Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2015, 05:58 PM

869 posts, read 1,125,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
My Question to English Canadians - those living here at least half the year on a yoy basis is - does this seemingly lack of English Canadian pan national culture bother you??
Oooh yeah, Im totally cheesed off about it

Quote:
If so what can be done about it to develop something more cohesive that expresses something unique and interesting about our nation.
I am currently working on launching a City-Data.CA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 06:17 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsereed View Post
Oooh yeah, Im totally cheesed off about it

I am currently working on launching a City-Data.CA
AAAaaaH Gawd, that was brilliant, absolutely brilliant!

Old 05-11-2015, 07:25 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times
Quote:
I think this is what gets a certain poster in here living in Dixie really excited is to point out clueless Canadians and Ontarians and their hypocrisy - gets her all excited to point it out

She should do a Mercer thing up in Canada about Americans...
Excited? Nah. I was just taking a quick break from work when I wrote that. I was a little bored at the time, actually.

But there is a certain poster here living in Toronto who gets really excited to point out another poster who points out clueless Canadians and their hypocrisy - gets him all excited to point her out.

Ya know, I've grown to be quite fond of you, fusion. No lie. But you should know by now when I'm getting excited.

Old 05-11-2015, 07:28 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
There were a lot of copycat videos made, even by some Americans basically making fun of ignorant people, including a governor.

It's cheap to make and can be quite funny. New Zealand did the same.

There are stupid people everywhere, but I think these videos being made are a way to try and take a shot at a super power.

However, it does make me remember an acquaintance of mine, who grew up in Spokane, Washington. He wasn't a dumb person, but admitted his schooling was quite different than mine.
They learned NOTHING about Canada, and not much outside of the US, unless it related to the US in some way.

That said, I've met Australians who asked when Vancouver's harbour freezes over. I've met many Europeans who are totally clueless about Canada as well.

I've also met Canadians who can be pretty clueless.
The Quebec version of these features a Quebec reporter asking questions to Quebecers and getting dumb answers.

Old 05-11-2015, 07:31 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times
Quote:
HAHA!

Actually, I think i'm going to get in trouble lol.... I already hear F22's from the Air National Guard in Virginia spooling up

Lol. You're a funny guy. You and BruSan crack me up sometimes. But, no. I send only good vibes your way. So there!

Old 05-11-2015, 07:34 PM

Quote:

While I also agree with the fact that Canadian talent be it acting, musical, theatrical etc is largely engulfed by the American cultural black hole, don't you think it is disingenuous to sort of dismiss the fact that there are many Canadians who do contribute to this culture.. It may not be in the name of a pan national Canadian display - but you can't just dismiss the fact that many grew up here and developed into who they are as a result of what happened to them right here!! I don't see it completely black or white and I do see the shades of grey.

Oh I don't dispute that there aren't many talented Anglo-Canadians. I'd never say that there aren't. And it is normal for them to seek fame and fortune in the biggest showbiz market there is. It's just too bad that unlike most other nationalities, they almost never come back home to work on domestic projects. Whereas people like Nicole Kidman, Russell Crowe, Javier Bardem, etc. all seem to retain a portion of their careers back home.

Old 05-11-2015, 08:14 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,994,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Monkey View Post

@Zoisite: What would Americans think about this proposal? It would be interesting to speculate, but I imagine most would agree that it's not a great idea. Certainly, it would be fun to frighten the Tea Partiers and other right-wingers with the prospect!!
Giving a viewpoint from south of the border….

The most compelling reason for the status quo is the status of Quebec. Why should the USA take on that headache?

Old 05-11-2015, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
Giving a viewpoint from south of the border….

The most compelling reason for the status quo is the status of Quebec. Why should the USA take on that headache?
Ooooopsy! That won't go unanswered, I'm sure!

Old 05-11-2015, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Ooooopsy! That won't go unanswered, I'm sure!
You actually think that we're not lucid enough to know that Quebec can be a pebble in the shoe of (Anglo-)Canada?

Old 05-11-2015, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Oh I don't dispute that there aren't many talented Anglo-Canadians. I'd never say that there aren't. And it is normal for them to seek fame and fortune in the biggest showbiz market there is. It's just too bad that unlike most other nationalities, they almost never come back home to work on domestic projects. Whereas people like Nicole Kidman, Russell Crowe, Javier Bardem, etc. all seem to retain a portion of their careers back home.
Christopher Plummer has worked EVERWHERE including Stratford.

Christopher Plummer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Very interesting guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada