Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 09:28 PM

3,631 posts, read 3,425,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I never understood why most people from Nova Scotia, Ontario and Alberta would have in common a basic knowledge of, I dunno, "I'm Proud to be an Okie from Muskogee" but not a whole bunch of (Anglo-)Canadian stuff instead.
I'm not sure if "Okie from Muskogee" is a good example. Perhaps better ones would be "New York New York" by Frank Sinatra, or "I left My Heart in San Francisco" by Tony Bennett. Regardless, your point as regards regionalism in music is valid and your question is good. Why do pretty much all Canadians know about "the city that never sleeps" and "little cable cars that climb halfway to the stars"; while very few know anything about the Mary Ellen Carter, or why nineteen scarlet roses were scattered in the waters of Burrard Inlet.

Some regionalisms do make it across Canada--the Guess Who did hit with "Runnin' Back to Saskatoon"; and Neil Young mused, "Think I'll go out to Alberta, weather's good there in the fall" in "Four Strong Winds." Similarly, other Canadianisms make it also: the Barenaked Ladies sang, "This is me in grade nine" instead of "This is me in freshman year."

Still, a very good question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 09:32 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,543,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
I'm not sure if "Okie from Muskogee" is a good example. Perhaps better ones would be "New York New York" by Frank Sinatra, or "I left My Heart in San Francisco" by Tony Bennett. Regardless, your point as regards regionalism in music is valid and your question is good. Why do pretty much all Canadians know about "the city that never sleeps" and "little cable cars that climb halfway to the stars"; while very few know anything about the Mary Ellen Carter, or why nineteen scarlet roses were scattered in the waters of Burrard Inlet.

Some regionalisms do make it across Canada--the Guess Who did hit with "Runnin' Back to Saskatoon"; and Neil Young mused, "Think I'll go out to Alberta, weather's good there in the fall" in "Four Strong Winds." Similarly, other Canadianisms make it also: the Barenaked Ladies sang, "This is me in grade nine" instead of "This is me in freshman year."

Well to be fair, every dude in the country knows exactly where and how crappy Fort McMurray is, a tiny city with 60K people.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:36 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,106,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Huh lol - what am I missing..?

See Nat's post 14.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:36 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,914,849 times
Quote:

I think there is a generational shift as well Chevy... Most younger Canadians know of Deadmau5, Drake and Kardinal Offisiall for example while fewer and fewer know about New York New York or I left my Heart in San Francisco. Even younger Americans probably are decreasingly aware of Sinatra or Tony Bennett.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:38 PM

Quote:
I think there is a generational shift as well Chevy... Most younger Canadians know of Deadmau5, Drake and Kardinal Offisiall for example while fewer and fewer know about New York New York or I left my Heart in San Francisco. Even younger Americans probably are decreasingly aware of Sinatra or Tony Bennett.
Although, a valid point would be that certain things never totally go away. New York New York IMO would be one of those songs. My kids know it for example, and they are not even anglos.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:39 PM

Quote:
See Nat's post 14.
hmmm - you might be surprised.. Well obviously now she wouldn't be standing at all but ya never know when she was around

#youaresomeanlol

Quote:

What's interesting (or ironic?) is that music is still probably the best performing sector of the Anglo Canadian arts and entertainment industry.

3,631 posts, read 3,425,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Why does it even matter? How does a cross-country celtic music fan legion make a country more legitimate?
It doesn't. But it's one thing to know that, say, Cape Breton Island has a Celtic music tradition; while I'd suggest that it is another thing entirely that somebody in the same country doesn't even know that it exists. You can use whatever genre you like, by the way.

Or, to put it another way, I'm pretty sure that urban hip-hoppers in NYC and Philadelphia know that Texas produces country music. They may not like country music; they may make fun of it even. But they know that it exists, and some of it comes from Texas. Conversely, my Albertan friends to whom I introduced Stan Rogers (and other, more traditional Cape Breton tunes and artists) had no idea that such music even existed, much less that it was produced on the other side of Canada.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:40 PM

Quote:
hmmm - you might be surprised.. Well obviously now she wouldn't be standing at all but ya never know when she was around

#youaresomeanlol
Spoken like a true fan!

Old 05-13-2015, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Although, a valid point would be that certain things never totally go away. New York New York IMO would be one of those songs. My kids know it for example, and they are not even anglos.
mmmmmmmmmaaaaybbeeee but not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada