Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Stay Canadian or become American?
FIGHT FOR CANADA! 65 64.36%
Become an American 36 35.64%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 03:01 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Agreed. With very few exceptions, such as for microbrews and specialty beers, most "US beers" sold in Canada are brewed in Canada. Molson brews Coors Light, Labatt brews Budweiser, and so on.

As I recall, there was some initial balking on the part of the Canadian consumer when these (and others) were introduced back in the early 1980s. The joke in those days was, "Why is American beer like making love in a canoe?"

Answer:

Spoiler
Because it's f***ing close to water.
So, the Canadian breweries' marketing efforts concentrated on how these beers were "brewed for the Canadian taste," and similar. In other words, reassuring the consumer that these were every bit as good, full-flavoured, and with just as much alcohol as what Canadians were used to. Obviously, that plan worked.

If we take microbrews and specialty beers out of the equation, I do know a number of people who like Bud/Bud Light, Coors Light, MGD, and other Canadian-brewed US brands; but I'd guess that an equal number, or more, prefer Canadian brands. Here in the west, Molson's Pilsner is popular, as is Labatt's Kokanee, originally from BC. The Alexander Keith beers, all brewed now by Labatt, are popular across the country; and Molson's Rickard's division has done quite well everywhere it has been tried. I understand that Canadian ales (Molson Ex, Labatt 50) are still popular in Ontario and Quebec. And of course, there are the old standbys, Molson Canadian and Labatt's Blue, that are available everywhere.
I remember that joke, because it was true. Now with all the craft breweries down south, things have changed a bit.

Kokanee is my hot day beer. It's has a crisp bite that I enjoy. Pretty good for a big brewery beer. I also enjoy Keith's and order it on tap quite often.
I haven't had a Canadian or a Blue in a long, long time.
I also enjoy, some Quebec beers like Maudite and La Fin du Monde. Only one though, they are strong and are a type of beer that I enjoy with a sandwich that has mustard.

I remember having conversations when I was working on VIA with Americans trying to order beer. In those days there were no US brands being brewed in Canada, and VIA did not have imported beers ( funny, some Americans seemed offended when I described their beer as foreign LOL ). Anyway, most often than not the conversation went like this.

Me: What would you like Sir ?

Them: I'd like a Bud.

Me: Sorry we don't have any imported beers.

Them: (looking slightly shocked and confused ) Uh…then I'll have a Molson's.

Me: Certainly what kind?

Them: ( looking more confused ) I told you a Molson's.

Me: Molson's the brewery sir, they make many beers.

Them: ???

Me: Perhaps a Canadian sir, it's very popular.

Then they tried to buy American cigarettes….
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 03:17 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
I don't know anyone who drinks American beer. Not voluntarily, anyway.
Nasty stuff.

Old 05-23-2014, 03:53 PM

3,867 posts, read 5,292,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Nasty stuff.
They have no idea what they are missing, American microbrews are incredible.

Old 05-23-2014, 04:43 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Nasty stuff.
I do! Yeungling Original but can only get it when down there ~ dang!

Back home in the great white north I go for Keiths Premium White; a hoppy tasting beer. With citrus overtones.

Don't know why but it seems I'm partial to beers you can't see through.

Old 05-23-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
They have no idea what they are missing, American microbrews are incredible.
Incredible yes, but then all microbrews in most countries are incredible. I think the Canadian " snobbery " about beer comes from the fact that way before microbrews really existed, Canadian beer was fuller and had more alcohol. So when we drank mainstream US beer it really did taste weak and quite awful. I always thought it was too fizzy like pop.
That impression has never really gone away, probably because today when you compare the mainstream brews from both countries, to Canadians and apparently Australians have told me this as well, Canadian mainstream beer just tastes better.

It's interesting to note that micro brewing gained popularity in both countries about the same time. 1980 saw the 1st one in Portland, Oregon..now renowned for it's beer and in Vancouver 1984. Quebec, from what I can tell started a bit later in 1989 with Les Brasseurs du Nord, and Unibroue in 1990, the brewery that makes the Maudite and La Fin Du Monde that I enjoy. I wouldn't be surprised if the most popular beer in Quebec is Molson's Dry LOL..at least it was years ago.

The scene is always changing, and I question if a brewery like Unibroue can really be called a microbrew since it seems to make enough to sell across Canada, or Granville Island breweries which sells I know in Ontario and possible elsewhere.

More are popping up every week in Vancouver, but they are truly small like Parallel 49 Brewing Company

Old 05-23-2014, 05:02 PM

3,867 posts, read 5,292,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Incredible yes, but then all microbrews in most countries are incredible. I think the Canadian " snobbery " about beer comes from the fact that way before microbrews really existed, Canadian beer was fuller and had more alcohol. So when we drank mainstream US beer it really did taste weak and quite awful. I always thought it was too fizzy like pop.
That impression has never really gone away, probably because today when you compare the mainstream brews from both countries, to Canadians and apparently Australians have told me this as well, Canadian mainstream beer just tastes better.

It's interesting to note that micro brewing gained popularity in both countries about the same time. 1980 saw the 1st one in Portland, Oregon..now renowned for it's beer and in Vancouver 1984. Quebec, from what I can tell started a bit later in 1989 with Les Brasseurs du Nord, and Unibroue in 1990, the brewery that makes the Maudite and La Fin Du Monde that I enjoy. I wouldn't be surprised if the most popular beer in Quebec is Molson's Dry LOL..at least it was years ago.

The scene is always changing, and I question if a brewery like Unibroue can really be called a microbrew since it seems to make enough to sell across Canada, or Granville Island breweries which sells I know in Ontario and possible elsewhere.

More are popping up every week in Vancouver, but they are truly small like Parallel 49 Brewing Company
I agree that all countries have incredible microbrews but I'm only in my early 30's, so a world without microbrews is one I didnt know

It is a great trend though and honestly it has come to a point now where its easier for me to find a microbrew than a mainstream one at my local liquor store. Also in London the American microbrew scene has exploded, and bars stocking them are the new fad.

I do like La Fin Du Monde, but I was in Montreal a few weeks back and picked up a few beers brewed by Le Trou du Diable, and I probably won't be drinking La Fin Du Monde for a while! Each one was fantastic.

With that said I pretty much hate all mainstream beer, regardless of its country of origin. It could be Molson, Heineken, Stella, Bud, Coors, Corona, Tecate, etc..Heck even if we look at Trappist Ale's, the mainstream stuff from Chimay is easily the worst of the lot.

So I get where the reputation comes from, but for someone who really loves good beer, its all pretty sh*t at the end of the day.

P.S: Thanks for the link of Parallel 49, always looking for more good beer.

Old 05-23-2014, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
I agree that all countries have incredible microbrews but I'm only in my early 30's, so a world without microbrews is one I didnt know

It is a great trend though and honestly it has come to a point now where its easier for me to find a microbrew than a mainstream one at my local liquor store. Also in London the American microbrew scene has exploded, and bars stocking them are the new fad.

I do like La Fin Du Monde, but I was in Montreal a few weeks back and picked up a few beers brewed by Le Trou du Diable, and I probably won't be drinking La Fin Du Monde for a while! Each one was fantastic.

With that said I pretty much hate all mainstream beer, regardless of its country of origin. It could be Molson, Heineken, Stella, Bud, Coors, Corona, Tecate, etc..Heck even if we look at Trappist Ale's, the mainstream stuff from Chimay is easily the worst of the lot.

So I get where the reputation comes from, but for someone who really loves good beer, its all pretty sh*t at the end of the day.

P.S: Thanks for the link of Parallel 49, always looking for more good beer.
It's like all things. Once you've had the good stuff, you can't go back !! I'm older than you and remember time before micro-brews, and I have to say I am thrilled with the new energy regarding this drink.

Old 05-23-2014, 05:35 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
I'm not much of a beer drinker, but on a hot summer day, I do like Fin Du Monde.
At 9% alcohol however, it knocks me on my a$$ if I have more than one.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:07 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
It's like all things. Once you've had the good stuff, you can't go back !! I'm older than you and remember time before micro-brews, and I have to say I am thrilled with the new energy regarding this drink.
Older!

Haaar; older still is remembering a time when one had the facility of a fairly large old wooden cabin cruiser to cross over to Oswego with it loaded to the gunnels with Canadian beers to flog to the friends and others who knew you were coming and would put in their order.

O'Keefe Extra Old Stock, Labatt's 50, Carling's Red Cap, Carlings Black Label ......remember the old TV ditty Whistle ......Mable; black label........

Those old twin 327's were thirsty so a slight surcharge was applied for the extra fuel that old barge would gulp while pushing along with the plimsoll line buried.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Older!

Haaar; older still is remembering a time when one had the facility of a fairly large old wooden cabin cruiser to cross over to Oswego with it loaded to the gunnels with Canadian beers to flog to the friends and others who knew you were coming and would put in their order.

O'Keefe Extra Old Stock, Labatt's 50, Carling's Red Cap, Carlings Black Label ......remember the old TV ditty Whistle ......Mable; black label........

Those old twin 327's were thirsty so a slight surcharge was applied for the extra fuel that old barge would gulp while pushing along with the plimsoll line buried.
Why thanks for story old feller. I still buy O'Keefe Extra Old Stock, now and then….also Old Style Pilsner, which was my dad's beer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada