Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2015, 05:59 PM

542 posts, read 503,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migratory Chicken View Post
I've never said that I wanted an independent Quebec at the expense of "a united Canada with a strong, equal, French Quebec" as you put it, so here you're putting words in my mouth.
You said you would vote for independence....

Quote:
I'd actually vote Yes if there were a referendum tomorrow.
And is not true that you would be swayed not to vote for independence if Quebec manages to get something better from Canada. Is this not the case? Then you aren't saying anything different from me.

//www.city-data.com/forum/canad...l#post38578992
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 06:32 PM

261 posts, read 275,875 times
I would vote for independence if there were a referendum tomorrow, but if this was to happen we'd live in a different world than the one we live in. In the real world Quebecers do not want independence, not at the moment anyway, so we need to work in the confines of the Canadian federation.

Also there's a difference between building a better partnership for all Canadians and Quebec managing to extract more stuff from Canada. That's why your posts are borderline trolling, and I'm sure you're aware of it. You always put it in mercenary terms, and it sounds like you're only talking about getting more money. It pushes all of the buttons Canadians have about Quebec. Quebecers don't want to be bought off, they'd like to find a compromise position for a Canada that'd satisfy all parties. If you're a federalist then you should know this.

Old 03-14-2015, 06:44 PM

428 posts, read 451,083 times
Quote:
I would vote for independence if there were a referendum tomorrow, but if this was to happen we'd live in a different world than the one we live in. In the real world Quebecers do not want independence, not at the moment anyway, so we need to work in the confines of the Canadian federation.

Also there's a difference between building a better partnership for all Canadians and Quebec managing to extract more stuff from Canada. That's why your posts are borderline trolling, and I'm sure you're aware of it. You always put it in mercenary terms, and it sounds like you're only talking about getting more money. It pushes all of the buttons Canadians have about Quebec. Quebecers don't want to be bought off, they'd like to find a compromise position for a Canada that'd satisfy all parties. If you're a federalist then you should know this.
PBeauchamp sounds exactly like Acajack, but just not as eloquent. I don't see PBeauchamp saying anything much different than you either. It's basically this:

Give Quebec more recognition

Give Quebec more power over language

Give Quebec more control over immigration

and if Canada doesn't comply, then we'll have no choice but to separate.

Sorry, but in the English-speaking world that is almost the definition of making demands. Whether you say it more politely (like you and Acajack) or more bluntly (like PBeauchamp), it doesn't matter because the effect is the same.This is why trying to distinguish yourself from PBeachamp is just splitting hairs. The essence of what you guys are saying is the same, and it is incredibly different from anything espoused by people in other provinces.

Old 03-15-2015, 04:54 AM

261 posts, read 275,875 times
It's only similar if you're determined to show that all francophone Quebecers are this cancer eating Canada from the inside, no matter what they're actually saying.

Old 03-15-2015, 05:44 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Sincere question here, not trying to start a fight(and really reluctant to take part in this thread) but what does that mean exactly? That Canadians who are just off the boat, or those who don't have French or English as their first language are less real Canadians? Is that how they/me are perceived?
I don't think I was saying this at all in my post.

But surely you can understand how many people in other countries might see things this way?

That was my point...

Old 03-15-2015, 11:32 AM

156 posts, read 200,435 times
Quote:
It's only similar if you're determined to show that all francophone Quebecers are this cancer eating Canada from the inside, no matter what they're actually saying.
How else would you describe it?

Old 03-15-2015, 12:59 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernrebel View Post
PBeauchamp sounds exactly like Acajack, but just not as eloquent. I don't see PBeauchamp saying anything much different than you either. It's basically this:

Give Quebec more recognition

Give Quebec more power over language

Give Quebec more control over immigration

and if Canada doesn't comply, then we'll have no choice but to separate.

Sorry, but in the English-speaking world that is almost the definition of making demands. Whether you say it more politely (like you and Acajack) or more bluntly (like PBeauchamp), it doesn't matter because the effect is the same.This is why trying to distinguish yourself from PBeachamp is just splitting hairs. The essence of what you guys are saying is the same, and it is incredibly different from anything espoused by people in other provinces.
Many reps for this are probably already in the mail.

Old 03-19-2015, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
That is a gross oversimplication. How does Quebec take anything from Canada that is outside of the rules? We aren't doing anything that Canada won't agree to.

Old 03-27-2015, 11:56 AM

183 posts, read 218,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
You know we don't all have "demands". I only want to see Québec become independent. I have no demands to make other than people go vote as they choose.

Old 03-28-2015, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViveLeQuebecLibre View Post
You know we don't all have "demands". I only want to see Québec become independent. I have no demands to make other than people go vote as they choose.
Quebec will not become independent. There is too much to be gained by staying as a part of Canada. Don't you see this? Help me understand why you would throw this all away just for schoolyard nationalism?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada