Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2016, 02:16 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I guess that settles the debate on if Canadians really act or sound different than Americans. If I had the pleasure of sitting next to someone like that, I'd reutn her rudeness with total kindness (I find that usually makes them even more annoyed from working in customer service as a kid) or try to get her fed up to the point she would get up. Either way would sounds like a chance to really give her something to complain about.
LOL It doesn't settle it since she only made her assumption on clothing and her English, although great, would not be good a discerning accents. I've been in France and when they heard me speak English, thought I was from England.
Nowadays, clothing is less of an indicator, at least in young people.

It was disconcerting to see someone so blatant in their prejudices. I have posted these stories on CD years ago.
I quite often have been a " defender " of the US when travelling in Europe. Dispelling the notion it's just a land of strip malls, fat people and bad food. Just like I defend Canada about being a frozen wasteland, boring, bland and nothing to do.

As I said earlier. Europeans somehow feel " safe " telling Canadians what they think about the US, good and bad. The conversations usually start by assuming a Canadian is American because there are so many more in actual numbers travelling in Europe. When they realize I'm not American, then if they have any prejudices or feel they must apologize for such an offence, they begin the BS.

Old 09-14-2016, 02:37 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
LOL It doesn't settle it since she only made her assumption on clothing and her English, although great, would not be good a discerning accents. I've been in France and when they heard me speak English, thought I was from England.

It was disconcerting to see someone so blatant in their prejudices. I have posted these stories on CD years ago.
I quite often have been a " defender " of the US when travelling in Europe. Dispelling the notion it's just a land of strip malls, fat people and bad food. Just like I defend Canada about being a frozen wasteland, boring, bland and nothing to do.

As I said earlier. Europeans somehow feel " safe " telling Canadians what they think about the US, good and bad. The conversations usually start by assuming a Canadian is American because there are so many more in actual numbers travelling in Europe. When they realize I'm not American, then if they have any prejudices or feel they must apologize for such an offence, they begin the BS.
Yeah, I think it's safe to say that the U.S. being a superpower globocop and all, isn't as popular as an innocuous country like Canada. It goes for the citizenries too.

That said, people will say stuff to you "in confidence" about other nationalities X and Y, etc. when they find out you're nationality is Z. Including to Americans about Canadians BTW.

I can pass for an English Canadian and a French Canadian, and I've had people say all sorts of things to me about the "other Canadian" group they assumed I wasn't a part of.

So when people claim that French or English Canadians are more well-liked globally than the other, I have to roll my eyes.

Old 09-14-2016, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Yeah, I think it's safe to say that the U.S. being a superpower globocop and all, isn't as popular as an innocuous country like Canada. It goes for the citizenries too.

That said, people will say stuff to you "in confidence" about other nationalities X and Y, etc. when they find out you're nationality is Z. Including to Americans about Canadians BTW.

I can pass for an English Canadian and a French Canadian, and I've had people say all sorts of things to me about the "other Canadian" group they assumed I wasn't a part of.

So when people claim that French or English Canadians are more well-liked globally than the other, I have to roll my eyes.
Don't roll them too hard, you might hurt yourself.

Old 09-14-2016, 05:27 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,156,239 times
Quote:

Are you native born Canadian? I have personally never heard a Canadian sound remotely like a British person; though maybe Newfoundland can come close. It is really sad that some people could be so blatantly hateful and I also hope none of those who think we have bad food are British . It is strange that they'd feel the need to tell Canadians what they think of Americans, if I was Canadian, I feel like that would get annoying to deal with.

Old 09-14-2016, 07:41 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,709,974 times
similar thread, with some more ideas the way canada shows towards america.

//www.city-data.com/forum/canad...be-canada.html

Old 09-15-2016, 06:35 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,843,905 times
Quote:
They may not tell it to your face because you are American, but Canadians can tell you what they say to us about you guys. You wouldn't like most of it.
As a child of immigrants who have always mostly associated with other immigrants to Canada, I can tell you what they all say about Canadians (that they might not say to your face). You wouldn't like most of it.

Old 09-15-2016, 06:46 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times
Quote:
Not in my experience. I've heard more and seen more anti-Americanism in the UK and Continental Europe than I ever have in Canada.

A woman in the Netherlands sitting next to me on the train was pretty cold to me until she found out I was Canadian. She actually explained her behaviour to me. She thought I was American and she didn't like Americans. Can you imagine that happening in Canada??

They may not tell it to your face because you are American, but Canadians can tell you what they say to us about you guys. You wouldn't like most of it.
The only person showing a low opinion of us is you, the fact that you think that we would buy your ridiculous "woman on a train" story illustrates it.

Old 09-15-2016, 07:04 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Jeez Louise........11 pages of over a hundred posts and counting while repeating ad nauseum all the crappola of many other threads fostered on the topic.

Enough with this already.

Some Canadians dislike the U.S. and some United Statians. Some United Statians dislike Canada and some Canadians.

It's not the stuff of a nasty divorce and there'll be no alimony or siblings to fight over so who shives-a-git if either of us behave like the typical family?

Me personally; I'm the master of curmudgeonry and dislike everybody with equal disdain. Think "Walter" on Dunham's knee.

Can we move on now?

Old 09-15-2016, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Are you native born Canadian? I have personally never heard a Canadian sound remotely like a British person; though maybe Newfoundland can come close. It is really sad that some people could be so blatantly hateful and I also hope none of those who think we have bad food are British . It is strange that they'd feel the need to tell Canadians what they think of Americans, if I was Canadian, I feel like that would get annoying to deal with.
I never said I sounded British. What I said was that a non-English speaker who recognized English assumed I was from England. They were able to tell it was English, but could not discern accents.

People who know a languages can tell the difference. I wonder how many Quebecois visiting parts of the US get mistaken for French? A non-French speaker may not be able to tell the difference, but someone whose is familiar with French, and they don't even have to speak it, can tell. I can sometimes even tell if they are from the South of France, rather than Paris and my French is weak.

Yes it is " sad " and weird, but mostly it's not hateful and it's not every time of course. I just remember the times it happened because it was off putting.

Old 09-15-2016, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
The only person showing a low opinion of us is you, the fact that you think that we would buy your ridiculous "woman on a train" story illustrates it.
It's an absolute fact. I can even still picture her in my head. Ask some other Canadians for their experiences.

You are also incorrect in saying I have a low opinion of Americans. Did you not read where I state I defended the US on these occasions? Have you not read that I have family and friends in the US? Did you not know that I visit the US fairly often because I enjoy it?

The fact that you refuse to believe a simple story about someone in Europe who is anti-American ( did you not think they exist? ) is what is ridiculous.

Last edited by Natnasci; 09-15-2016 at 10:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada