Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2014, 03:40 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I knew you'd come around to liking me eventually!
AJ; liking you and your style has never been at issue but far more importantly an abiding respect has formed whereas I've become convinced your defense or support for expressed separatist idealogy does not, in and of itself, indicate you would desire separatism.

I'm often wrong however, but in this I do not believe so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 04:16 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Nonsense. I don't live in DT Toronto and I think I would have a lot in common with fusion.
Back at ya

Old 07-08-2014, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
There are quite a few Americans who come on here to bash Canadians it is true, but I would say that this is a highly localized micro-phenomena. It's not really indicative of anything present in wider American society.

Anyone who has been around the block (and visited the States) knows that Canada simply isn't on the radar screen of 99% of Americans. So how can they have strong negative views of people they rarely think about?

The US on the other hand is frequently on the minds of Canadians, from their TV, movies, music, sports, etc. and also their current events: everything from Obamacare, tornadoes, hurricanes, Beltway snipers, Octomom, Boston marathon bombings, the OJ Simpson trial, wardrobe malfunctions, Trayvon Martin, anthrax scares, etc. gets tons of coverage and attention in Canada and is therefore highly present in water cooler and backyard BBQ chit-chat in Canada. Lots of fodder for people in Canada to forge opinions about the US.

So the idea that there even anything remotely close to enough attention paid to Canada in the US to make anti-Canadianism a measurable phenomenon there is totally absurd.
I think there is a lot of truth to this...Canadian political/social issues go largely ignored In the U.S... What isn't ignored is when there are mass gun killings in Canada -that actually does get attention.

Old 07-08-2014, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
The fanaticism and frustration is not only happening on City-Data. You can find it on just about any American forums, blogs and media articles on the net where comments are permitted these days, as well as finding its way into other international fora. If you think Canadians and Europeans are plagued by it, that's nothing compared to what's aimed at all Asian, African and Middle Eastern nations. Canada and Europe have it easy by comparison.

I had to look that up to find out what über alles means, I got the translation and I found this interesting article of which I've included a snippet. Yes, definitely some parallels there, especially if you consider the 'disloyalty' aspect of it. The article is interesting and goes on to explain how the words 'über alles' was exploited by Allied propagandists during the European wars, and explains why the first stanza of the German national anthem is now banned.

Deutschland, Deutschland uber alles!

Very Interesting insights Zoisite.. Almost a pandemic paranoia down there.

Old 07-08-2014, 04:51 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
Another interesting view from Brebner...

The publication of his North Atlantic Triangle marked the high-water mark of continentalist scholarship. In this seminal study his "primary aim was to get at, and to set forth, the interplay between the United States and Canada - the Siamese Twins of North America who cannot separate and live."

And note he passed on in 1957.

Old 07-08-2014, 04:57 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Nope, not at all; you cannot get upset at those who don't know any better. It would be akin to chastising a child for peeing in their diaper. It's what's expected after all.
Oh, Bru, now ya done gone an' made me feel all ashamed of myself. (though I'm not sure what for).

Will you forgive me? I won't pee in my diaper no more; ya got my word. Give me another chance, okay?

Old 07-08-2014, 05:39 PM

1,574 posts, read 5,117,647 times
This has gotten to be my all-time favorite thread here!

Finally some zip in the Canada forum!

Old 07-08-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Oh, Bru, now ya done gone an' made me feel all ashamed of myself. (though I'm not sure what for).

Will you forgive me? I won't pee in my diaper no more; ya got my word. Give me another chance, okay?
I likened you to that. I did not accuse you of that. There is a difference.

But just so ya know; I'm standing by here with Johnson's BP and a tin of Panaten rash cream (do they still make that stuff...never mind, I'll find some) just holler when y'all are feeling damp.

Old 07-08-2014, 05:48 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I likened you to that. I did not accuse you of that. There is a difference.

But just so ya know; I'm standing by here with Johnson's BP and a tin of Panaten rash cream (do they still make that stuff...never mind, I'll find some) just holler when y'all are feeling damp.
Oh gosh, you should never combine talc with cream.....it turns into little balls of cement and makes things worse.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Oh gosh, you should never combine talc with cream.....it turns into little balls of cement and makes things worse.
Well I was going to do an either/or upon closer inspection, what did you think? I'm old but I still remember diaper change protocols, how could one so easily forget those?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada