Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2017, 03:02 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,611,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
My only issue with both camps (Anti and Pro Canada) is that both sides seem almost excited to sling the mud re: each others country, especially when it comes to speaking about social issues and the less fortunate.

Speaking about issues openly is productive, but getting a borderline online erection over people living in poor conditions is not. How about some constructive conversation about what each country does well and how it can be adopted on the other side? You know, like how adults speak to each other, not snotty children in a sandbox.

Also the suggestion that someone would be envious over someone being "settled" is strange to me. Some people love living their lives unsettled so to speak. Moving around and experiencing different places first hand as a resident can be rewarding. As equally if not more rewarding than being settled in one place.

So I think that while I dont care for some of the anti camps posts, they do have some valuable opinions to share based on seeing the world from a different set of eyes than someone who has lived in Canada their entire lives.

But yeah, it could be done in a little more constructive and civil way and without the hyperbole and outright false statements just to make a point. On that I agree.
Conversations about countries difference are always going to include social issues and the less fortunate IF you are going to bring in politics, economies, housing, wages etc. It is unavoidable.

Not sure why you think talking about poverty etc is somehow related to being excited about it. That discussing it must be forbidden unless in??? what context?

Settled, in this context means happy. Content might have been a better word. Lots of people move around and are perfectly happy. Lots of people don't and aren't.

On this forum there are some who are not content, but just happen to be also moving about country to country, city to city, job to job. Even as a kid I knew that being content comes from within.

Outsiders views can be valuable, if they are informed.

Old 08-02-2017, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Well, I see we're right back where we left off.

Canada's climate sucks and it's tough to hook up in Toronto.

Cripes!
Yup. Cold climate, cold people. LOL

Old 08-02-2017, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
Objectively, the weather in most of Canada isn't thought to be great because of the terrible winters. It isn't just me, man. Get a grip.
Nah. Four seasons is quite wonderful for most people. Sure a really harsh winter now and then might not be for everyone, but friends in Phoenix this summer wanted to die.

Old 08-02-2017, 03:35 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,301,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Obviously there are many ambitious talented Canadian scientist. engineers and entrepreneurs and USA did a good job swallowing many of them up in the past....no need to mention the famous Avro Arrow saga....
Avro was a terrible brain drain from Canada, but the US space program was a huge beneficiary. The saddest end to the Arrow was that they were cut up for scrap and the plans destroyed.

Old 08-02-2017, 03:38 PM

3,878 posts, read 5,307,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Conversations about countries difference are always going to include social issues and the less fortunate IF you are going to bring in politics, economies, housing, wages etc. It is unavoidable.

Not sure why you think talking about poverty etc is somehow related to being excited about it. That discussing it must be forbidden unless in??? what context?
Not forbidden at all. As I said, speaking about issues is productive. Saying "your country does this shi*tier than my country" is not. How about mixing in some constructive criticism every once in a while? Like for example, if you view Americas healthcare system as inferior, what Canadian policies would work in an American context and help it improve? Or one the other side if you view Canada's wait times to be significantly higher, then what US policies could be adopted to improve it?

Yeah I know, its alot to ask.

Quote:
Settled, in this context means happy. Content might have been a better word. Lots of people move around and are perfectly happy. Lots of people don't and aren't.

On this forum there are some who are not content, but just happen to be also moving about country to country, city to city, job to job. Even as a kid I knew that being content comes from within.
I'm with that.

Quote:
Outsiders views can be valuable, if they are informed.
I agree. Nothing beats first hand knowledge, which comes from actually living somewhere. I assume many in the Anti Canada and anti US camp have. So hey while I may not agree with them 100%, they have something to share. It sure beats listening to someone who has never lived somewhere.

Old 08-02-2017, 03:39 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,529,941 times
Quote:
Nah. Four seasons is quite wonderful for most people. Sure a really harsh winter now and then might not be for everyone, but friends in Phoenix this summer wanted to die.
Some significant parts of Canada have three seasons at best -- summer, autumn, and winter -- while other significant parts of it have only two, really -- summer and winter. Outside of the warmer parts of British Columbia, the winter in all parts of Canada is five-to-six months long. And it's a real winter, with all of the ice, the snow, and the freezing temperatures that go along with it. That kind of winter is objectively bad, and I don't understand why so many Canadians try to bicker with people when they dare to admit the harsh truth about it all. It's freaking bizarre!

Last edited by maclock; 08-02-2017 at 04:46 PM.. Reason: Ooops! Missed a word there.

Old 08-02-2017, 03:46 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,319,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
Some significant parts of Canada have three seasons at best -- summer, autumn, and winter -- while other significant parts of it have only two, really -- summer and winter. Outside of the warmer parts of British Columbia, the winter in all parts of Canada is five-to-six months long. And it's a real winter, with all of the ice, the snow, and the freezing temperatures that go along with it. That kind of winter is objectively bad, and I don't understand why so many Canadians try to bicker with people when dare to admit the harsh truth about it all. It's freaking bizarre!

...usually the reply to someone that dares to say that weather is not one of Canada great assets is : "....but in Phoenix....." like everybody else lives in Phoenix....

Old 08-02-2017, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Half of the US population lives in just 9 states, 6 of them in the Northeast where the weather is similar to where the majority of Canadians live. This still doesn't include the US midwest where winter is brutal.

Winters along the east coast of the US are much more bearable than Ontario and Quebec....comparing winters in New York to Toronto is ludicrous.

I do not have direct experience but I heard from quite few sources with experience (one of them is Botti) that even Chicago is not as brutal as Toronto.

Minnesota, Wisconsin, all the way to Montana are brutal indeed in winter.

Old 08-02-2017, 04:14 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,294,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Winters along the east coast of the US are much more bearable than Ontario and Quebec....comparing winters in New York to Toronto is ludicrous.

I do not have direct experience but I heard from quite few sources with experience (one of them is Botti) that even Chicago is not as brutal as Toronto.

Minnesota, Wisconsin, all the way to Montana are brutal indeed in winter.
Chicago not as brutal as Toronto is a stretch....look at the stats.
There is more of a difference in temps in summer between Chicago and Toronto than in winter.

NYC winters being so amazing is news to me.
Everyone is just wearing bermuda shorts and flipflops in winter over in New York City
Cancel my january flight to Miami, I'm going to NYC to instead

Old 08-02-2017, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post

NYC winters being so amazing is news to me.
Everyone is just wearing bermuda shorts and flipflops in winter over in New York City
Cancel my january flight to Miami, I'm going to NYC to instead

...again, that is not the point.....I do not wear bermuda in winter in Seattle but is not up for debate that we have milder winters than Toronto...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada