Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2017, 07:50 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,278,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
......ok so I have more health care personnel and equipment at my disposal...so, you do the math....

Wrong
Health care personnel ratio to population and equipment ratio to population has some to do with quality of care....not all of it but quite a lot.
I never said that the US is a model of efficiency and cost containment (health care needs dramatic reforming indeed as I said so many times before when this debate arises) but the reality at the moment is exactly as I said....I pay more (probably much more than I should) but I do get more...it is undeniable.
What do you mean "you get more"?

I don't want to put words in your mouth....but,
do you mean more visits
Less waiting time
Medical equipment is newer and more plentiful

All of which could be true, though a bit of warning, some of the above
varies a lot depending on where you live, you live Seattle ....you get this....
you live Gillette, Wyoming you get something else (perhaps not as good).
I live in Burlington, Ontario and my parents live next door in Oakville, Ontario,
Burlington Hospital is in the final stages of a huge expansion, many millions of dollars,
Oakville, even better, a huge new hospital just opened, hundreds of millions of dollars
invested by combo of the province and very wealthy donors.
Consequently, in my neck of the woods, we have it pretty good, probably as good
as anywhere in the USA, save the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota.

No doubt you pay through the nose, I feel for you, and apparently you get a lot,
according to you, more. Good for you, is every american in your shoes?
Probably not. I'm sure US senators have it even better than you
and ironically don't have to pay, part of the perks they receive.

Old 08-07-2017, 04:05 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,305,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
What do you mean "you get more"?

I don't want to put words in your mouth....but,
do you mean more visits
Less waiting time
Medical equipment is newer and more plentiful
All of which could be true
This

Quote:
, though a bit of warning, some of the above
varies a lot depending on where you live, you live Seattle ....you get this....
you live Gillette, Wyoming you get something else (perhaps not as good).
Obviously, the same as a Canadian in Vancouver compared to a Canadian living in Bella Coola....

Old 08-11-2017, 08:36 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
The reason is clear. When Canadians get old, they move to Yuma Arizona. When Americans get old they move to Pheonis Arizona or Florida. It is all a question of aging.

Old 08-11-2017, 03:04 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,500,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
The reason is clear. When Canadians get old, they move to Yuma Arizona. When Americans get old they move to Pheonis Arizona or Florida. It is all a question of aging.
Splort; I love this one!

Old 08-11-2017, 03:31 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,348,051 times
The U.S. has higher salaries and (generally) better career opportunities for professionals.

Also, Canada is MUCH more pro-immigration, so lots of immigrants come to Canada first, though their ultimate goal is the U.S. I know a ton of immigrants who couldn't get into the U.S., got visa to Canada, and eventually moved to U.S.

Finally, Canada has no Sunbelt, so if you're Canadian and want year-round sun and beach weather, the U.S. is the realistic option.

Old 08-12-2017, 06:14 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,500,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
The U.S. has higher salaries and (generally) better career opportunities for professionals.

Also, Canada is MUCH more pro-immigration, so lots of immigrants come to Canada first, though their ultimate goal is the U.S. I know a ton of immigrants who couldn't get into the U.S., got visa to Canada, and eventually moved to U.S.

Finally, Canada has no Sunbelt, so if you're Canadian and want year-round sun and beach weather, the U.S. is the realistic option.
To a certain extent.

You're right that the US has a lot more opportunities, which is the result of it being a much larger country and that migration to Canada is generally easier. People who want to play it safe with their career are probably better off in Canada.

i don't necessarily agree with the premise, that going to the US is their end goal. Obviously that is the case for a certain group, but there are large groups who migrate to Canada with the intention of settling there.

Old 08-12-2017, 11:35 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,567,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post

I'd like to see some hard numbers on those who actually use Canada for that purpose.

This article seems to suggest that some of those who went to the US to study with the intention of possibly immigrating, choose Canada in the end because it's simply easier.

"According to Marianne, a citizen of France who studied business at a university in Tennessee, the procedure to hire a foreign worker for an American employer is very complicated. After completing her studies and returning to France, she considered coming back to the United States to work, but opted instead to move to Canada. She said, “It is much easier to immigrate to Canada than it is to the United States.

"Viktor, a Ukrainian who received an American graduate degree in engineering, told me that Canada has a centralized and clear immigration program for professionals. Viktor weighed remaining in the United States or moving to Canada. He noted that those with education and experience who want to move to Canada have to pass an English test and show that they have enough money to support themselves (and their families, if they have them) for the first several months. The Canadian government charges a fee of approximately $2,900 for two people. But this leads to a permanent immigration visa, whereas in the United States an H1-B visa is a three-year temporary visa."

U.S. loses to Canada when it comes to immigration - MarketWatch

Old 08-12-2017, 07:36 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,247,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I'd like to see some hard numbers on those who actually use Canada for that purpose.

This article seems to suggest that some of those who went to the US to study with the intention of possibly immigrating, choose Canada in the end because it's simply easier.

"According to Marianne, a citizen of France who studied business at a university in Tennessee, the procedure to hire a foreign worker for an American employer is very complicated. After completing her studies and returning to France, she considered coming back to the United States to work, but opted instead to move to Canada. She said, “It is much easier to immigrate to Canada than it is to the United States.

"Viktor, a Ukrainian who received an American graduate degree in engineering, told me that Canada has a centralized and clear immigration program for professionals. Viktor weighed remaining in the United States or moving to Canada. He noted that those with education and experience who want to move to Canada have to pass an English test and show that they have enough money to support themselves (and their families, if they have them) for the first several months. The Canadian government charges a fee of approximately $2,900 for two people. But this leads to a permanent immigration visa, whereas in the United States an H1-B visa is a three-year temporary visa."

Nice Red White and Blue..... and black.

But anyway ..... perhaps the US is losing professionals immigration and choosing Canada instead? But the Canadian system FAVORS AND CHOOSES PROFESIONALS FIRST. Any uneducated you have a uphill battle unless maybe as a refugee or some exceptions like a Nanny (a example)..... in making it seem soooooo much more compassionate over the US immigration system that :

- promotes unity of families (to be here legally) over seeing professionals enter first. Higher certainly education helps. Especially from 1st world nations. But far more low-educated in % immigration are let in the US then Canada. Trump wants to change that to Canada's high-skilled first POLICY.

Then the US has the illegal immigrant problem. THEY ARE REFUGEES BY FAR WITH LITTLE EDUCATION ALSO. The US has more illegals it has to absorb...... Then the whole current population of All Canada. Seems some ONLY want to count legal status refugees and cite the US as uncompassionate for Trump's Syrian refugees ban. But TRY BEING IN THE US SHOES IN THE ILLEGAL REFUGEES WE GET.

Some might say lower-skilled born Americans in many areas compete with the massive Latino influx with many illegal over the decades. African-Americans perhaps a lot? It's no secret that much of the hospitality industry employs a very high % of these Latino immigrants? Many illegal over the decades (probably much less in todays hostile environment in crackdowns on business employing ILLEGALS). Some could say inner-city African-Americans might have otherwise had these jobs and White Americans too otherwise? Again ....... no secret here.

The US has its problems for sure..... Legal poor immigrants and ILLEGALS that beat the system to gain all the benefits as legal ones? Are a problem in the US GROWING UNDERCLASS. Along with native born sometimes multiple generations. Plenty of presumed and accused blame to go round.

Most Americans GET ANNOYED at accusations of being uncompassionate in immigration to ban Syrians? But history AND WHOLE SCOPE OF ILLEGALS OVER DECADES show compassion having some limits. But the US still takes plenty of legal uneducated immigrants as NOT MOSTLY EXCLUDED AS LOW-SKILLED IN FAVOR OF THE ELITE.

It reasons if..... Canada had data to say Syrian refugees cause a high risk to Canada? It would TWEEK ITS SYSTEM FAST TO BEST SERVE CANADIAN INTEREST. ITS IMMIGRATION SYSTEM. Surely does.

I wonder if the US adopted a more Canadian pro-high-skilled immigrants first and overall? AS TRUMP WANTS... then the US GAINS a more COMPASSIONATE Nation status BACK.... Oh and we allow ALL ILLEGALS IN AND STAY ......

I can imagine the uproar if US ILLEGALS entering Canada... became a Canada crossing issue? Just keep hoping the US economy stays decent ....... no ILL WISHING ITS DEMISE and FALL. The world is too intertwined and the US/Canada as conjoined/fraternal twins .....

Old 08-12-2017, 08:09 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,500,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post

But anyway ..... perhaps the US is losing professionals immigration and choosing Canada instead? But the Canadian system FAVORS AND CHOOSES PROFESIONALS FIRST. Any uneducated you have a uphill battle unless maybe as a refugee or some exceptions like a Nanny (a example)..... in making it seem soooooo much more compassionate over the US immigration system that :

- promotes unity of families (to be here legally) over seeing professionals enter first. Higher certainly education helps. Especially from 1st world nations. But far more low-educated in % immigration are let in the US then Canada. Trump wants to change that to Canada's high-skilled first POLICY.

Then the US has the illegal immigrant problem. THEY ARE REFUGEES BY FAR WITH LITTLE EDUCATION ALSO. The US has more illegals it has to absorb...... Then the whole current population of All Canada. Seems some ONLY want to count legal status refugees and cite the US as uncompassionate for Trump's Syrian refugees ban. But TRY BEING IN THE US SHOES IN THE ILLEGAL REFUGEES WE GET.

Some might say lower-skilled born Americans in many areas compete with the massive Latino influx with many illegal over the decades. African-Americans perhaps a lot? It's no secret that much of the hospitality industry employs a very high % of these Latino immigrants? Many illegal over the decades (probably much less in todays hostile environment in crackdowns on business employing ILLEGALS). Some could say inner-city African-Americans might have otherwise had these jobs and White Americans too otherwise? Again ....... no secret here.

The US has its problems for sure..... Legal poor immigrants and ILLEGALS that beat the system to gain all the benefits as legal ones? Are a problem in the US GROWING UNDERCLASS. Along with native born sometimes multiple generations. Plenty of presumed and accused blame to go round.

Most Americans GET ANNOYED at accusations of being uncompassionate in immigration to ban Syrians? But history AND WHOLE SCOPE OF ILLEGALS OVER DECADES show compassion having some limits. But the US still takes plenty of legal uneducated immigrants as NOT MOSTLY EXCLUDED AS LOW-SKILLED IN FAVOR OF THE ELITE.

It reasons if..... Canada had data to say Syrian refugees cause a high risk to Canada? It would TWEEK ITS SYSTEM FAST TO BEST SERVE CANADIAN INTEREST. ITS IMMIGRATION SYSTEM. Surely does.

I wonder if the US adopted a more Canadian pro-high-skilled immigrants first and overall? AS TRUMP WANTS... then the US GAINS a more COMPASSIONATE Nation status BACK.... Oh and we allow ALL ILLEGALS IN AND STAY ......

I can imagine the uproar if US ILLEGALS entering Canada... became a Canada crossing issue? Just keep hoping the US economy stays decent ....... no ILL WISHING ITS DEMISE and FALL. The world is too intertwined and the US/Canada as conjoined/fraternal twins .....
Well, I can't find anything to argue about with this one. Were the U.S. to change it's immigration policies using 'qualifications' rather than using racial or religious markers alone? who could argue with that?

Every country has the right to formulate it's immigration standards. Providing they're done with maintenance of acceptable humanitarian and legal norms, who could object?

Underscoring your points:
For A Stark Contrast To U.S. Immigration Policy, Try Canada : Parallels : NPR

Economic requirement priority versus family reunification.

Old 08-12-2017, 11:09 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,305,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post

You guys completely misunderstand the US immigration system.....the US is very pro professional immigration, absolutely so...simply you need to be on an entirely different level in order to get sponsored for a GC in the US....actually people of exceptional abilities can self-petition themselves for a Green Card.

Researchers, people with extremely high qualifications and experiences, niche professions in very high demands can get sponsored for a US Green Card right away.

The US system is geared towards what companies needs not a general point system.

Having just an IT degree and your run of the mill working experience does not cut it to get US permanent residence (you may get an H-1B and, maybe, just maybe, if you are lucky, after many years the company could sponsor you for a GC), in Canada it does.

Same for the business immigration....if you actually want to create a real company that creates real full time jobs and can prove itself for many years, eventually you get a GC....again, no, opening a pizza joint or buying a 7-Eleven store does not cut it.

Professional salaries are higher on average in the US, absolutely undeniable.

Nat, you want "hard data"?? My own experience alone is revealing enough.....

Canada is way, way easier to get into compared to the US but the doors are open for really high level professionals.

Last edited by saturno_v; 08-12-2017 at 11:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada