Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 11:47 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinrich S View Post
Well mostly because travel would be a living hell.

Of course, this all "does" depend on Quebec's policies. If they have a strict border policy, or only a limited time allowance, than families will be cut off from the rest of Canada. If Quebec becomes sovereign the pleasure of still having the Maritimes with us is wishful thinking imo.

As for Alaska, it's far more economically powerful than the Maritimes so it's not a great comparison, even Hawaii has a large purpose of being a huge military point, we're talking about the Maritimes that are already having a hard go at it not secluded. Cutting them off like an Island will put them in a worse position than Ireland.
All you said is true, but how does it have anything to do with the US? It is just a neighhouring country and has no responsibility and probably interest in taking in a few more states without anything valuable. Why do you think the US will take it? It is more like a burden than an asset - as you said, it is not Alaska or Haiwaii.

What about Newfoundland and Labrador?

We have all been very insistent that Canada should never join the US for a million noble reasons. Then we see people ready to to let the Maritimes join it if something happens. How weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 11:54 AM

64 posts, read 90,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
All you said is true, but how does it have anything to do with the US? It is just a neighhouring country and has no responsibility and probably interest in taking in a few more states without anything valuable. Why do you think the US will take it? It is more like a burden than an asset - as you said, it is not Alaska or Haiwaii.

What about Newfoundland and Labrador?

We have all been very insistent that Canada should never join the US for a million noble reasons. Then we see people ready to to let the Maritimes join it if something happens. How weird.
It would rely on good common curiosity, and yeah I agree. The only provinces that have a chance of becoming states are the Maritimes. I don't think any other province would ever join the US, well unless they annex them :P

Not sure on the other two.

You'd just have to put Yourself in someones shoes who is cut off from his/her own country. While I think Quebec would allow open borders, if it's not the case then joining the US is the best option. Otherwise the region will tank economically. Maine would be a good close partner, and would allow more people to move throughout the region. And the people who want to visit Canada could simple drive there.

The third scenario I can imagine is the Maritimes becoming independent but that seems unlikely. And would probably have the worst result lol.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:58 AM

^ as I said, it is not a matter of whether Canada should allow the Maritimes to go (I have no issue with that), but more about why the hell would the US want to take all the retirees... will the US taxpayers be responsible for their pension and healthcare? What does the US get in return? Maine and New Hamshire have everything the Martimes do.

Old 03-06-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
^ as I said, it is not a matter of whether Canada should allow the Maritimes to go (I have no issue with that), but more about why the hell would the US want to take all the retirees... will the US taxpayers be responsible for their pension and healthcare? What does the US get in return? Maine and New Hamshire have everything the Martimes do.
Well the US seems to enjoy giving billions away to third world countries rather then not supporting itself so it's not farfetched.

If Quebec wanted to join the US if they tanked I couldn't see them welcoming them. But the Maritimes would be okay for statehood.

Old 03-06-2014, 12:17 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,865,249 times
Quote:
It would rely on good common curiosity, and yeah I agree. The only provinces that have a chance of becoming states are the Maritimes. I don't think any other province would ever join the US, well unless they annex them :P
Boticelli is asking why would the US say want the Maritimes. There are about a million reasons why the US would say "no".

Historically, Canadian schemes to join the US have met no reciprocity from the US. The 1849 Montreal Manifesto calling for Canadian annexation met zero reciprocity in the US. The Maritimes attempts during the late 1860's were equally met a cold reception, as did discussion of joining the US in the event that the Meech Lake Accord failed.

Quote:
If Quebec wanted to join the US if they tanked I couldn't see them welcoming them. But the Maritimes would be okay for statehood.
They would constitute the poorest region of America, rivaling the Mississippi Delta. The populace is foreign, with different customs, and many Brunswickers speaking French. The region is accustomed to receiving large amounts of subsidies from the Canadian federal government; the US government simply operates differently. In other words, the Maritimes are an unattractive package for the US.

Old 03-06-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Well the US seems to enjoy giving billions away to third world countries rather then not supporting itself so it's not farfetched.

The US selectively gives billions of dollars to third world countries, not as charity, but for their support on international affairs (making them US puppet states). I fail to see the Maritime can be a political asset to the US as the Phillippines or Thailand.

The US never gives out money for free. There is always an agenda.

Old 03-06-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post

They would constitute the poorest region of America, rivaling the Mississippi Delta. The populace is foreign, with different customs, and many Brunswickers speaking French. The region is accustomed to receiving large amounts of subsidies from the Canadian federal government; the US government simply operates differently. In other words, the Maritimes are an unattractive package for the US.
Yeah. But they have easier options of moving if they fail anyway. Not sure about language issues. The US is filled with Spanish speakers.

It's uncertain what the US would do with the Maritimes under their wing. It's true Canada pumps money constantly into the region for the worst hitting the rest of the country in the face. But the US is a far more wealthier country. Not sold on why under 2 million people would be a hassle.

Anyways if they didn't accept them than either Canada would lose even more money or just let them go on their own. They already cost the country a lot of money. A separate Maritimes would finish off the region if Quebec set Border Restrictions. Thus perhaps this would in turn give Quebec options and leverage. That is if they can even secede.

Last edited by Heinrich S; 03-06-2014 at 12:44 PM..

Old 03-06-2014, 12:45 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,599,838 times
I wonder if Quebec failed as an independent state, whether they would be willing to fall into the US as a territory and not a state. Quebec is too different from a socioeconomic and political perspective to be a US state. Separating from one English country to join another much bigger powerful one also doesn't make sense. But they really need some cash to stay afloat and the US could provide cheap debt financing if they derive some economic benefits such as getting access to develop their mines, forestry and agriculture and allowing US investment in certain sectors like banking and aerospace; all while allowing Quebec to govern themselves independently politically. 20% of Quebec's economy is comprised of exports to the US anyway, so there could be further integration to work with as a separate territory. Just thoughts about what is an unimaginable scenario in the future, but not a 100% impossible scenario either.

Old 03-06-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post
I wonder if Quebec failed as an independent state, whether they would be willing to fall into the US as a territory and not a state. Quebec is too different from a socioeconomic and political perspective to be a US state. Separating from one English country to join another much bigger powerful one also doesn't make sense. But they really need some cash to stay afloat and the US could provide cheap debt financing if they derive some economic benefits such as getting access to develop their mines, forestry and agriculture and allowing US investment in certain sectors like banking and aerospace; all while allowing Quebec to govern themselves independently politically. 20% of Quebec's economy is comprised of exports to the US anyway, so there could be further integration to work with as a separate territory. Just thoughts in what is an unimaginable scenario in the future, but not a 100% impossible scenario either.
Yeah. But I can't see the US accepting Quebec. Protectorate would be possible definitely.

Old 03-06-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Yeah. But I can't see the US accepting Quebec. Protectorate would be possible definitely.
For the US to accept 8M people who will always vote for the democrats?
Completely impossible.

Plus, if Quebec does secede, will it keep all the territory as the Province of Quebec today with all the resources in the north? I don't know all the history, but did Quebec get more land due to becoming part of Canada?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada