Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 10:20 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,032,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
As far as the west is concerned, as far as a centralised government is concerned, without Quebec, and without the federal government at various times, taking away business from other provinces in part to placate Quebec, why exactly would the west decide to continue take their marching orders from Ottawa? .
Assuming this were true (in a problematic disproportionate way), wouldn't it be over if Quebec separated?

Old 12-29-2014, 10:22 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post

And the idea put forth in that thread as though this would be a civil kind of divorce in which we'd all be friends and the rest of the country would just go on and Quebecers would have some kind of special privileges with the rest of Canada.
I don't know what kind of special privileges for an independent Quebec anyone in the rest of Canada has talked about, including anyone in Ontario.

Old 12-29-2014, 10:41 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiangirll View Post
Being totally honest these are the things that I think separate "us" from "them:

- A persons race is virtually irrelevant in Canada.
- less "severe" divide between rich and poor. A persons class isn't a big deal.
- We are growing increasingly apathetic to religion. South of the border it's another story. In Canada religion has nearly zero influence in politics like the U.K.
- A persons sexual orientation is no ones concern or business.
Quote:
In our current society if the black population exploded I don't think anyone would care. Black people do not make us uncomfortable.

Segregation between the poor in wealthy in Canada is not extreme as you would imagine. In Canada there are no "gated communities".

Regardless, religion is much less relevant in Canada than the U.S.

In Canada there is no "coming out" culture for gay people as they don't have to hide it. Being gay is completely socially acceptable.
These pointless over generalizations you are making are not going to accomplish anything but going to cause more drama around here just to let you know.

You people seriously think everyone in both countries functions the same?

"no coming out culture" lol what does that even mean?

These constant comparisons are pointless, just the same crap over and over again.
honestly you can't even compare a country like Canada to the United States, sorry.. we need more Canada vs Australia threads...

Old 12-29-2014, 10:46 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,326,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I don't know how one can say this with so much certainty.
GAH! Acajack! Don't drag me into this more than I am. And to think it started with a joke! GAH!

Quote:
Assuming this were true (in a problematic disproportionate way), wouldn't it be over if Quebec separated?
Then everything would have to be renegotiated. Otherwise the power lies with Ottawa. Where is the majority of the population? The west's issue has long been that elections were decided long before the west got to vote. Alberta wouldn't stand for that without Quebec. There is a perceived difference in the west between it and the east. The only chance for the west to be "itself", would be without Ontario and the rest of the east. If Quebec can separate, so can anyone else (would be the argument) and Alberta wouldn't be happy with anything less than something resembling equal power. Where exactly BC would stand with all of this, I don't know. BC is an odd mixture of the west and something else.

Quote:
I don't know what kind of special privileges for an independent Quebec anyone in the rest of Canada has talked about, including anyone in Ontario.
Not from the ROC. There was some talk, as I recall, in that thread, about Quebecers having special border crossing (with the rest of Canada) privileges. I would have to go through the whole thread the find them which I don't want to do.

Now, GAH again, Acajack.

Old 12-29-2014, 10:52 PM

274 posts, read 298,015 times
Quote:
Being totally honest these are the things that I think separate "us" from "them:

- A persons race is virtually irrelevant in Canada.
- less "severe" divide between rich and poor. A persons class isn't a big deal.
- We are growing increasingly apathetic to religion. South of the border it's another story. In Canada religion has nearly zero influence in politics like the U.K.
- A persons sexual orientation is no ones concern or business.
With all due respect, have you spent any real time in the US?

Don't let CNN confuse you, moslt Americans really don't care about race. CNN just likes to fan the flames on isolated incidents. Severe divide between rich and poor? Many Americans are middle class. That's between the two classes. Those that are "poor" here own jordans, iphones and get their hair done every week. Those people aint starving, let me tell you. Nobody, and I repeat NOBODY I know cares what religions anyone else is. I grew up with Catholics and Jews and rarely did it come up. Even today, I am protestant and most of my friends are Catholics and nobody gives a hoot. In reality, when someone brings up God in a conversation, there are quite a few of eyerolls in the room. Lastly, despite what some may think, Americans couldn't care less if a person is gay or not. Will said gay person be invited to your weekend BBQ? Maybe not, but nobody is openly hostile towards them, nor does anyone really think too long about their sexual orientation.

Just facts here.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:06 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Yeah some people confuse news broadcast thinking they are documentaries of everyday life in so and so country.

Really shows how powerful some of these big news stations are, straight up brainwashing people..

Old 12-29-2014, 11:11 PM

52 posts, read 62,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xTiberiusx View Post
With all due respect, have you spent any real time in the US?

Don't let CNN confuse you, moslt Americans really don't care about race. CNN just likes to fan the flames on isolated incidents. Severe divide between rich and poor? Many Americans are middle class. That's between the two classes. Those that are "poor" here own jordans, iphones and get their hair done every week. Those people aint starving, let me tell you. Nobody, and I repeat NOBODY I know cares what religions anyone else is. I grew up with Catholics and Jews and rarely did it come up. Even today, I am protestant and most of my friends are Catholics and nobody gives a hoot. In reality, when someone brings up God in a conversation, there are quite a few of eyerolls in the room. Lastly, despite what some may think, Americans couldn't care less if a person is gay or not. Will said gay person be invited to your weekend BBQ? Maybe not, but nobody is openly hostile towards them, nor does anyone really think too long about their sexual orientation.

Just facts here.
I don't watch CNN and I don't get my information from news outlets. I have no idea the actual racial situation in America however I do know at one time race was very much an issue. In Canada it never really was a big deal (apart from Nova Scotia who had some type of segregation imposed)

Old 12-29-2014, 11:14 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,428,441 times
Wait....so......you're just making guesses about America, and basing it on the 1960's?

Old 12-29-2014, 11:14 PM

52 posts, read 62,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Yeah some people confuse news broadcast thinking they are documentaries of everyday life in so and so country.

Really shows how powerful some of these big news stations are, straight up brainwashing people..
You'd be surprised how few of your Americans news stations actually broadcast in Canada. And no this isn't where I'm getting my information. I said I have really no proper idea about the *actual* racial situation in America.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:23 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,559,203 times
Quote:
I don't watch CNN and I don't get my information from news outlets. I have no idea the actual racial situation in America however I do know at one time race was very much an issue. In Canada it never really was a big deal (apart from Nova Scotia who had some type of segregation imposed)
How typical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Wait....so......you're just making guesses about America, and basing it on the 1960's?
Does that really surprise you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada