Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2017, 05:01 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,774,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
...usually the reply to someone that dares to say that weather is not one of Canada great assets is : "....but in Phoenix....." like everybody else lives in Phoenix....
I lived in Phoenix and I will take their summer weather hands down over the dismal rainy dreary winters in Vancouver.

Old 08-02-2017, 05:56 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,298,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
I lived in Phoenix and I will take their summer weather hands down over the dismal rainy dreary winters in Vancouver.

I agree, me too but maybe that is too extreme for some...however the point is that everybody can appreciate few days of snow and cold for a variation.....an entire long winter of it definitely not....

Old 08-02-2017, 08:23 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
Some significant parts of Canada have three seasons at best -- summer, autumn, and winter -- while other significant parts of it have only two, really -- summer and winter. Outside of the warmer parts of British Columbia, the winter in all parts of Canada is five-to-six months long. And it's a real winter, with all of the ice, the snow, and the freezing temperatures that go along with it. That kind of winter is objectively bad, and I don't understand why so many Canadians try to bicker with people when they dare to admit the harsh truth about it all. It's freaking bizarre!
I'm not a fan of winter but I wonder how many Canadians actually feel winter as a huge burden in this day and age when it is easily remedied with a holiday to someplace warmer? Travel isn't as unusual as it used to be.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:07 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,268,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I'm not a fan of winter but I wonder how many Canadians actually feel winter as a huge burden in this day and age when it is easily remedied with a holiday to someplace warmer? Travel isn't as unusual as it used to be.
Not my fave season either. However, I don't mind december, Christmas and snow go together,
january is ok too, february and sometimes march can be a bit much, over all I don't
mind, it is a chance to do other things. No mowing the lawn, digging weeds, battling critters, etc.

Some posters, usually from the US, will exaggerate that Canada has 5 or 6 months of winter,
maybe in the Yukon or NWT. I live in southern Ontario, winter is 3 to 4 months at most.
November is a late fall month here with an average high of 8C and average low 1C.
By mid to late march there are some signs of spring, even in colder years at least the march sun
feels stronger and daylight is noticeably longer.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:19 PM

1,147 posts, read 717,818 times
This is my translation of Canadian mentality: "If we're performing better than the United States, we should be satisfied".

I like Canada and Canadians, but I think their country would improve more if they tried to compete against Australia or Norway instead.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:16 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,774,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
I agree, me too but maybe that is too extreme for some...however the point is that everybody can appreciate few days of snow and cold for a variation.....an entire long winter of it definitely not....
I have lived in all climates from frigid winters in Windermere BC, rainy in Pacific Northwest, to tropical in
Florida and Mexico, temperate in California, and desert in Arizona. I don't care about the seasons. I want warm and sunny everyday. I have lived in warm climates for the last 47 years.

Southern California is the best with low humidity and warm sunny days. You can have moderate temperatures close to the coast to hot in the inland valleys and desert. We prefer hot and sunny which is a major factor, though not the only one, in why we live where we do.

I also lived for 2 years in Caracas Venezuela which is as close to ideal weather of anywhere I have lived.

I realize that there are people that like the 4 seasons, rainy weather etc. and that is their prerogative. I respect their opinion but don't understand it.

Old 08-02-2017, 11:22 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,298,594 times
Quote:
I have lived in all climates from frigid winters in Windermere BC, rainy in Pacific Northwest, to tropical in
Florida and Mexico, temperate in California, and desert in Arizona. I don't care about the seasons. I want warm and sunny everyday. I have lived in warm climates for the last 47 years.

Southern California is the best with low humidity and warm sunny days. You can have moderate temperatures close to the coast to hot in the inland valleys and desert. We prefer hot and sunny which is a major factor, though not the only one, in why we live where we do.

I also lived for 2 years in Caracas Venezuela which is as close to ideal weather of anywhere I have lived.

I realize that there are people that like the 4 seasons, rainy weather etc. and that is their prerogative. I respect their opinion but don't understand it.

Another aspect that some people that live in very cold climates do not understand is that places that do not have snow in winter does not mean that they do not experience 4 seasons with changes in temperature, vegetation color, wildlife, etc....

Autumn in Rome,. a sunny city that basically never see a drop of snow and where the temperature always stays above freezing in winter....4 seasons indeed...I would actually argue that many of the more temperate places sees more of the 4 seasons turnover than a lot of colder ones.

Fall in Charleston and surroundings...

Fall in San Francisco...

Last edited by saturno_v; 08-02-2017 at 11:37 PM..

Old 08-03-2017, 03:43 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,268,346 times
Quote:

I appreciate you've lived in all these climates and prefer the milder ones. Remember that's you,
not speaking for everyone on the planet. Maybe the majority of people in the world have an opinion
similar to you, don't know. Myself, I have a different opinion, probably crazy to you maybe but I like a colder
4 season climate, southern Ontario does it for me, I'd miss not having a bigger change of seasons
if I lived in SoCal. Even within the USA there are people who have a similar climate preference to me.
If everyone in the US only likes warm all year, if that was the case no one would like in the northern states,
the reality is, millions of american live in colder 4 seasons climates that are not too different to climates in
southern Canada.

Old 08-03-2017, 04:29 AM

295 posts, read 263,873 times
I was born in a cold city (St Petersburg, Russia) so I was used to these "4 seasons", a lot of snow, cross country skiing. But when I was 17 I moved to a subtropical country. For first couple of years I was missing winter and snow, but then I forgot about it. After living more than 20 years in tropics / subtropics I moved to Toronto and I don't like the winters. They are long, cold and kill social life outside.

Once you live in a warm climate there is no way back.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:14 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,718,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
Excepting only Vancouver Island and the Lower Mainland, Canada's climate does suck for the most part, and it's those horrible winters that handicap it.
Yes.

Even Vancouver's weather is hardly good. Does anyone in the US think Seattle has great weather? It will be hard to find one. Vancouver is often considered to have good weather only in the context of Canada, which is horrible overall.

Some people are ridiculou to say the weather is not so bad because 35M people live here. Where is the logic? Can Canadians move wherever they want to? People live in war-torn countries too, does that mean they don't mind the suffering?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada