Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2020, 12:52 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,365,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I've often wondered what Americans must of thought of this famous Wilde quote.

“We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.”
In my experience as an American English speaker, the word 'gutter' primarily refers to the edges of a paved road where water and debris run. It is also metaphorically user to refer to the conditions of a low station in life. "I came from the gutter, but now I am rich!"

So in that context, Oscar Wilde's quote makes a lot of sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2020, 12:54 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,330,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
In my experience, virtually no one who grew up in Canada says "orientated". At least under a certain age - and I'm pretty sure you'd be under that age Nat!

Canadians say "oriented" AFAIK.
Really? Then I've been saying it wrong. I say "orientated."

Old 08-25-2020, 01:06 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,843,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Yes it is. He could have picked better accents to emulate.
You can say that again. I got my kids out of Michigan just in time for that accent not to stick. They've lost it now, but when we first came to Nashville, my daughter's schoolmates made fun of her Michigan accent.

Old 08-25-2020, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
In my experience as an American English speaker, the word 'gutter' primarily refers to the edges of a paved road where water and debris run. It is also metaphorically user to refer to the conditions of a low station in life. "I came from the gutter, but now I am rich!"

So in that context, Oscar Wilde's quote makes a lot of sense.
So, you don't use "gutter" to refer to the trough along the sides of a roof?

Old 08-25-2020, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
The New Orleans Yat accent has striking similarities.with the NYC area accent, because NOLA was the largest city in the antebellum South and attracted many of the same immigrants that came to New York, including many Italians.

The Southern accent is fading with younger generations due to movies. With the film industry in Hollywood, the standard American accent is becoming more and more like the Californian accent.

I know there is a divide between the Upper South, Scots Irish accent of Tennessee and the Tidewater accent of Coastal North Carolina, which was settled by the English.

I don't speak French, but I heard the Cajun accent of Louisiana French is actually quite similar to the French accent of the French New Brunswickers.
Have you read the book American Nations, by Colin Woodard? If not, you'd probably enjoy it. He talks about the founding and indigenous cultures in the US, Canada, and Mexico that still have great influence today.

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 08-25-2020 at 01:24 PM..

Old 08-25-2020, 01:16 PM

Quote:
In
Are these sub-university divisions not called colleges in the Canadian university system? Do you use the term faculty there?
Yes and yes.

Old 08-25-2020, 01:17 PM

14,317 posts, read 11,708,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Really? Then I've been saying it wrong. I say "orientated."
Would you then also be "disorientated"? I'd always say, "disoriented."

Old 08-25-2020, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
But you live in Tennessee, where people have that Southern drawl. So the American accent you're most familiar with is the Southern accent. If we're talking about native English speakers from the US West Coast, their accents are much closer to Canadians. You could probably still tell the difference in certain words being pronounced differently like in drama and sorry. But then again, I was born and raised in California, and I generally have an American accent but I pronounce quite a few words differently from other Americans.

I say "narrator" as nuh RAY ter, not NAIR ray ter.
I pronounce "leisure" with a short e, so that leisure rhymes with pleasure.
I say missile, mobile, etc as rhyming with "aisle" instead of rhyming with "bull."
I say judiciary as ju dish ur ry, not ju dish ee air ry. Four syllables instead of five.
When I say inventory, it sounds like infantry, but with a v instead of an f. No sound for the o.

Does me saying above words like that count as an accent? Maybe, but it's very subtle, kind of like the difference between a guy from Anglo Canada vs. the US West Coast.
I think some of your pronunciations are almost British, which I guess is also a result of your Hong Kong-born mom's homeschooling.

How do you say "schedule"? Sked-jule, or shed-ule?

Old 08-25-2020, 01:36 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,365,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
So, you don't use "gutter" to refer to the trough along the sides of a roof?
I do. I grew up scraping mucky leaves out of the roof gutters :-)

But that is a secondary definition. If someone were to say, "I grew up in the gutter." I picture the street, not the eaves of a house.

Old 08-25-2020, 01:43 PM

Quote:
I do. I grew up scraping mucky leaves out of the roof gutters :-)

But that is a secondary definition. If someone were to say, "I grew up in the gutter." I picture the street, not the eaves of a house.
Well, yeah. Growing up in the latter would be really uncomfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada