Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2016, 11:03 AM

854 posts, read 586,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post

That's very interesting, I'd never heard of them, although I had heard about the "Alberta First" party. Can you tell me if they have ever held a referendum? That would be a sign to me that they're being taken seriously by their populace, in which case, I will also take them seriously.

After all, we have a "Christian Heritage" fascist party but nobody takes them seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torontocheeka View Post
That's very interesting, I'd never heard of them, although I had heard about the "Alberta First" party. Can you tell me if they have ever held a referendum? That would be a sign to me that they're being taken seriously by their populace, in which case, I will also take them seriously.

After all, we have a "Christian Heritage" fascist party but nobody takes them seriously.

Just read this in the article you posted: "In the April 2012 Alberta election, the Separation Party had only one candidate, who received only 68 votes, or 0.006% of the popular vote in the province."

So I'm going to go with, no. Nobody takes them seriously.

I will amend my initial statement to, "Quebec is the only province with a legitimate separatist party." And add that with 93% voter turnout, roughly 50% of the population 20 years ago voted for secession.

Apples with apples, they say.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:22 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,053,631 times
Quote:
With all due respect (truly, you seem like a very reasonable and nice guy), how is pointing out that a lot of Quebecois hate being Canadian and hate English-Canadians a form of racism exactly? It's the only province with a separatist party!
You called canada number one's hateful and borderline racist post "hilarious". That's what I was referring to.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:38 AM

7,682 posts, read 5,533,957 times
Quote:
So I'm going to go with, no. Nobody takes them seriously.
I never said they did. I simply corrected your false statement.

I've lived several years in each of four different provinces. I moved to Montreal four months before the FLQ crisis. I still remember of glancing out of a bus window and the shock at seeing armed soldiers guarding a foreign consulate. I remember some months later inviting my best friend, a French Canadian, and her new boyfriend for dinner. He turned out to be a Separatist. We sort of glared at each other all evening but in deference to our mutual friend, we remained polite. She looked relieved when the evening was over.

I never felt any hate from the boyfriend. Anger and resentment yes. And I understood his feelings and didn't take it personally. I simply did not want my country to break up. In the years that followed I never felt any hate from anyone. Montreal was a very youthful city in the 70s (compared to "Toronto the Good" as it was known back then) and I had a lot of fun. I did get sick and tired of all the politics though and was happy to go on to my next adventure by joining the flood of English-speaking employees transferred to Toronto.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
You called canada number one's hateful and borderline racist post "hilarious". That's what I was referring to.

I think his posts are a bit absurd but I can't deny that each and every single one of them made me laugh out loud with how over-the-top they were. So yeah, I find him hilarious. I'm sorry. I tend to find a lot of really inappropriate things funny.

For example, this Frenchie is my favourite funny person:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es9bWvI8mkM

He's built an entire career on being inappropriate.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:51 AM

Location: The worlds most liveable city in the worlds most livable nation! "The most beautiful place on Earth"
52 posts, read 47,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
What is borderline racist about my assessment of Quebec? It's borderline racist to call out a government that instills racist and discriminatory practices onto it's inhabitants? There is nothing wrong with Quebec but it defintely needs to catch up to the rest of Canada. The French Quebeckers come from France so they are more predisposed towards racism but it isn't anything that can't be solved with a little education and the right guidance. If anything it's borderline racist to ban the speaking of English and impose special rules for that minority to follow.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:56 AM

Location: The worlds most liveable city in the worlds most livable nation! "The most beautiful place on Earth"
Quote:
I did get sick and tired of all the politics though and was happy to go on to my next adventure by joining the flood of English-speaking employees transferred to Toronto.
That's what bothers me. They discriminated enough against the English speaking community that most of them fled like refugees to Ontario where they found tolerance for people of all colours and nationalities. The worst thing we can do is let Quebec achieve independence because of the way they will treat our Asians and Blacks and the other minority groups.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canada number one View Post
That's what bothers me. They discriminated enough against the English speaking community that most of them fled like refugees to Ontario where they found tolerance for people of all colours and nationalities. The worst thing we can do is let Quebec achieve independence because of the way they will treat our Asians and Blacks and the other minority groups.
You're clueless. The company migration had nothing to do with tolerance and everything to do with money. As far as discrimination is concerned, I worked for a Fortune 500 company and was only aware of a handful of French Canadians in management positions.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:18 PM

Quote:
You're clueless. The company migration had nothing to do with tolerance and everything to do with money.
I'm clueless? Maybe in your example but generally English speakers fled Quebec due to discrimination and that is a solid fact. Why? Because they sought the values of tolerance, diversity, and multiculturalism, all which if we are being generous are flimsy in Quebec.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canada number one View Post
I'm clueless? Maybe in your example but generally English speakers fled Quebec due to discrimination and that is a solid fact. Why? Because they sought the values of tolerance, diversity, and multiculturalism, all which if we are being generous are flimsy in Quebec.
Mainly because of my job I personally met and talked to several hundred Canadians who were transferred out of Quebec. They had no say. The company didn't ask their opinions or preferences but simplify announced - move or lose your job. It was a tough decision for many with family ties in the city. I worked in the Treasury department of my company. The department was moved to get the money out of the province in case it became independent. Nothing to do with tolerance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada