Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 07:02 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
You've never encountered that? How about every.single.Torontonian in this whole forum?
Re-read my post.

Old 08-31-2016, 10:57 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,821,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Re-read my post.
Yeah. You said 'in person.' So what? People are a lot more self-restrained and PC in person. Just like few people are open racists "in person." Add the anonymity of the Internet, however, and you see how people truly are. Case in point: every.single.Torontonian on this site.

Old 09-01-2016, 01:24 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Yeah. You said 'in person.' So what? People are a lot more self-restrained and PC in person. Just like few people are open racists "in person." Add the anonymity of the Internet, however, and you see how people truly are. Case in point: every.single.Torontonian on this site.
Another case in point: every.single.post.of.yours.on.the.Canada.forum.

Is it true that you hate Canada so much because you are denied entry into Canada?

Old 09-01-2016, 01:34 AM

3,625 posts, read 3,412,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Toronto. Sigh. Our love hate relationship

. . .

So when others complain about Toronto, at least from a Vancovuerites perspective, it's usually about the winters or the " centre of the universe " supposed complex they have, which I've never encountered in person.
I've never encountered it either. Though full disclosure: I'm originally from Toronto, and spent over 40 years there. I was educated there (though one of my degrees was obtained in Alberta), learned how to drive there, rode the TTC daily, drove the 401/404/427/407/DVP at various times daily, and know the GTA's neighbourhoods and secrets like the back of my hand.

Yet in all my years here in Alberta, nobody has ever put me down for coming from Toronto. It's just another place people come from; no different from Vancouver, Montreal, or Halifax. Oh sure, there has been some friendly "centre of the universe" banter, or talk about how much the Maple Leafs suck (which I cannot disagree with), but for the most part, Toronto is just another place to local friends and acquaintances.

For their part, my Toronto friends (and I still have them), do not pity me for leaving. Instead, they are curious: "What's it like living in Alberta?" Okay, in some cases, they have a weird view of life in Alberta ("Is it true that everybody drives a pickup truck and wears a cowboy hat?"), but they are genuinely curious. Some have visited out here, and been pleasantly surprised at what they find. My local friends who visit Toronto may return saying they didn't like it--or maybe they did--but at least they were willing to try. They are open-minded enough, in other words, to visit and decide, rather than not visiting and deciding. Which, it seems to me, is how it ought to be: visit, then decide.

Old 09-01-2016, 01:55 AM

3,625 posts, read 3,412,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
And where pbeauchamp? Haven't seen them on here in a while. lol
PBeauchamp only seems to appear when the issue involves Quebec. Fair enough; he is entitled to post to what he likes to. I am sure that he follows the conversation, and like me, posts when he feels his contribution is warranted.

Old 09-01-2016, 06:22 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
that would be find but if you peel back the surface layer it seemed post of those people let that question give them time to air their true feeling. It was a flow of emotions, I think by the end they forgot what the question was.
BINGO! and what's really interesting (telling) is the juxtaposition of the American stereotypes of Canadians (very flattering), with the Canadian stereotypes of Americans (very insulting).

In general, stereotypes are opinions that should be ignored because they take very little intellectual thought to generate.

Old 09-01-2016, 07:01 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
I dont get the animosity for Toronto,i've been going there frequently for 40 years and never had a bad time, lots of things to do in the city,plenty of great restaurants,plenty of diverse neighborhoods,great public transit.As for unfriendly people? i've never had these negative experiences with Torontonians and if i did i certainly wouldnt blame the entire cities population on a few bad experiences.
http://www.toronto.com/
Toronto?

Old 09-01-2016, 09:10 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,407,761 times
If anything, on here it has been some Torontonians that show animosity towards others. We have seen them call other place "**** holes" or write in a disdainful manner " I have no idea why anyone would want to live (or visit) there?!" There are plenty of examples of this through out the forum. Its been several posters on here from Toronto that constantly do this.

Old 09-01-2016, 09:17 AM

2,093 posts, read 1,926,741 times
I know a couple who sure bust on the US a lot and tout everything Canada..... but sure don't have a problem living in the US!

Old 09-01-2016, 01:15 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsteel View Post
I know a couple who sure bust on the US a lot and tout everything Canada..... but sure don't have a problem living in the US!
Call them on it. That's what I do when people moan about something they can change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada