?
No I just delete it.

Hey honestly if this deep economic depression dont improve soon then many of us will have to develop a taste for that gross stuff. Honestly though I would rather starve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing