Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Canada better without Quebec?
Yes, Canada is better off without Quebec 55 41.67%
No, Canada is better off with Quebec 77 58.33%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 07:14 AM

692 posts, read 957,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernrebel View Post
I doubt America wants another Mississippi, but with 10x the demands and political volatility. Quebec is the poorest industrialized region of North America, and doesn't exactly bring much to the table. I think a lot of policies Quebec has are also illegal in the States so this would cause even more problems.
ummmm...Quebec's GDP per capita is roughly equal to Hawaii's and is greater than 30 of the 50 states in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 08:00 AM

1,523 posts, read 2,865,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexdiamondz1902 View Post
ummmm...Quebec's GDP per capita is roughly equal to Hawaii's and is greater than 30 of the 50 states in the US.
GDP (PPP) per capita in Mississippi is 25,044. In Quebec it is $26,376. Quebec's GDP (PPP) per capita is lower than every American state except for Mississippi, and lower than every Canadian provinces except for New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and PEI. The GDP (PPP) per capita of several states and Alberta isn't just higher than Quebec, it is about double that of Quebec. Quebec isn't even in the top quintile of OECD regions, while just about every American state and more than half of Canada's provinces are in it.

OECD Regional Disparities Spreadsheets

List of OECD Regions by GDP (PPP) Per Capita

Old 01-24-2015, 08:08 AM

428 posts, read 451,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexdiamondz1902 View Post
Epic fail.

Quebec nationalists will make themselves believe anything, as long as it makes Quebec look good. The economy in Quebec is in shambles and continually getting worse and worse. It's only a matter of time before New Brunswick overtakes us.

Old 01-24-2015, 08:21 AM

242 posts, read 242,575 times
My answer: Vive le Quebec libre!!

Old 01-24-2015, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad81 View Post
I think it is better for both parties. When your friend is in a relationship that's full of challenge, complain and mistrust, you wouldn't tell him/her "yeah but s/he is really cultured, don't break up. Breaking up will impact your reputation negatively".

Canada's demographics has changed a lot since 1995. Millions of new people poured into this new land. I believe majority of them don't have the mindset of " we are one big family". People are more mobile, opportunistic and materialistic. I believe there is a huge population out there who can convinced seperation is a better deal.

If there is a new referendum, my vote would be yes for seperation. I would sell my house at a loss and rieturn back to Canada. And i would wish the best of political and business relationships between two countries. I thinkit is best for Canada and Quebec. And i would visit back this beautiful land as a tourist..

In my opinion, a Quebec that has its own army and country is a better place than provincial Quebec.
A smart fellow here.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:54 AM

2,973 posts, read 1,975,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjour185 View Post
A smart fellow here.
How about it becoming the 51st state?

Old 01-24-2015, 01:03 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
GDP (PPP) per capita in Mississippi is 25,044. In Quebec it is $26,376. Quebec's GDP (PPP) per capita is lower than every American state except for Mississippi, and lower than every Canadian provinces except for New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and PEI. The GDP (PPP) per capita of several states and Alberta isn't just higher than Quebec, it is about double that of Quebec. Quebec isn't even in the top quintile of OECD regions, while just about every American state and more than half of Canada's provinces are in it.

OECD Regional Disparities Spreadsheets

List of OECD Regions by GDP (PPP) Per Capita
Not a huge fan of per capita to be honest (its a valid measure but just one).. It doesn't for instance account for inequality.. It just takes all the wealth in a place and distributes it evenly for comparative purposes.. We all know in real life that doesn't happen.. I think that is why even in Quebec the Q.O.L for the average person or family is better than many U.S states and that is certainly in part because per capita doesn't take into account skewing of wealth or other benefits for real families.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalk View Post
How about it becoming the 51st state?
This is not even a remote chance. How about Quebec becomes independant and Canada becomes the 51st state? Now that makes so much more sense.

Old 01-25-2015, 09:53 AM

869 posts, read 1,125,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjour185 View Post
How about Quebec becomes independant and Canada becomes the 51st state? Now that makes so much more sense.

if that ever happens you better pray we dont hold a grudge or else we could stifle your economy and send you back to those fur-trapping days

of course you could always merge with St-Pierre and Miquelon to even things out

Old 01-25-2015, 06:59 PM

428 posts, read 451,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsereed View Post
if that ever happens you better pray we dont hold a grudge or else we could stifle your economy and send you back to those fur-trapping days

of course you could always merge with St-Pierre and Miquelon to even things out
Why exactly would the US hold a grudge against Quebec? Makes no sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada