Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2019, 12:24 PM

676 posts, read 649,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebec Is My Country View Post
- A better economy. The per capita GDP is a lot higher in America and there are more jobs and easier to get.
- Lots of options to move to. NYC, LA, SF, DC, Boston, Orlando, Houston, Seattle, Minneapolis, Phoenix, Honolulu...Alaska even. So many options.
- More freedom of choice and able to voice opinions. Canada is more closed in this way.
- Weather, they can actually pick what climate to live in.
- More exciting, America is the place to be be, this is where the new stuff and ideas happens.

Just some ideas.
That may be one of the big ones, though I wonder how many Americans actually make use of living and working in these places. Last I recall seeing a report, many Americans are not all that mobile or interested/financially capable in being so. If you're just visiting it's easy for a Canadian to go any of those places. But I agree there is truly that sense of freedom of being able to live and work with very little paperwork and headaches in what is a tremendous breadth of places - your list is already broad, and yet there's also Miami, Colorado and more remote territories like Guam and the Virgin Islands.

But here in Canada I do feel legitimately tethered and stuck to only Vancouver and Victoria, and it's no slight to all the other great provinces and territories... it just isn't for me and my family and I've lived in the Prairies and in Ontario.

Old 08-26-2019, 12:32 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,890,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svelten View Post
That may be one of the big ones, though I wonder how many Americans actually make use of living and working in these places. Last I recall seeing a report, many Americans are not all that mobile or interested/financially capable in being so. If you're just visiting it's easy for a Canadian to go any of those places. But I agree there is truly that sense of freedom of being able to live and work with very little paperwork and headaches in what is a tremendous breadth of places - your list is already broad, and yet there's also Miami, Colorado and more remote territories like Guam and the Virgin Islands.
I think there is quite a bit of domestic migration in the U.S. Sun belt cities like Dallas, Houston, Pheonix are growing like weeds. OTOH, the New York's, Chicago's and Boston's are having pretty poor growth in comparison. The city of Chicago is actually contracting as is New York city metro. Which is a shame really, I prefer them to the sunbelt cities.

Old 08-26-2019, 02:18 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,052,709 times
Having lived in both Canada and the US.

Canadians are socially very conservative, closed to new ideas and ways of doing things. I moved to Canada in my 20's and it drove me nuts....so much so I quickly moved back to the US.

People move in their 20's. So given the nature of people in their 20's that want to try new ideas and ways of doing things....your going to move to the US.

Canada would be really popular with older folks. The Canadian border is essentially closed to anybody over 40 years old. So lots of Americans that would love moving to Canada and living there can't do it.

IF the Canadians opened up their border to older folks I think you would see a greater balance in migration between the two countries.

I hated Canada in my 20's. Now in my 70's changing the world is no longer such a pressing need.

Old 08-26-2019, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post

Canadians are socially very conservative, closed to new ideas and ways of doing things. I moved to Canada in my 20's and it drove me nuts....so much so I quickly moved back to the US.

People move in their 20's. So given the nature of people in their 20's that want to try new ideas and ways of doing things....your going to move to the US.

Canada would be really popular with older folks. The Canadian border is essentially closed to anybody over 40 years old. So lots of Americans that would love moving to Canada and living there can't do it.

IF the Canadians opened up their border to older folks I think you would see a greater balance in migration between the two countries.

I hated Canada in my 20's. Now in my 70's changing the world is no longer such a pressing need.
So let me get this straight - you moved to Canada in your 20's and thought it was more socially conservative than the U.S. Now you are in your 70's... Dude that was like 50 years ago. A LOT has changed in Canada since then. I think Canada has been ahead of the U.S pan-nationally in terms of social progressivism in the last 50 years.. Do people really need to get into the reasons why?

Old 08-26-2019, 02:29 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,713,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I think there is quite a bit of domestic migration in the U.S. Sun belt cities like Dallas, Houston, Pheonix are growing like weeds. OTOH, the New York's, Chicago's and Boston's are having pretty poor growth in comparison. The city of Chicago is actually contracting as is New York city metro. Which is a shame really, I prefer them to the sunbelt cities.
Why do you think the sunbelt cities in the US are growing rather than the northern cities?

Old 08-26-2019, 02:35 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,044,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Why do you think the sunbelt cities in the US are growing rather than the northern cities?
Arthritis.

Old 08-26-2019, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I think a combination of economic opportunities, affordability and ofc milder climates. As Dawn says too - Arthritis lol..

Old 08-26-2019, 02:56 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,411,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I think a combination of economic opportunities, affordability and ofc milder climates. As Dawn says too - Arthritis lol..
Don't forget illegal immigration. It's a total invasion down there. That's why there are going to build a wall and make Mexico pay for it.

Old 08-26-2019, 03:03 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,817,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post

Since when have Canadians been very conservative? If they are, it must mean something different than it does in the States.

Old 08-26-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Don't forget illegal immigration. It's a total invasion down there. That's why there are going to build a wall and make Mexico pay for it.
You know it's funny because I recently read a Ryerson report that showed from 2017-2018 Toronto and Dallas were the two fastest growing metro areas in Canada/U.S. Whilst Toronto got the lion's share from International Migration, Dallas Forth Worth was in this order: Natural births, domestic migration and finally international migration. Now ofc these are based on official census statistics, and there are probably undocumented as you mention, in both metro's but an interesting growth distinction nonetheless.

Have they even started that stupid wall yet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada