Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2014, 02:37 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,600,101 times

Advertisements

^^^ I agree that somethings are more universally wrong and less up for debate. Spousal abuse, murder, rape, theft etc. are wrong to any human being. Dress code, eating habits, worship, traditions, language, music, habits, organization of government, taxation, transfer payments, education systems, etc. are more reflective of what people want in their society (at least in theory) and are different across cultures, not right or wrong. But still, the history, culture and socio-economic development and truth behind what angle the media presents has to be considered before one passes judgment. Not everything is black and white like our governments want us to believe.

Last edited by johnathanc; 10-09-2014 at 02:45 PM..

Old 10-09-2014, 02:50 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,438,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post
^^^ I agree that somethings are more universally wrong and less up for debate. Spousal abuse, murder, rape, theft etc. are wrong to any human being. Dress code, eating habits, worship, traditions, language, music, habits, organization of government, taxation, transfer payments, education systems, etc. are more reflective of what people want in their society (at least in theory) and are different, not right or wrong. But still, the history, culture and socio-economic development and truth behind what angle the media presents has to be considered before one passes judgment.
Well, I don't agree.

Dressing up (e.g. for women):
On one extreme you have the Western Media objectifying women on magazine covers, using photoshop and airbrushes to create unreal images (often of scantily clad women).
On the other extreme you have a section of the Middle East forcing women to cover up from head to toe.

Two extremes: scantily clad women being objectified <---------> women being forced to dress in burkas
I'm sure there is a middle ground that is "ideal". (from the video I posted)

Old 10-09-2014, 03:02 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,600,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
Well, I don't agree.

Dressing up (e.g. for women):
On one extreme you have the Western Media objectifying women on magazine covers, using photoshop and airbrushes to create unreal images (often of scantily clad women).
On the other extreme you have a section of the Middle East forcing women to cover up from head to toe.

Two extremes: scantily clad women being objectified <---------> women being forced to dress in burkas
I'm sure there is a middle ground that is "ideal". (from the video I posted)
I'm not sure what you don't agree with (although I haven't watched the video). Covering up or showing skin is not universally right or wrong across all humans. If the majority is ok with seeing half naked women on magazine covers and people produce and buy these magazines regularly, then I think it's pretty acceptable in a given society. If some segments of a given society don't like it, then don't buy those magazines. There is no right or wrong or in between here, it's local culture that decides and this evolves over time too. Some cultures are more conservative and some are more open about showing off the human body.

Old 10-09-2014, 03:07 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,438,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post
I'm not sure what you don't agree with (although I haven't watched the video). Covering up or showing skin is not universally right or wrong across all humans. If the majority is ok with seeing half naked women on magazine covers and people produce and buy these magazines regularly, then I think it's pretty acceptable in a given society. If some segments of a given society don't like it, then don't buy those magazines. There is no right or wrong or in between here, it's local culture that decides and this evolves over time too. Some cultures are more conservative and some are more open about showing off the human body.
Well, it is not about covering up or showing skin. People should be allowed to do whatever they want.

I was talking about two extremes: objectification of women vs. suppression of women. Both of which are done using some sort of dress-code.

Old 10-09-2014, 05:29 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,432,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
Good post. On hand I totally agree that going to Dubai as a gay man is not high on my list on things to do. But at the same time I totally undertand Edward's ambition to travel and experience different places and cultures. Edward from what I understand is extremely well traveled and knowledgable about the world. In the end I see no problem at all in visiting a place a s foreign as Dubai and spending time there. While their culture appears very backwards to us, they also probably look at is the same way. At the end of the day, the cultures are simply different an there are always two sides to the coin. Here is a funny comic that reminds us of how relative our cultures are:

So I think our cultural biases are very relative with a few and it is difficult to see from a lens other than our own. But on the plane of homosexuality I think that western culture has proven to be far more tolerant and accepted than the East, regardless of cultural interpretation. There is no argument to be made that Saudi Arabia is more tolerant of homosexuality than Toronto were being bay appears to be where thankfully it seems to be treated as just another fact of life. But for the great majority of things relating to culture, there isa great deal of misunderstanding as people refuse to look outside of their lens. I think being black in Canada vs, the US is an excellent example of this, where many blacks complain that well meaning white Canadians "just don't get it" when it comes to black people.
Nice pic but the men here don't force women to wear sunglasses;

Old 10-09-2014, 05:53 PM

91 posts, read 117,771 times
Probably because the United States overall is a better country than Canada basically every category.

Old 10-09-2014, 05:57 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,731,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oranje1 View Post
Probably because the United States overall is a better country than Canada basically every category.
wrong.

Canada has a higher life expectancy.
Canada has lower crime rate.
Canada is more educated (ranked much higher on the PISA exam).
Canadian cities have high quality of life (admittedly it is subjective).

The list can go on and on.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:14 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,845,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
wrong.

Well, why the heck do you do so much griping about Canada, then, Bot?

Old 10-09-2014, 07:33 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,432,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
wrong.

I was going to say the previous comment did sound a bit arrogant...but then that's U.S

Old 10-09-2014, 11:48 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,887,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
Good post. On hand I totally agree that going to Dubai as a gay man is not high on my list on things to do. But at the same time I totally undertand Edward's ambition to travel and experience different places and cultures. Edward from what I understand is extremely well traveled and knowledgable about the world. In the end I see no problem at all in visiting a place a s foreign as Dubai and spending time there. While their culture appears very backwards to us, they also probably look at is the same way. At the end of the day, the cultures are simply different an there are always two sides to the coin. Here is a funny comic that reminds us of how relative our cultures are:
You make a lot of assumptions about me in your posts in general.. Sure I haven't lived in other countries but I have travelled quite extensively and while it may not be the same as moving to a place, I'd rather not entangle myself in the potential risks associated with such endeavours plus i'm doing well right here both professionally and personally so why would I change that. I have actually travelled to far more places in the U.S than Canada to be honest and there are countries I have visited and in some cases multiple times and for longer than just a few days and I have friends from many of those places.. I would also not be closed to a temporary assignment somewhere but to live long term no and I've made it clear why in my posts.

Anyway I've been to Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Morocco, Sri Lanka, United Kingdom, Germany, Japan, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Turkey, Tunisia, Egypt, Mexico and of course many many parts of the U.S (I've driven extensively through the U.S actually and have friends and relatives all over it) so don't just think that i'm some insular Canadian with zero appreciation for the world outside of where I live. To be honest, there are absolutely aspects of each of the places I have been to that I appreciate and respect in terms of society and cultural values which are often rooted in deep history and traditions.. What I respect in many cases is a strong sense of family and community (though that can also become suffocating at the same time), things can get a bit or a lot lonely in a more individualistic society such as our - so I'm not just some insular arrogant Canadian Westerner who thinks his country is the only place with attributes worth a damn. I did enjoy the comic btw and can relate to the concept of perspective from varying cultural/values p.o.v

On a separate note related to another thread- I work at the airport and just to let you know I have been privy to meteorological reports over the last few years regarding snowfall patterns in Toronto and Montreal vs many N.E seaboard U.S cities.. You might want to look into them

Last edited by fusion2; 10-10-2014 at 12:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.