Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2016, 08:40 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,059,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by torontocheeka View Post
http://assets4.bigthink.com/system/t...png?1356288129

America is the only OECD country that does not require employers to provide even a day of paid leave to its employees, and 1 in 4 American workers reports taking no time off at all.

The average American takes 11 days off per year, citing concerns about job security. The only people who take less are the Chinese and South Koreans.

The average Canadian gets 15 paid days off, and takes all 15. That's still not enough compared to Australians, Danish, French, Finnish, Dutch, and especially German workers, who take 30.

I know you likely don't care about average Canadians or any of their concerns as long as you're good, but again, I assert that Canadians are entitled to cultural sovereignty. If we don't want to fold into American culture in order to compete with American workers, there is nothing wrong with that.
Sure, but the percentage of the population of Canada that would likely be in markjames' privileged demographic is likely slightly higher than it is in the U.S.

Canada has less of an underclass to start with, and it's generally less down-on-its-luck than the underclass in the U.S. is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 08:41 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,263,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Y
As for the actual French classes that are offered to all kids in Canadian anglophone schools, well the fact that people don't even gain the skills required to read a menu has as much to do with attitude as with the quality of teaching (which I agree is not always stellar).
With the exception, of course, of French Immersion programs.

I do agree that everyone should learn multiple languages wherever possible. The US gets away with not having to because it's the world superpower (following England's domination, which of course also spoke the same language). English is the world's business language.

If there's a language for up-and-coming kids to learn today it's probably Mandarin. I am starting down that road myself (as a fifth language) but it's admittedly slow going.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Sure, but the percentage of the population of Canada that would likely be in markjames' privileged demographic is likely slightly higher than it is in the U.S.

Canada has less of an underclass to start with, and it's generally less down-on-its-luck than the underclass in the U.S. is.
I'll be the first to agree with you. If you want or have to be "average", or "below average", it is MUCH better to be in Canada.

If you want to excel and be at the top of your field, it is MUCH better to be in the US from an employment standpoint. This goes for medicine, technology, just about every field. There may be a handful of exceptions but I challenge anyone to dispute this as a general rule.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I'll be the first to agree with you. If you want or have to be "average", or "below average", it is MUCH better to be in Canada.

If you want to excel and be at the top of your field, it is MUCH better to be in the US from an employment standpoint. This goes for medicine, technology, just about every field. There may be a handful of exceptions but I challenge anyone to dispute this as a general rule.
If you were to do a socio-economic pyramid the U.S. would have bigger bulges than Canada at both the top and the bottom.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:59 AM

Quote:
If you were to do a socio-economic pyramid the U.S. would have bigger bulges than Canada at both the top and the bottom.
It's more of a barbell chart, agreed, with the middle class being squeezed. But if you want to make something of yourself and are prepared to actually work for it the US can be a great option.

Where the US isn't a great option is if (1) you prefer leisure time to growing your career when it counts, (2) you are in a group subject to discrimination, legal or otherwise. Canada is more egalitarian in most respects.

Old 02-11-2016, 09:07 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,893,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post

Where the US isn't a great option is if (1) you prefer leisure time to growing your career when it counts
Work/life balance is VERY important.. I'm sure there are a lot of studies out there that look at the long term impact to health when life is just work work work and a drive to 'succeed' from a career perspective.

It would also be interesting to ask those that didn't take the opportunity to enjoy the fruits of their labour if it was all worth it.. I think there is also an impact on family when their loved one is only focused on career of too much focused on it..

I think it is entirely possible to have a 'successful' life where you balance work with leisure and family.. You may actually be more productive and much less likely to burn out. Might be a little less costly from a H.C perpective as well in the long run.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:00 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,571,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Work/life balance is VERY important.. I'm sure there are a lot of studies out there that look at the long term impact to health when life is just work work work and a drive to 'succeed' from a career perspective.

It would also be interesting to ask those that didn't take the opportunity to enjoy the fruits of their labour if it was all worth it.. I think there is also an impact on family when their loved one is only focused on career of too much focused on it..

I think it is entirely possible to have a 'successful' life where you balance work with leisure and family.. You may actually be more productive and much less likely to burn out. Might be a little less costly from a H.C perpective as well in the long run.
You're alive!! Welcome back !!

Old 02-11-2016, 11:03 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,893,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
You're alive!! Welcome back !!
merci

Old 02-11-2016, 11:27 AM

Location: The worlds most liveable city in the worlds most livable nation! "The most beautiful place on Earth"
52 posts, read 47,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post

The difference is bigger than that. There are also cultural differences. That work takes an even bigger toll due to the inherent rudeness and racism of American people. People are happier in Canada not because we are a richer, healthier, less-racist and more intelligent society but also because we can interact with each other without the boorish behaviour that Americans adopt. Key point: we don't have anything like the dangerous hood life coloured troublemakers from Detroit that Americans think are so cool. No, murdering people for pennies is NOT cool. Those people are the perfect example of the difference between Canadianness and Americanness. Or compare to a peaceful Canadian farmer. He FARMS. Then there are American farmers. Their idea of farming apparently involves means shooting people with assault rifles.

Old 02-11-2016, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canada number one View Post
The difference is bigger than that. There are also cultural differences. That work takes an even bigger toll due to the inherent rudeness and racism of American people. People are happier in Canada not because we are a richer, healthier, less-racist and more intelligent society but also because we can interact with each other without the boorish behaviour that Americans adopt. Key point: we don't have anything like the dangerous hood life coloured troublemakers from Detroit that Americans think are so cool. No, murdering people for pennies is NOT cool. Those people are the perfect example of the difference between Canadianness and Americanness. Or compare to a peaceful Canadian farmer. He FARMS. Then there are American farmers. Their idea of farming apparently involves means shooting people with assault rifles.
Here we go again. Fusion, you really glad to be back?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada