Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2017, 08:28 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,774,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
By the way, winter in Spokane is not that brutal and they get a ton of sunshine....

Personally I do not mind few days of snow (I ski occasionally) and if I will move out of the area I can see myself spending a weekend or two in the snow in winter... but living in it is a different story. Same thing with rain...I do not mind few days of gray and rain (after all we do need rain)....few days.....

Moving around your own country is way easier.
Spokane can get pretty cold. I spent a lot of time there when I was young and then my wife and I lived there in 1996 when I was a software consultant at Kaiser Aluminum in Trentwood.

Unless a person has lived in different climates, they cannot make an informed judgement. I didn't realize how cool it is in Victoria until I went back for a little while after living in Los Angeles. When we lived in Vancouver for 18 months after living in Mexico for 4 years, my wife and I were so happy to move back to San Diego where we actually had sunshine most days.

I know many people that moved to Phoenix from places like Colorado. After a year they moved back where they came from but then lo and behold, they moved back to Phoenix. They all said they didn't realize how one gets used to having the sun shine and not be freezing.

Now in all fairness, there are people that don't like the heat but they are in a minority. There is a reason why the sun belt states have grown so much.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:43 PM

40 posts, read 28,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
To be honest, though some Canadians who move to the U.S. do come back to Canada, most do not. Even many of those who miss Canada dearly will hold back on returning because they don't want to give up the easily practical and material lifestyle they have in the U.S.
Spot on.

As a Canadian who originally moved to the U.S. in 1980, I'll be honest that I have thought about moving back many times, especially over the last decade. Because I am married to an American, the process of sponsoring my spouse is simply too challenging. It's not like we can decide to move to Canada, pack and cross the border. Instead, the process can take years. That's still simply too long in holding mode for regular middle class families with work and family requirements - and don't get me started on the invasive questions and ridiculous documentation Immigration Canada asks for.

Additionally, I've seen first-hand the medical treatment my relatives back in Canada receive. I can get an MRI in a day, sometimes same day. My cousin waited for over a year. My uncle waited 6 months for some prostate treatment, and my stepfather here in the US had the exact same treatment within days of diagnosis. My stepfather also had to advise my uncle of some medication that would help him, becasue my uncle was told there was nothing available. My uncle took the information back to his Canadian doctor who told him the medication was not allowed. Really?

The medical system in Canada is troubling, but after living in the States, I would have no problem crossing the border and paying for medical treatment in the States for serious issues. That is something that my Canadian relatives simply won't consider. They politely wait their turn and think I'm crazy for paying for medical services. I find it amazing when they refuse or complain about having to pay for anything health related and not covered by the government.

Growing up in Canada in the 60s and 70s provided me with a fantastic childhood. I look forward to retirement and the opportunity to visit (up to 6 months at a time and no paperwork!) the places that I love in Canada, but still "live" in the States. It's just easier that way.

Old 08-04-2017, 02:41 AM

1,147 posts, read 717,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Normally I like all of your posts and I have repped you several times for your sharp astuteness but that post is totally off the wall BS. Where did you get the impression that Canada even wants or needs to compete with and perform better than USA, let alone against any other country? Canada doesn't need to compete with any other countries, especially not USA since USA is so badly screwed up right now and getting worse with each passing day they don't know if they're coming or going.

Does your impression and translation of Canadian mentality come just from this forum or does it come from all over the world wide web? Certainly there is always room for improvement from Canada but it doesn't have to be at the expense of any other country or because of competition with other countries. What's the point of chest thumping and picking on any country when all it does is cause hard feelings?

Most Canadians couldn't care less about other foreign nationals' insecurities and competitiveness over their own countries and we would be satisfied if certain trollish people would just buzz off, quit their baiting, bullying and ragging on Canada, and mind their own god damned business and confine their national insecurities to their own countries.

Just because one or two Canadians on the Canada forum can't resist constantly rising to non-stop troll bait coming from non-Canadians and perpetuating the competitive stupidity as if they think they're proving a point to anyone who actually cares does NOT mean that all of Canadian mentality equals "If we're performing better than the United States, we should be satisfied". That is such BS.

Perhaps Canadian healthcare and labour policies are average? Examining how other countries outperform Canada would be advantageous. I think Canada's performance is often evaluated alongside the United States. Why? Canada could learn more from elsewhere.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:49 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish & Chips View Post
Perhaps Canadian healthcare and labour policies are average? Examining how other countries outperform Canada would be advantageous. I think Canada's performance is often evaluated alongside the United States. Why? Canada could learn more from elsewhere.
Well firstly, wouldn't one have to ascertain who it is doing the majority of comparisons?

Perhaps perusing the Canada section from page 190 forward might be of some worth?

Old 08-04-2017, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Well firstly, wouldn't one have to ascertain who it is doing the majority of comparisons?

Perhaps perusing the Canada section from page 190 forward might be of some worth?
The American posters on City-Data make laughable claims about many countries, so Canadians shouldn't feel offended or motivated to challenge everything. Just laugh at them.

Old 08-04-2017, 07:56 AM

Quote:
The American posters on City-Data make laughable claims about many countries, so Canadians shouldn't feel offended or motivated to challenge everything. Just laugh at them.
Aaah, I see you've narrowed it down to one particular nationality.

You're suggesting they be ignored while given special dispensation and additional leeway?

Why?

Old 08-04-2017, 08:07 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,491,500 times
Quote:

You're suggesting they be ignored while given special dispensation and additional leeway?

Why?
I think Fish & Chips makes way too many generalisations. There have always been people making outrageous claims about certain countries. It's hardly unique to Americans picking on Canada.

I think criticism should be accepted as long as it has some substance.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
I think Fish & Chips makes way too many generalisations. There have always been people making outrageous claims about certain countries. It's hardly unique to Americans picking on Canada.

I think criticism should be accepted as long as it has some substance.
Won't argue with that. Canada's climate is not as universally liked as the State of Hawaii's.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:

Why?
Irrationality can be acknowledged, but it doesn't deserve to be challenged with responses that contain multiple paragraphs. People overvalue Americans' opinions.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Irrationality can be acknowledged, but it doesn't deserve to be challenged with responses that contain multiple paragraphs. People overvalue Americans' opinions.
A good point, concisely made.

I get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada