Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2014, 12:07 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Whether you have done it is one thing, and whether it is generally considered safe is another. You might be 6'2'' and weight 220 pounds. We don't know. But if you had a 20 year old daughter, would you let her walk alone (or with her girlfriend) at 12 am in downtown Chicago/LA/San Fran? (don't parry the question by saying "you don't do that in any city". It is untrue.)

Admittedly NYC, LA and Chicago all got a lot safer in the past 10 years, but is it really safe to walk at night in many parts of those cities? Of course Bel Air and Lincoln Park are safe, but I am talking about denser, non-all white suburban areas. Try south Chicago or South/downtown LA?

Jane/Finch or Moss Park or DTES Vancouver are completely harmless compared with sketchy areas of those cities.

Clueless? Trust me, I don't have the reputation of raving about Canada all the time.

I don't think Canadian cities are particularly safe, especially when comparing with Western Europe and East Asian cities. It is just American cities are such big outliers among rich countries when it comes to this kind of things which make Canada appear strikingly safe.
Why would she go to Downtown LA at midnight? isn't all the nightlife and fun in Hollywood?

And yes parts of these cities are pretty sketchy.

The downtown's are usually not those parts.

Old 10-15-2014, 08:53 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,525,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post
I don't know dude, I've spent many nights partying in the streets of NYC, Boston, Chicago, DC, Toronto, Atlanta etc. till late at night and see nothing but groups of people bar hopping, going to restaurants and shows without any fear of getting shot. I think there are rough patches in any city and of course US ghettos are much rougher but people don't frequent these areas when they go out and gangbangers don't hang out in nicer areas. Generally speaking, nice districts with good restaurants, bars, theatres, etc. are all pretty safe from what I've seen if you have a shread of common sense. It is very rare that an innocent person is shot dead in these areas compared to say gang violence in the projects. I can't even think of an incident off the top of my head. In fact, the latest incident I can think of off the top of my head is the Eaton Center shooting in Toronto of all places a couple of years back.
^^^
This.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
You lived in Chicago? Don't know why you are being so naive about this.

I ended up in the south side after watching a White Sox game late at night. I guess I got lost. I don't live in Chicago.

Not everyone who lives in the South Side is a gang banger. Schools kids get shot in the middle of the day while walking home. Like I said, the crime has been very neatly isolated.
Yes, I lived in Chicago for a few years. Downtown Chicago, as a matter of fact. I know the city very well. I lived in a very nice neighbourhood. Somewhere that's as safe, if not safer, than the safest parts of downtown Toronto, Montreal, or Vancouver.

I've also visited some of the sketchiest, most bombed out parts of Chicago as well. Even in those areas, the risk can be managed to a certain extent by not circulating on the streets of the hood after 9:00 p.m. or so, parking right next to where you're going or not going there at all, refraining from engaging in illegal activities, etc. It isn't rocket science. Would you choose to live in these areas? Most of them, no, you wouldn't, but then again, you wouldn't want to anyway if you had any choice whatsoever. As for kids getting shot, yes, that has happened, and it's tragic, but it isn't your world and it wouldn't be if you lived there unless you fell flat on your face and you had no choice but to live in the meanest parts of Chiraq.

As the Sox play on the south side, in Bridgeport, I don't know why you'd be surprised that you were, you know, "in the South Side". And I'm well aware that not everyone on the south side is a gangbanger. Back to you, teach.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:23 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times
Quote:
I don't know dude, I've spent many nights partying in the streets of NYC, Boston, Chicago, DC, Toronto, Atlanta etc. till late at night and see nothing but groups of people bar hopping, going to restaurants and shows without any fear of getting shot. I think there are rough patches in any city and of course US ghettos are much rougher but people don't frequent these areas when they go out and gangbangers don't hang out in nicer areas. Generally speaking, nice districts with good restaurants, bars, theatres, etc. are all pretty safe from what I've seen if you have a shread of common sense. It is very rare that an innocent person is shot dead in these areas compared to say gang violence in the projects. I can't even think of an incident off the top of my head. In fact, the latest incident I can think of off the top of my head is the Eaton Center shooting in Toronto of all places a couple of years back.
I don't doubt that. Areas with tons of people and entertainment are almost always safe spots. Criminals don't usually choose a crowded place to mug/rape or whatever to that a thousand people can see. But that's not the point here.

What I was comparing was a regular non-busy street in a central area (for example, Jarvis st, or Beverly St in Toronto). For example, will one feel as safe to be walking at Los Angeles st/9th in LA as Jarvis/Carlton?

I get the fact most violent crimes in American cities are highly localized and gang related, and don't really affect average people on a daily basis. However, it would be a big stretch to say cities like Los Angeles and Chicago and DC are as safe as Toronto and Montreal even if one never goes to areas known to have bang violence.

Incidents like this do happen way more frequently than they should in the US

USC International Students Call for Action After Chinese Student's Death - WSJ

I don't want to appear like a racist, but I don't buy this political correctness BS and believe this has a lot to do with ethnical composition of Canadian vs. American cities. Safest American cities (like Seattle) almost always have low black/Hispanic population.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:40 AM

When it comes to murder, Chicago is two cities

Old 10-16-2014, 07:44 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
I don't want to appear like a racist, but I don't buy this political correctness BS and believe this has a lot to do with ethnical composition of Canadian vs. American cities. Safest American cities (like Seattle) almost always have low black/Hispanic population.
If indeed that is the case it's nonetheless because so many members of these groups occupy the lower socio-economic rungs of a highly-competitive dog-eat-dog society. Historically much was done to keep these groups down there at the bottom, although things have improved a lot in recent decades. Of course there is also a self-responsibilization that is taking hold in these communities themselves, one that has to continue to grow and get stronger.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:12 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,599,838 times
Quote:
I don't doubt that. Areas with tons of people and entertainment are almost always safe spots. Criminals don't usually choose a crowded place to mug/rape or whatever to that a thousand people can see. But that's not the point here.

What I was comparing was a regular non-busy street in a central area (for example, Jarvis st, or Beverly St in Toronto). For example, will one feel as safe to be walking at Los Angeles st/9th in LA as Jarvis/Carlton?

I get the fact most violent crimes in American cities are highly localized and gang related, and don't really affect average people on a daily basis. However, it would be a big stretch to say cities like Los Angeles and Chicago and DC are as safe as Toronto and Montreal even if one never goes to areas known to have bang violence.

Incidents like this do happen way more frequently than they should in the US

USC International Students Call for Action After Chinese Student's Death - WSJ

I hear you, I just never head of anyone in my life who was killed by a gangbanger. Stay out of bad areas (which everyone does) and you have a 99.9% chance of being safe. But I understand that there is more crime in the US in general so you have to be more cautious overall no matter where you are, especially off the track.

As for USC, as you know, it is a pristine university located in a rough area of LA. I decided to google York University safety issues in Toronto which is located near Jane & Finch. It sounds they've had a long history of sexual assaults, even a shooting on campus (see below), and beating death of a student from China too. I didn't go to school there and don't know all the details but it sounds like student safety is a concern there too.

How safe do York students feel after recent campus shootings? | Toronto Star

Old 10-16-2014, 09:18 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times
Quote:
I hear you, I just never head of anyone in my life who was killed by a gangbanger. Stay out of bad areas (which everyone does) and you have a 99.9% chance of being safe. But I understand that there is more crime in the US in general so you have to be more cautious overall no matter where you are, especially off the track.

As for USC, as you know, it is a pristine university located in a rough area of LA. I decided to google York University safety issues in Toronto which is located near Jane & Finch. It sounds they've had a long history of sexual assaults, even a shooting on campus (see below), and beating death of a student from China too. I didn't go to school there and don't know all the details but it sounds like student safety is a concern there too.

How safe do York students feel after recent campus shootings? | Toronto Star
Maybe am I am a bit biased as I went to USC and have seen/heard too many tragedies. I even attended one of the memorial services of someone I knew who was killed near DTLA.

Additionally York U is located one of worst area in Toronto; on the other hand, USC campus and its surrounding area is not exactly the most dangerous spot in LA. Southern LA is far worse I think (Inglewood, Compton etc). Even the wealthy Santa Monica made one of the most dangerous suburbs in the US.

http://www.laweekly.com/informer/201...gerous-suburbs

Admitted Toronto is not a crime free paradise, but one the of nicest things since moving here is that I never feel the need to be concerned about my personal safety when going outside at night, even in the small dark side streets where you don't see other pedestrians. Something I can't say about LA/Chicago/San Fran.

Old 10-16-2014, 10:06 AM

1,706 posts, read 2,437,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post

As the Sox play on the south side, in Bridgeport, I don't know why you'd be surprised that you were, you know, "in the South Side". And I'm well aware that not everyone on the south side is a gangbanger. Back to you, teach.
Well, you were asking me what a normal person would do in the south side late at night. I just gave you an example - Sox Game.

Old 10-16-2014, 10:22 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,599,838 times
Quote:
Maybe am I am a bit biased as I went to USC and have seen/heard too many tragedies. I even attended one of the memorial services of someone I knew who was killed near DTLA.

Additionally York U is located one of worst area in Toronto; on the other hand, USC campus and its surrounding area is not exactly the most dangerous spot in LA. Southern LA is far worse I think (Inglewood, Compton etc). Even the wealthy Santa Monica made one of the most dangerous suburbs in the US.

http://www.laweekly.com/informer/201...gerous-suburbs

Admitted Toronto is not a crime free paradise, but one the of nicest things since moving here is that I never feel the need to be concerned about my personal safety when going outside at night, even in the small dark side streets where you don't see other pedestrians. Something I can't say about LA/Chicago/San Fran.
A USC grad in Toronto. How did you make that move? Were there no opportunities in your field down there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada