Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2013, 03:10 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,050,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberated in TO View Post
I guess what I meant is that some regions in Canada seem to be a bit of a hybrid between the American way and the stereotypical Canadian way of saying things.

Using "data" as an example - this seems to be a west coast thing. Unlike most Canadians, I say the word like "dayta" although I would say my accident is distinctly Canadian (I definitely do not have an American drawl) - especially any words that contain the "ou" sound. When I moved to Ontario - people noticed my pronunciation of certain words and asked if I was American. I've also met some Great Lakes Americans who say "daata", so closer to the standard Canadian pronunciation - but with the vowel more drawn out.

I probably haven't articulated this very well - perhaps somebody with a background in linguistics could identify this.
I have listen to many accent tags even some in southern US accent and they say data not dayta. I will see if I can find those videos and post it.

Here is how Americans say about.

1:39 movie you can hear him say that

The Walking Dead - season 2 trailer - YouTube

Here is other good video of how Americans talk.

Also listen to 3:02 in video when she saying about.

Driving - YouTube

Quote:
I would say my accident is distinctly Canadian (I definitely do not have an American drawl)
It depends who you talking about . Girls in the US and Canada when they speak the voice goes up or down at the end of sentence. They draw words out more example ( I have not see you in loooog time or oh my gooood that so cuuuuute.

That aaaaaaawwwwwesome.

Bob come doooooowwwwn stars noooow you food is on the table.

Guys when they speak normally don't bring there voice up or down at the end of sentence or draw out words or over pronunciation of words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 06:08 PM

297 posts, read 472,998 times
It depends who you talking about . Girls in the US and Canada when they speak the voice goes up or down at the end of sentence. They draw words out more example ( I have not see you in loooog time or oh my gooood that so cuuuuute.

That aaaaaaawwwwwesome.

Bob come doooooowwwwn stars noooow you food is on the table.

Guys when they speak normally don't bring there voice up or down at the end of sentence or draw out words or over pronunciation of words.[/quote]

That is a good and very true point

Old 01-04-2013, 06:30 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,548,535 times
US: Canadian
ruf: rooof
y'all: all of you
I seen: I saw
yous: you
die: day
abaut: about or aboot
oh well, who really cares abooot the difference. We are neighbors.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:12 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,946,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I seen? Only rednecks and Ebonics speakers say I seen. Americans say day as well

Old 01-04-2013, 10:46 AM

297 posts, read 472,998 times
I am pretty sure we say Day not die. Aboot is more of a myth then real. Y'all is actually used mostly in the South...............................

Old 01-04-2013, 10:54 AM

1,027 posts, read 2,050,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
If people said day for die I`ll me like what . That person day in you family that was today.

Saw is past tense of seen . I saw guy get arrest at store today. Bob come out side I see cops on the street.

You all come over here now is other way saying y'al come here now.

No idea what you mean by this ruf or rooof thing.

Here is some southern accent . None of these people in south in these videos really have drawl or much of any southern accent.

Accent Tag- Texas

Accent Tag- Texas - YouTube

Accent Tag (Texas)

Accent Tag (Texas) - YouTube

South Carolina/ Atlanta Ga accent

South Carolina/ Atlanta Ga accent - YouTube

Old 01-04-2013, 06:47 PM

2,802 posts, read 6,431,777 times
Most teenage girls everywhere speak with a valley girl accent, so they're hardly good examples. Overall though I would agree that Southern accents are disappearing.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:34 AM

2,096 posts, read 4,778,874 times
Default My Canadian accent impression

Is this pretty accurate? I should vote it's admittedly exaggerated to sound as distinctly Canuck as possible.

https://soundcloud.com/mimzymusic/au...ng-on-saturday

Old 01-05-2013, 03:31 AM

455 posts, read 1,132,345 times
More of a caricature than an impression i'd say. The fact that you admit you exaggerated it makes it far from accurate. Assuming you are actually an american and not from the south or north-east you'd probably get by as a regular canadian with your regular accent more so than your impression which would stand out a lot.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:48 AM

2,096 posts, read 4,778,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
Most teenage girls everywhere speak with a valley girl accent, so they're hardly good examples. Overall though I would agree that Southern accents are disappearing.
You can still hear the regional vowels in their accents though. Valley girl is a mode of speaking moreso than an accent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada