Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2017, 02:02 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I have been reading this thread with great interest. It is great if Canadians who like the 4 seasons are happy where they are. For those of us who don't, one can feel trapped unless you want to immigrate to a different country which is quite difficult in many cases. Canada isn't the only country that has this issue but it is still frustrating. It would be the same as a person who lives in Singapore or Equatorial Guinea who yearns for cold snowy winters and 4 seasons but who doesn't want or can't to immigrate for any number of reasons and for those in that situation, I really feel for them. Americans and Chinese are the luckiest in this regard as they have so much climatic diversity within their country. Canadians, not so much.
Again it's so subjective. Many Americans do not move to warmer climes, but stay where they are in places that are colder and snowier than Vancouver.

Old 08-03-2017, 02:09 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,301,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I understand that. Even SoCal gets some variation...the blooming desert this year was an example....but the variations are not the same.
They may not be the same but they can be as evident......again, even in places like Phoenix you have changes in colors, wildlife, etc....

Vancouver or Seattle do not get desert areas or Caribbean blue waters or shiny sandy beaches....again the biggest extreme variation I saw in my life within a restricted geographical area are in Europe.....incredible landscape and climate variations literally within few miles.

Old 08-03-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Americans and Chinese are the luckiest in this regard as they have so much climatic diversity within their country. Canadians, not so much.

...don't forget Europeans and South Americans (Mercosur passport holders)

Australians too can get their snow fix if they want to in winter.

Old 08-03-2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Again it's so subjective. Many Americans do not move to warmer climes, but stay where they are in places that are colder and snowier than Vancouver.
There are a lot of American snowbirds....I do not imply that everyone move south in winter but, as you age, it is a very common phenomena.....entire cities and communities mushroomed to accommodate these people.

Old 08-03-2017, 02:19 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times
Quote:
True and there are lots of Americans I am sure who like the 4 season temperate climates but for those who don't and are able to move, at least they don't have to go through immigration procedures to get the climate they want. They can move from state to state with relative ease and not need a passport.

Old 08-03-2017, 02:21 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
...don't forget Europeans and South Americans (Mercosur passport holders)

Australians too can get their snow fix if they want to in winter.
True... although language barriers in Europe might make it more difficult to establish yourself but definitely way easier than A Canadian who wants to move to another country.

Old 08-03-2017, 02:22 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
True and there are lots of Americans I am sure who like the 4 season temperate climates but for those who don't and are able to move, at least they don't have to go through immigration procedures to get the climate they want. They can move from state to state with relative ease and not need a passport.
I know you really like warmer sunny weather all year, so i feel your frustration. Funny though, I was in the US last week for a few days and met people who actually moved from California to Eastern Washington 2 years ago and the brought up the fact that they enjoy winter in Spokane LOL

Old 08-03-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
I know you really like warmer sunny weather all year, so i feel your frustration. Funny though, I was in the US last week for a few days and met people who actually moved from California to Eastern Washington 2 years ago and the brought up the fact that they enjoy winter in Spokane LOL
By the way, winter in Spokane is not that brutal and they get a ton of sunshine....

Personally I do not mind few days of snow (I ski occasionally) and if I will move out of the area I can see myself spending a weekend or two in the snow in winter... but living in it is a different story. Same thing with rain...I do not mind few days of gray and rain (after all we do need rain)....few days.....

Moving around your own country is way easier.

Old 08-03-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
True... although language barriers in Europe might make it more difficult to establish yourself but definitely way easier than A Canadian who wants to move to another country.
Language barrier is becoming less of an issue in Europe...English is pretty much "lingua franca" (despite Brexit ), there are excellent services for retirees in different languages, etc...

My best friends in Vancouver are moving back to Europe (Spain) the 18 of this month after 17 years....to be honest, I'm a bit jelaous

Old 08-03-2017, 08:14 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,775,888 times
Quote:
That's good for YOU. My friend in Phoenix misses Spokane winters where he is from.
It takes all kinds to make a world. I lived in Spokane and we enjoyed it until the cold weather hit in September and then it was back to California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada