Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2017, 12:53 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,305,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Yes.

Even Vancouver's weather is hardly good. Does anyone in the US think Seattle has great weather? It will be hard to find one. Vancouver is often considered to have good weather only in the context of Canada, which is horrible overall.

Some people are ridiculou to say the weather is not so bad because 35M people live here. Where is the logic? Can Canadians move wherever they want to? People live in war-torn countries too, does that mean they don't mind the suffering?

Lyon is actually 2 degrees more north than Toronto!! This gives you an idea of how blessed Europe is geographically and climate wise.

Old 08-03-2017, 01:13 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,564,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Not forbidden at all. As I said, speaking about issues is productive. Saying "your country does this shi*tier than my country" is not. How about mixing in some constructive criticism every once in a while? Like for example, if you view Americas healthcare system as inferior, what Canadian policies would work in an American context and help it improve? Or one the other side if you view Canada's wait times to be significantly higher, then what US policies could be adopted to improve it?

Yeah I know, its alot to ask.

I'm with that.

I agree. Nothing beats first hand knowledge, which comes from actually living somewhere. I assume many in the Anti Canada and anti US camp have. So hey while I may not agree with them 100%, they have something to share. It sure beats listening to someone who has never lived somewhere.
I agree, but this being CD I find the conversations in regards to Canada are usually a reaction to a statement, untrue mostly, about Canada.

I have on other threads offered ideas on how Healthcare Coverage insurance could be applied universally in the US. That is usually where the conversation becomes one where I or other Canadians have to respond to the lies, yes lies, about our system. Most don't want to hear it.

Old 08-03-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
I lived in Phoenix and I will take their summer weather hands down over the dismal rainy dreary winters in Vancouver.
That's good for YOU. My friend in Phoenix misses Spokane winters where he is from.

Old 08-03-2017, 01:19 PM

3,867 posts, read 5,293,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I agree, but this being CD I find the conversations in regards to Canada are usually a reaction to a statement, untrue mostly, about Canada.

I have on other threads offered ideas on how Healthcare Coverage insurance could be applied universally in the US. That is usually where the conversation becomes one where I or other Canadians have to respond to the lies, yes lies, about our system. Most don't want to hear it.
Using the Canadian model? I would love to read this one day.

Old 08-03-2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish & Chips View Post
This is my translation of Canadian mentality: "If we're performing better than the United States, we should be satisfied".

I like Canada and Canadians, but I think their country would improve more if they tried to compete against Australia or Norway instead.
In what area of performance are we talking about?

Old 08-03-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
I have lived in all climates from frigid winters in Windermere BC, rainy in Pacific Northwest, to tropical in
Florida and Mexico, temperate in California, and desert in Arizona. I don't care about the seasons. I want warm and sunny everyday. I have lived in warm climates for the last 47 years.

Southern California is the best with low humidity and warm sunny days. You can have moderate temperatures close to the coast to hot in the inland valleys and desert. We prefer hot and sunny which is a major factor, though not the only one, in why we live where we do.

I also lived for 2 years in Caracas Venezuela which is as close to ideal weather of anywhere I have lived.

I realize that there are people that like the 4 seasons, rainy weather etc. and that is their prerogative. I respect their opinion but don't understand it.
My take. I find waking up to the same sunny weather all year round to be like Groundhog day, the movie.

By having different seasons, I find I do different things at different times of the year.

Summer, the beach, picnics, enjoying gardens, camping, BBQ's,wearnig shorts, and sitting on a pubs patio enjoying a cold beer on a hot day.

Autumn. Going for walks in the crisp air ( it smells great at this time of year ), watching the leaves turn, eating more robust meals, sitting inside reading a book or watching a movie while the rain lashes at window.

Winter. Bundling up to go outside. Sweaters! In Vancouver if I want snow, it's on the mountains. Otherwise I have no issue with low clouds and rainstorms. Again, I get to do inside stuff without feeling I should be outside.
I use this time to focus on things I neglect when the weather is warmer. Again...food is full of heavier meals, and some deep dark red wines!

Spring. Love seeing things come back to life, and gardens grow. Vancouver has thousands upon thousands of blooming trees.

I do enjoy a nice sunny trip in winter, to Hawaii, and Mexico...SoCal not as much nowadays. However I can tell you after 2 weeks of sun, I really don't mind coming home.

Old 08-03-2017, 01:50 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,330,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
......when I lived in Vancouver and I was complaining with friends and colleagues about the long dreary rainy days the most common comment was ohh think about Toronto now or Calgary or Montreal and so on......because that was the comparison, the alternatives....so I should have considered myself lucky.....
Well, that is how Manitobans think Vancouverites speak about their weather.

The thing about Manitobans is that we reverse brag about our weather. We talk about how awful it is and take a certain amount of perverse pride in it. Probably because we're used to every other area of the country trash talking it and honestly, there's not that much to say to defend it. It's cold here. Most of us probably would change the winter if we could although some like it. But everyone seems to take winter holidays in Cuba or Mexico and that seems to be enough for most people.

Old 08-03-2017, 01:52 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,710,622 times
I have been reading this thread with great interest. It is great if Canadians who like the 4 seasons are happy where they are. For those of us who don't, one can feel trapped unless you want to immigrate to a different country which is quite difficult in many cases. Canada isn't the only country that has this issue but it is still frustrating. It would be the same as a person who lives in Singapore or Equatorial Guinea who yearns for cold snowy winters and 4 seasons but who doesn't want or can't to immigrate for any number of reasons and for those in that situation, I really feel for them. Americans and Chinese are the luckiest in this regard as they have so much climatic diversity within their country. Canadians, not so much.

Old 08-03-2017, 01:53 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,305,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
My take. I find waking up to the same sunny weather all year round to be like Groundhog day, the movie.

By having different seasons, I find I do different things at different times of the year.

Summer, the beach, picnics, enjoying gardens, camping, BBQ's,wearnig shorts, and sitting on a pubs patio enjoying a cold beer on a hot day.

Autumn. Going for walks in the crisp air ( it smells great at this time of year ), watching the leaves turn, eating more robust meals, sitting inside reading a book or watching a movie while the rain lashes at window.

Winter. Bundling up to go outside. Sweaters! In Vancouver if I want snow, it's on the mountains. Otherwise I have no issue with low clouds and rainstorms. Again, I get to do inside stuff without feeling I should be outside.
I use this time to focus on things I neglect when the weather is warmer. Again...food is full of heavier meals, and some deep dark red wines!

Spring. Love seeing things come back to life, and gardens grow. Vancouver has thousands upon thousands of blooming trees.

I do enjoy a nice sunny trip in winter, to Hawaii, and Mexico...SoCal not as much nowadays. However I can tell you after 2 weeks of sun, I really don't mind coming home.

Even in places as extreme as Phoenix you can appreciate the difference between winter and summer....they get the occasional thunderstorm, air is cool and crispy at night, etc.....
If you want snow, is not too far north which is amazing considering Phoenix position and climate. Ton of activities to do.
It is not my ideal climate by any stretch of imagination but is not a permanent oven with no variation as many think.

Old 08-03-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Even in places as extreme as Phoenix you can appreciate the difference between winter and summer....they get the occasional thunderstorm, air is cool and crispy at night, etc.....
If you want snow, is not too far north which is amazing considering Phoenix position and climate.
It is not my ideal climate by any stretch of imagination but is not a permanent oven with no variation as many think.
I understand that. Even SoCal gets some variation...the blooming desert this year was an example....but the variations are not the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.