Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2019, 08:15 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Statistics show that while a growing number of Americans say they’d move up north, there has only been a “modest uptick” in those who have actually moved.

Over 2017 and the first quarter of 2018, 1,055 more Americans were granted permanent residency than the average number during the Obama administration. Student visas granted to U.S. citizens increased by 1,012 in 2017, compared to the average number over the eight years before that.
"If W Bush gets elected I am moving to Canada", "If Trump wins I am moving to Canada" is classic political bluster from American progressives.

Very few of them actually follow through on that.

Old 09-09-2019, 08:51 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,814,811 times
Canada is building a wall... lol

Old 09-09-2019, 08:53 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times
More Liberal Americans would move for political reasons but the clear long term trend in US politics is moving leftward. There is hope that they can stay and see the US became far more like Canada. Liberal politicians now easily win popular vote, electoral college and gerrymandering can only slow the change.

Old 09-09-2019, 08:55 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonHippy View Post
If I didn't live in America, I'd prefer to live in Canada. I've been to the UK 4x, and Western/Central Europe 4x - I would not want to live in Europe at all, especially with those Middle Eastern male refugees all over the place. They make me feel very uncomfortable with how they stare at you. And I am not into Islamic culture.
Not that this is necessarily good or necessarily bad, but the Muslim population is growing appreciably in Canada, especially in the larger cities. The inevitable result is that Islamic culture in general is more and more present and visible here. Though still a minority of course.

Old 09-09-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
More Liberal Americans would move for political reasons but the clear long term trend in US politics is moving leftward. There is hope that they can stay and see the US became far more like Canada. Liberal politicians now easily win popular vote, electoral college and gerrymandering can only slow the change.
You say this in such a way that it seems in absolute terms. To that... I disagree.

Old 09-11-2019, 12:18 AM

525 posts, read 454,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
"If W Bush gets elected I am moving to Canada", "If Trump wins I am moving to Canada" is classic political bluster from American progressives.

Very few of them actually follow through on that.
Even I have to agree with this, and I’m one of the few Americans who did eventually move to Canada...

I think a lot of Americans (especially young Americans) just said these things out of frustration. Some might have been open to moving until they realized Canada won’t just let you pack up and move there just because you’re American. Others might not have been able to move for practical reasons (jobs, relationships, etc.). And maybe some Americans just loved and identified too strongly with their country to move.

Personally I was very frustrated with America (especially around/a year or so after the 2016 election). I’m really grateful for the opportunity to move, and overall I’ve been pretty happy in Canada so far. But although I’ve never been patriotic, sometimes I do get homesick, not because I LOVED my life in America, but because I was familiar with it and didn’t have to navigate foreign banks, currency, politics, healthcare, etc. Moving, especially to another country (even if it’s “just” Canada) is hard!

But at least I don’t have to deal with culture shock (unless you count over apologizing and lining up for buses )

Old 09-11-2019, 06:39 AM

On this day I remember our northern neighbors and their open love and generosity.... Gander, Newfoundland.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...way/631329001/

Old 09-11-2019, 04:14 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon18 View Post
Even I have to agree with this, and I’m one of the few Americans who did eventually move to Canada...

I think a lot of Americans (especially young Americans) just said these things out of frustration. Some might have been open to moving until they realized Canada won’t just let you pack up and move there just because you’re American. Others might not have been able to move for practical reasons (jobs, relationships, etc.). And maybe some Americans just loved and identified too strongly with their country to move.

Personally I was very frustrated with America (especially around/a year or so after the 2016 election). I’m really grateful for the opportunity to move, and overall I’ve been pretty happy in Canada so far. But although I’ve never been patriotic, sometimes I do get homesick, not because I LOVED my life in America, but because I was familiar with it and didn’t have to navigate foreign banks, currency, politics, healthcare, etc. Moving, especially to another country (even if it’s “just” Canada) is hard!

But at least I don’t have to deal with culture shock (unless you count over apologizing and lining up for buses )
A good friend from California was seriously looking into moving to Canada, alas he doesn't qualify.

I'm glad you are finding it fine here. What has been your biggest challenge so far, and what do you like best?

Old 09-11-2019, 04:18 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
On this day I remember our northern neighbors and their open love and generosity.... Gander, Newfoundland.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...way/631329001/
It was such a horrible day. Surreal and frightening.

I remember phoning my mother while it was all happening on TV. She kept repeating " this is real " over and over, as if hoping that it wasn't.

I was up the towers in the early 1990's, so the horror was amplified, as I knew just how big those building were. Then the other planes crashing as well, just added to the fear I felt.

I remember going to work that day, the train was so quiet. People seemed stunned.

Gander was just one of the places in Canada where US bound planes landed. 17 airports in Canada took over 200 US bound flights. At total of 30,000 people that had to housed and fed. I remember the call out here in Vancouver, asking for people to offer help.

Old 09-11-2019, 10:51 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
It was such a horrible day. Surreal and frightening.

I remember phoning my mother while it was all happening on TV. She kept repeating " this is real " over and over, as if hoping that it wasn't.

I was up the towers in the early 1990's, so the horror was amplified, as I knew just how big those building were. Then the other planes crashing as well, just added to the fear I felt.

I remember going to work that day, the train was so quiet. People seemed stunned.

Gander was just one of the places in Canada where US bound planes landed. 17 airports in Canada took over 200 US bound flights. At total of 30,000 people that had to housed and fed. I remember the call out here in Vancouver, asking for people to offer help.
Thanks for that reminder.

I worked in One WTC and was on the 43rd floor when American Airlines 11 slammed into us.

As a balance to the loss and horror of that day and the aftermath, the stories of those who rose to the higher levels of humanity and helped others out are just as important to remember.

Thanks, Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada