Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 09:42 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Spoken like a true fan!
hey you started it don't pin this on me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 09:43 PM

3,624 posts, read 3,411,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I think there is a generational shift as well Chevy... Most younger Canadians know of Deadmau5, Drake and Kardinal Offisiall for example while fewer and fewer know about New York New York or I left my Heart in San Francisco. Even younger Americans probably are decreasingly aware of Sinatra or Tony Bennett.
Yeah, I'm showing my age, I guess. Anyway, I only know "Okie from Muskogee" from one of my music books--I've never heard it on the radio or TV, while I have heard Sinatra and Bennett on those sources.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Yeah, I'm showing my age, I guess. Anyway, I only know "Okie from Muskogee" from one of my music books--I've never heard it on the radio or TV, while I have heard Sinatra and Bennett on those sources.
Ah its ok Chevy but yeah there are sort of a newer generation of artists and for a growing segment they are increasingly becoming more relavent..

Hey what about Bobcaygeon and The Tragically Hip - has that been mentioned yet?

Old 05-13-2015, 09:52 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,536,326 times
Quote:
It doesn't. But it's one thing to know that, say, Cape Breton Island has a Celtic music tradition; while I'd suggest that it is another thing entirely that somebody in the same country doesn't even know that it exists. You can use whatever genre you like, by the way.

Or, to put it another way, I'm pretty sure that urban hip-hoppers in NYC and Philadelphia know that Texas produces country music. They may not like country music; they may make fun of it even. But they know that it exists, and some of it comes from Texas. Conversely, my Albertan friends to whom I introduced Stan Rogers (and other, more traditional Cape Breton tunes and artists) had no idea that such music even existed, much less that it was produced on the other side of Canada.
But you're talking older traditional folk (I assume) styles of music. This situation you outlined wouldn't be unique to just Canada, but any country really, even physically very small countries aren't going to be aware of little traditions hundreds to thousands of km away.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Ah its ok Chevy but yeah there are sort of a newer generation of artists and for a growing segment they are increasingly becoming more relavent.
Oh, definitely; somebody is always coming up that speaks to the new generation. In my day, Jane Siberry and B.B. Gabor replaced April Wine and BTO, who replaced Crowbar and Foot in Cold Water, and so on.

As an aside, I caught B.B. Gabor in a skeevy club on Jarvis Street in about 1981 or so. Great show, but the venue.... Let's just say that the janitor's mop bucket made for a handy urinal for some of the patrons.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:57 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,536,326 times
For example, I think I recall trying to see if my ex German girlfriend was aware of this band/song, because this group is/was German. Of course she didn't because it's obscure, but also just because she is from the same country of its origin, much smaller in physical size than Canada, doesn't mean she will instantly recognize it. It's the same thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooDqYln2oto

Old 05-13-2015, 09:59 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times
Do any of you consider this music to be of Canadian culture?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-1D27HeX50

Old 05-13-2015, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
But you're talking older traditional folk (I assume) styles of music. This situation you outlined wouldn't be unique to just Canada, but any country really, even physically very small countries aren't going to be aware of little traditions hundreds to thousands of km away.
I am, but you can substitute any genre of music you like.

Distance shouldn't matter; as I suggested, Americans in any part of the US know country from Texas, know Motown and Chicago R&B, know California surf music, and perhaps also know Louisiana zydeco. Those are broad categories, just as broad, I'd suggest, as "Cape Breton Traditional," "Newfie music" and "Alberta country."

Old 05-13-2015, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Oh, definitely; somebody is always coming up that speaks to the new generation. In my day, Jane Siberry and B.B. Gabor replaced April Wine and BTO, who replaced Crowbar and Foot in Cold Water, and so on.

As an aside, I caught B.B. Gabor in a skeevy club on Jarvis Street in about 1981 or so. Great show, but the venue.... Let's just say that the janitor's mop bucket made for a handy urinal for some of the patrons.
There are so many old school clubs/pubs/bars that have come and gone but I do miss not being able to see some of the old school stuff in that area when I was a kid.. Now Jarvis street is rampant with the ice queen phenomenon.. People seemed more real back then! There were challenges for sure but I dunno - society is just different nowadays.. Maybe i'm starting to show my age too

Anyway we are developing a growing global culture of morons... Have you seen this

Does Hydro One have the right to fire TFC fan Shawn Simoes? | Toronto Star

There are vast numbers of youtube compilations of idiots like these pulling this stuff off the world over..

Old 05-13-2015, 10:04 PM

156 posts, read 200,374 times
Hmmm....English language, the monarchy, and arctic weather. Other than that there isn't one. That's why we adopt stringent multiculturalism to fill the void of no culture. It's like admitting we have no culture so anyone's culture can be Canadian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada