Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 05:24 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times

Advertisements

Your logic looks good on paper Lex but expecting emergency dispatchers to be bilingual in Montreal is not an abnormal expectation given the large Anglo demographic living in Montreal,if we are talking the Quebec hinterland then sure if you are unilingual Anglo you are most likely going to be out of luck finding some one who is capable of speaking English.
Expecting some one out in the ROC to be fully bilingual on the off chance a unilingual francophone might happen along is an unrealistic expectation and doesnt really compare with Montreals linguistic demographics.
As for your usual claim that Quebec Anglophones dont speak or want to learn French is hogwash and makes me wonder if you actually know any Quebec Anglos,you yourself pointed out 70% of Quebec Anglos are bilingual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 05:53 AM

35,078 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
But I have never really understood the word 'pride' when it comes to nationality. I didn't ask to be born here, it was the luck of the draw, and considering the state many other states in the world are in, to be born in North America is a pretty lucky draw for most.
It is not only lucky. The people of the North American countries have labored to make the countries great. There has always been a higher tolerance for differences, and greater economic freedom.

While Europe, on paper, is highly tolerant it is only skin-deep. Much of Africa, Asia and South and Central America don't even try to argue that they are tolerant. Imagine what would happen if these boatloads of refugees turned up in Brazil, Ecuador or Venezuela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Your logic looks good on paper Lex but expecting emergency dispatchers to be bilingual in Montreal is not an abnormal expectation given the large Anglo demographic living in Montreal,if we are talking the Quebec hinterland then sure if you are unilingual Anglo you are most likely going to be out of luck finding some one who is capable of speaking English.

Expecting some one out in the ROC to be fully bilingual on the off chance a unilingual francophone might happen along is an unrealistic expectation and doesnt really compare with Montreals linguistic demographics.

As for your usual claim that Quebec Anglophones dont speak or want to learn French is hogwash and makes me wonder if you actually know any Quebec Anglos,you yourself pointed out 70% of Quebec Anglos are bilingual.
This post is bang on. I can't rep it since I've repped Jambo101 previously but I totally agree. And in theory the OLA, both as a separate document and as incorporated into the Charter agrees as well.
20. (1) Any member of the public in Canada has the right to communicate with, and to receive available services from, any head or central office of an institution of the Parliament or government of Canada in English or French, and has the same right with respect to any other office of any such institution where
(a) there is a significant demand for communications with and services from that office in such language; or
(b) due to the nature of the office, it is reasonable that communications with and services from that office be available in both English and French.
Of course those requirements have been enforced in the breach.

Last edited by jbgusa; 08-12-2015 at 06:20 AM..

Old 08-12-2015, 07:19 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
It is not only lucky. The people of the North American countries have labored to make the countries great. There has always been a higher tolerance for differences, and greater economic freedom.

While Europe, on paper, is highly tolerant it is only skin-deep. Much of Africa, Asia and South and Central America don't even try to argue that they are tolerant. Imagine what would happen if these boatloads of refugees turned up in Brazil, Ecuador or Venezuela?This post is bang on. I can't rep it since I've repped Jambo101 previously but I totally agree. And in theory the OLA, both as a separate document and as incorporated into the Charter agrees as well.
20. (1) Any member of the public in Canada has the right to communicate with, and to receive available services from, any head or central office of an institution of the Parliament or government of Canada in English or French, and has the same right with respect to any other office of any such institution where
(a) there is a significant demand for communications with and services from that office in such language; or
(b) due to the nature of the office, it is reasonable that communications with and services from that office be available in both English and French.
Of course those requirements have been enforced in the breach.
This applies only to federal services BTW. Most services Canadian citizens use on a regular basis are municipal or provincial, or paragovernmental.

Old 08-12-2015, 07:20 AM

Quote:
You don't have to go to Toronto to compare. Public services in Ottawa in French are extremely hit and miss and it has similar language demographics to Montreal in addition to being the capital of the country.

Old 08-12-2015, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
You don't have to go to Toronto to compare. Public services in Ottawa in French are extremely hit and miss and it has similar language demographics to Montreal in addition to being the capital of the country.
Difference is if a person outside Quebec is bilingual they will most likely be more than happy to converse or at least to attempt to converse in a bilingual manner,
In Quebec no provincial employee is required to speak English so many even though they can speak English wont speak English..Its the law eh!
Charter of the French language
Really?
Read a few examples
https://www.google.ca/#safe=active&q...speak+English.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Difference is if a person outside Quebec is bilingual they will most likely be more than happy to converse or at least to attempt to converse in a bilingual manner,
Interesting that you should make this statement with such authority!

Old 08-12-2015, 11:55 AM

Obviously i can only go by personal experience but I know a lot of people living in Ontario most of them are ex Quebecers they are all bilingual and their demeanor isnt such that they would refuse to speak French if some one needed them to do so.

Old 08-12-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Obviously i can only go by personal experience but I know a lot of people living in Ontario most of them are ex Quebecers they are all bilingual and their demeanor isnt such that they would refuse to speak French if some one needed them to do so.
Oddly enough all of the people I know here in Quebec are exactly the same: mostly bilingual (to varying degrees) and always eager to use their second language to help people!

Old 08-12-2015, 03:04 PM

Quote:
In Quebec no provincial employee is required to speak English so many even though they can speak English wont speak English..Its the law eh!
Charter of the French language
Really?
Read a few examples
https://www.google.ca/#safe=active&q...speak+English.
To add//
The people most reluctant to use their bilingualism from the constant stream of stories i read are not all Quebecers but the usual disgruntled bunch that view themselves as victims and they're gonna get revenge, These people are mandated by law not to have to speak English and they are bound and determined to use that law to its fullest extent whenever an Anglo has trouble with his French.
For the most part these people are represented by the Provincial government worker,hospital staff, transit workers, police personnel,city worker, and of course the separatist.. And maybe Lex

PS. The latest kerfuffle=

http://www.cjad.com/cjad-news/2015/0...-speak-english

As usual the comments section is an interesting read.

Last edited by jambo101; 08-12-2015 at 03:45 PM..

Old 08-12-2015, 05:47 PM

692 posts, read 957,702 times
Quote:
Your logic looks good on paper Lex but expecting emergency dispatchers to be bilingual in Montreal is not an abnormal expectation given the large Anglo demographic living in Montreal,if we are talking the Quebec hinterland then sure if you are unilingual Anglo you are most likely going to be out of luck finding some one who is capable of speaking English.Expecting some one out in the ROC to be fully bilingual on the off chance a unilingual francophone might happen along is an unrealistic expectation and doesnt really compare with Montreals linguistic demographics.
That's because francophones who travel outside of Quebec learn English. Also, this isn't entirely true as there are relatively large communities of Francophones in Ontario that still have spotty public services in French.

Quote:
If 70% of Anglos are functionally bilingual then why do they need services in English?

Lets do the maths. 13,2% of Montreal is Anglophone. If of those, 30% can't speak French, that means that in total you're demanding services for 3,96% of the Montreal population. Why bother spending money on such a small demographic?

There are as many Arabic speakers in Montreal as there are monolingual Anglos.

Quote:
To add//
The people most reluctant to use their bilingualism from the constant stream of stories i read are not all Quebecers but the usual disgruntled bunch that view themselves as victims and they're gonna get revenge, These people are mandated by law not to have to speak English and they are bound and determined to use that law to its fullest extent whenever an Anglo has trouble with his French.
For the most part these people are represented by the Provincial government worker,hospital staff, transit workers, police personnel,city worker, and of course the separatist.. And maybe Lex

PS. The latest kerfuffle=

http://www.cjad.com/cjad-news/2015/0...-speak-english

As usual the comments section is an interesting read.
More Anglophone entitlement. These are the SAME types of people who b*** and moan about needing to be bilingual to work for the federal government.

Just because I can order coffee in English doesn't mean I could do my job in English. Why assume the dispatcher could?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada