Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2017, 07:24 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,732,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Another aspect that some people that live in very cold climates do not understand is that places that do not have snow in winter does not mean that they do not experience 4 seasons with changes in temperature, vegetation color, wildlife, etc....

Autumn in Rome,. a sunny city that basically never see a drop of snow and where the temperature always stays above freezing in winter....4 seasons indeed...I would actually argue that many of the more temperate places sees more of the 4 seasons turnover than a lot of colder ones.

Yes, I laugh out loud every time a Canadian says "we just have 4 seasons" as if winter necessarily means -25C, 2 feet of snow and freezing temperature in April. That's not winter. That's hell.

Canadians usually don't understand what a normal human being sees as "winter" - somewhere between -5 and +5 degrees, one or two snow falls, or none, and it usually is gone by early march, where flowers start to bloom and trees turn green.

Last winter in Lyon, it is unusually cold at -8C for a few days, one snow fall in late Jan, but spring arrived by March 10. That's called "winter". Today it is 36C. That's called "four seasons" without hell.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:41 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,278,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Yes.

Even Vancouver's weather is hardly good. Does anyone in the US think Seattle has great weather? It will be hard to find one. Vancouver is often considered to have good weather only in the context of Canada, which is horrible overall.

Some people are ridiculou to say the weather is not so bad because 35M people live here. Where is the logic? Can Canadians move wherever they want to? People live in war-torn countries too, does that mean they don't mind the suffering?
True.

Thing that puzzles me is that people pick on Canada for the "bad climate"
but it barely registers when discussing any other country.

For example, Poland has such great climates....I think not, there are better climates in parts of Canada.

Even the vaunted UK. Sure it's mild, no doubt, but not that fantastic.
If you want a UK kind of mild Canada can provide that ....Victoria, BC (and it's sunnier than the UK too).
Warmest average july anywhere in the UK (around London) is about 23.5C (74F)
Heck, that's like Windsor, Ontario average september high!
A lot of these european countries don't anything in terms of places like Osoyoos, BC
with it's hot dry summers....average july high 31.5C (89F).

Also not as good in the sunshine department either, Canada's southern pairies average
annual sunshine hours are in the 2500 plus range.
Both London and Paris struggle with less than 1700,
Canadian cities are well above that from coast to coast, even Vancouver in the 1900 range.

Countries like...
Norway
Sweden
Finland
Denmark
Estonia
Latvia
Lithuania
Belarus
Poland
Czech Republic
Slovakia
Netherlands
Belgium
Austria
Germany
Slovenia
Moldova
The UK
All not as good as Canada climatically.

Other countries not much better...
Romania
Bulgaria
Russia

Even countries in Asia not that great....
Japan....a soggy humid mess
Korea...north and south...again a soggy humid mess, poor for the latitude
Even China...a lot of it has very poor sunshine hours and north areas frigid winters,
southern area, again soggy humid, horrid climates. Yunnan Provine is good though.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:29 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,500,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
True.

For example, Poland has such great climates....I think not, there are better climates in parts of Canada.

If you want a UK kind of mild Canada can provide that ....Victoria, BC (and it's sunnier than the UK too).
A lot of these european countries don't anything in terms of places like Osoyoos, BC

Also not as good in the sunshine department either, Canada's southern pairies average
Canadian cities are well above that from coast to coast, even Vancouver in the 1900 range.

Countries like...
Norway
Sweden
Finland
Denmark
Estonia
Latvia
Lithuania
Belarus
Poland
Czech Republic
Slovakia
Netherlands
Belgium
Austria
Germany
Slovenia
Moldova
The UK

Romania
Bulgaria
Russia

Even China...a lot of it has very poor sunshine hours and north areas frigid winters,
southern area, again soggy humid, horrid climates. Yunnan Provine is good though.
What? You're actually attempting to suggest to these obsessive compulsive Canada bashers that there might be other countries out there with less than temperate climates?

Old 08-03-2017, 08:38 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,500,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish & Chips View Post
This is my translation of Canadian mentality: "If we're performing better than the United States, we should be satisfied".

I like Canada and Canadians, but I think their country would improve more if they tried to compete against Australia or Norway instead.

Here's a tip for you...take a look at the history of this section starting at page 189 to see from which country the vast majority of the 'Canada vs US' comparisons emanate, then get back to us all on what you learn from reading those threads started by predominantly one country's citizens premised upon comparing Canada and the U.S. for the sole purpose of disparaging one of them.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:47 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,333,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Yes, I laugh out loud every time a Canadian says "we just have 4 seasons" as if winter necessarily means -25C, 2 feet of snow and freezing temperature in April. That's not winter. That's hell.

Canadians usually don't understand what a normal human being sees as "winter" - somewhere between -5 and +5 degrees, one or two snow falls, or none, and it usually is gone by early march, where flowers start to bloom and trees turn green.

Last winter in Lyon, it is unusually cold at -8C for a few days, one snow fall in late Jan, but spring arrived by March 10. That's called "winter". Today it is 36C. That's called "four seasons" without hell.
To you.

What you see as normal is defined by your experience so since you didn't grow up with a Manitoba style winter, it wouldn't be 'normal' to you any more than months of grey cloudy skies and drizzle is normal to me. I certainly have no objection to people who prefer to live in a grey hell all winter long. But for normal people who have had the opportunity to experience something different, their reaction to seasons might have more in common with that of my sister-in-law who lived on Vancouver Island for many years: "Oh to be in Manitoba in the spring!"

I lived not that far from Lyon some years ago.

Aren't you the person who complained as well about how Canadians romantize a 'real' summer while you prefer it cooler? I seem to recall a post like that.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:37 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,057,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish & Chips View Post
This is my translation of Canadian mentality: "If we're performing better than the United States, we should be satisfied".

I like Canada and Canadians, but I think their country would improve more if they tried to compete against Australia or Norway instead.

Normally I like all of your posts and I have repped you several times for your sharp astuteness but that post is totally off the wall BS. Where did you get the impression that Canada even wants or needs to compete with and perform better than USA, let alone against any other country? Canada doesn't need to compete with any other countries, especially not USA since USA is so badly screwed up right now and getting worse with each passing day they don't know if they're coming or going.

Does your impression and translation of Canadian mentality come just from this forum or does it come from all over the world wide web? Certainly there is always room for improvement from Canada but it doesn't have to be at the expense of any other country or because of competition with other countries. What's the point of chest thumping and picking on any country when all it does is cause hard feelings?

Most Canadians couldn't care less about other foreign nationals' insecurities and competitiveness over their own countries and we would be satisfied if certain trollish people would just buzz off, quit their baiting, bullying and ragging on Canada, and mind their own god damned business and confine their national insecurities to their own countries.

Just because one or two Canadians on the Canada forum can't resist constantly rising to non-stop troll bait coming from non-Canadians and perpetuating the competitive stupidity as if they think they're proving a point to anyone who actually cares does NOT mean that all of Canadian mentality equals "If we're performing better than the United States, we should be satisfied". That is such BS.

Old 08-03-2017, 12:11 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,306,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
True.

Countries like...
Norway
Sweden
Finland
Denmark
Estonia
Latvia
Lithuania
Belarus
Poland
Czech Republic
Slovakia
Netherlands
Belgium
Austria
Germany
Slovenia
Moldova
The UK

Romania
Bulgaria
Russia

The UK is regularly mocked (in a funny way) for its weather.....ever hear the expression "our 3 days of summer"?? So is Russia......nobody thinks Germany has great weather and nobody visit Scandinavian countries for their weather.....so no, is not only Canada....

Last edited by saturno_v; 08-03-2017 at 12:25 PM..

Old 08-03-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Normally I like all of your posts and I have repped you several times for your sharp astuteness but that post is totally off the wall BS. Where did you get the impression that Canada even wants or needs to compete with and perform better than USA, let alone against any other country? Canada doesn't need to compete with any other countries, especially not USA since USA is so badly screwed up right now and getting worse with each passing day they don't know if they're coming or going.

Does your impression and translation of Canadian mentality come just from this forum or does it come from all over the world wide web? Certainly there is always room for improvement from Canada but it doesn't have to be at the expense of any other country or because of competition with other countries. What's the point of chest thumping and picking on any country when all it does is cause hard feelings?

Most Canadians couldn't care less about other foreign nationals' insecurities and competitiveness over their own countries and we would be satisfied if certain trollish people would just buzz off, quit their baiting, bullying and ragging on Canada, and mind their own god damned business and confine their national insecurities to their own countries.

Just because one or two Canadians on the Canada forum can't resist constantly rising to non-stop troll bait coming from non-Canadians and perpetuating the competitive stupidity as if they think they're proving a point to anyone who actually cares does NOT mean that all of Canadian mentality equals "If we're performing better than the United States, we should be satisfied". That is such BS.

.......the pot calling the kettle black.....

Old 08-03-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
To you.

What you see as normal is defined by your experience so since you didn't grow up with a Manitoba style winter, it wouldn't be 'normal' to you any more than months of grey cloudy skies and drizzle is normal to me. I certainly have no objection to people who prefer to live in a grey hell all winter long. But for normal people who have had the opportunity to experience something different, their reaction to seasons might have more in common with that of my sister-in-law who lived on Vancouver Island for many years: "Oh to be in Manitoba in the spring!"

I lived not that far from Lyon some years ago.

Aren't you the person who complained as well about how Canadians romantize a 'real' summer while you prefer it cooler? I seem to recall a post like that.

......when I lived in Vancouver and I was complaining with friends and colleagues about the long dreary rainy days the most common comment was ohh think about Toronto now or Calgary or Montreal and so on......because that was the comparison, the alternatives....so I should have considered myself lucky.....

Old 08-03-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_wanderer View Post

Once you live in a warm climate there is no way back.

....yes that is the most common comment from people with your similar experience....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada