Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 07:26 AM

233 posts, read 538,619 times

Advertisements

What's the price for an apartment in Montreal if people here think he can afford rent, insurance, gas and what not for $800 a month?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 07:56 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,863,105 times
He can't afford to have a car and pay for insurance and gas on $800 a month. Are you kidding me? On $800 a month he could probably afford a roommate situation plus groceries and maybe a cell phone bill. He won't be able to afford international student tuition at Concordia or McGill. I wonder if CEGEPs will accept international students.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:08 PM

7 posts, read 10,649 times
I'm a female. My parents will pay for my schooling, cell phone bill and car insurance. I work and pay 525 a month for rent and the rest goes to gas, food, and going out

Old 08-07-2012, 04:09 PM

7 posts, read 10,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Yup, unquestionably the best city in Canada for a student on a budget. Figure out where you want to study (Concordia University or McGill University, unless you want to study at a French uni) and then look for nearby apartments. Is there any specific advice you want?

montreal apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist
http://montreal.en.craigslist.ca/roo/

4 and half 5 and a half such indicate the total number of rooms in an apartment, the half being the bathroom. Just local nomenclature for housing. Also most people move apartments July 1st, so that's not a bad time to look to sign a new lease but getting a moving truck is hell.
Thanks. I started looking for I have a rough idea how much I would be paying

Old 08-07-2012, 04:15 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,529,527 times
You wouldn't necessarily need a car in Montreal if you went to one of the donwtown universities, vast majority of students don't have one. Still, I suppose it might be nice to have if you've already got one.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:38 PM

242 posts, read 510,953 times
Montreal for sure. Very gay friendly (some of the best gay right laws in Canada), tons of night clubs, incredible restaurants, awesome subway system, and a bustling night life. There is always something to do. The real estate prices are cheaper than Toronto and Vancouver as well as the cost of living in general. Montreal is a very unique city that can't be compared to anything else in North America. It's got a Euro vibe with lots of museums, art galleries, old churches, shopping malls, cafes, and outdoor patios. I'd look into it. If you end up becoming a citizen of Quebec you will have the lowest school costs in North America.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
Montreal for sure. Very gay friendly (some of the best gay right laws in Canada)... I'd look into it. If you end up becoming a citizen of Quebec you will have the lowest school costs in North America.
I'm pretty sure all of Canada has essentially the same gay rights laws, although it's true that the people in Montreal are very accepting of same-sex relationships. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that the culture is pretty relaxed about sexuality generally. As for becoming a "citizen of Quebec", if one becomes a citizen of Canada with established Quebec residency then one qualifies for cheap tuition, but as the OP is of university age now and is coming on a student visa this would not apply to her.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:56 AM

You said you're "gay" which is a term usually used by homosexual males, so you can't fault me for assuming you were male. Further, you didn't specify your sex. If you said "lesbian" - the term usually used by female homosexuals - then it would have been a fair assumption that you're a female.

Your plan will likely not work because you will not qualify for Quebec in-province tuition rates. Your tuition will be the much, much higher international student rate and your only hope would be to qualify for U.S. student loans (which can be difficult to get for attendance at a school in Canada, from what I've heard).

Old 08-08-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
You said you're "gay" which is a term usually used by homosexual males, so you can't fault me for assuming you were male. Further, you didn't specify your sex. If you said "lesbian" - the term usually used by female homosexuals - then it would have been a fair assumption that you're a female.

Your plan will likely not work because you will not qualify for Quebec in-province tuition rates. Your tuition will be the much, much higher international student rate and your only hope would be to qualify for U.S. student loans (which can be difficult to get for attendance at a school in Canada, from what I've heard).
International tuition is still cheaper then equivalent tuition at a US school, as evidenced by the thousands of US students going to Montreal universities. Considering so many do it I'm sure it's not that hard to get financing.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:49 PM

It's my understanding that in the recent years it has become more difficult to do... that is to get federally backed student loans for attending a university outside of the U.S. I am not an expert on this by any means however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada