Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2020, 10:37 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,048,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Sadly there is. It seems like it shouldn't be though. https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dic.../disorientated
Oh for heaven's sake! Who'd'a thunk it, eh? I learn something new here every day. Disorientated is a mangled up disorientating word. Sounds like word butchery to me. I think I'll stick to saying it my way.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2020, 09:38 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,047,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post

The Southern accent is fading with younger generations due to movies. With the film industry in Hollywood, the standard American accent is becoming more and more like the Californian accent.
I noticed this week that Nikki Haley, who grew up in South Carolina, doesn't have much of a Southern US accent.

Old 08-28-2020, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
I don't speak French, but I heard the Cajun accent of Louisiana French is actually quite similar to the French accent of the French New Brunswickers.
More like Acadians in Nova Scotia, I'd say.

Old 08-28-2020, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Oh for heaven's sake! Who'd'a thunk it, eh? I learn something new here every day. Disorientated is a mangled up disorientating word. Sounds like word butchery to me. I think I'll stick to saying it my way.

My guess is that disorientated probably originated before disoriented.

Old 08-28-2020, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Like lieutenant, growing up it was " left-tenant".

It definitely still is "lef-tenant".

Or it is for the only people in Canada who actually have a real reason to use the term: the Canadian Armed Forces.

Though yes, "loo-tenant" is quite common in everyday speech, when people are making references to U.S. TV shows and movies I suppose...

Old 08-28-2020, 11:34 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
My guess is that disorientated probably originated before disoriented.
We may never actually know, but the evidence we have is this.

"Both forms have been used by respected writers for centuries.

As Jeremy Butterfield explains in Fowler’s Dictionary of Modern English Usage (4th ed.), the two verbs that gave us those participial adjectives and past tenses “have a long history (disorient first recorded in 1655, disorientate in 1704) and both are still in use (corresponding to the noun disorientation).”

This article has some interesting bits.

https://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2...rientated.html

Old 08-28-2020, 07:09 PM

35,078 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Not that much. There are no international borders between Alabama and Seattle. Nor are there borders between England and Scotland.
Nor are there borders between Calgary and Newfoundland and you can tell which one someone is from. Even though they are quite Fort Macmurray is right next to Gander.

Old 08-28-2020, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Whereas in the U.S. in informal (and sometimes even formal) speech, college and university are used as synonyms.
Not exactly.In general universities have graduate schools and colleges don't. With Dartmouth College being a significant exception.

Old 08-29-2020, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Not exactly.In general universities have graduate schools and colleges don't. With Dartmouth College being a significant exception.
I assumed there was probably some type of nuance there, but wouldn't you agree that it's lost on most Americans, who generally use "college" and university" interchangeably? (Even if it's erroneous?)

Old 09-01-2020, 03:23 AM

Quote:
I assumed there was probably some type of nuance there, but wouldn't you agree that it's lost on most Americans, who generally use "college" and university" interchangeably? (Even if it's erroneous?)
I don't want to ignore you. I would have to think about that. My demographic, the Jews, rarely enters higher education or for that matter graduates high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada