Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2016, 09:51 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
I agree with everything you've said here. But don't you think that's because, other than in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver, there simply aren't large enough numbers of Blacks, Asians, or Hispanics for race to become the issue it is in the US? There are about 20 million people of Asian ancestry, more than 40 million Blacks, and more than 50 million Hispanics/Latinos in the U.S. Toronto and Vancouver have comparable Asian populations, and, on social level, race IS a factor is those cities. I think we all know that.

But there is no city in Canada where the Black and/or Hispanic populations even come close to what they are in most sizable communities in the U.S. The cities proper of Chicago, Detroit, and Atlanta are all between 70-90% Black. Even Nashville proper is about 30% Black. The Black population in Toronto, in comparison, which is the largest in Canada, is maybe 10% of the population, and even with that small Black population, we KNOW that race is a social issue in Toronto. If the city of Toronto were to become 70-90% Black by next year, which meant that the Black population would form a very influential voting bloc and cultural influence, race would absolutely become a big issue, just as it is in the U.S.

Last, Canada obviously doesn't have the Hispanic/Latino population, even in its largest cities. In Nashville, let alone in NYC, LA, Chicago, Miami, or Houston, one out of every 5 residents is Latino. I work in education/literacy, and I recently became certified to teach English as a second language because the demand is so high. The Hispanic population has grown 13-fold since 1990. In Nashville.

Michigan has a Latino population of about half a million people, significantly larger that Toronto's Chinese population. Boston's Latino population is about 3/4 of a million people. I stayed in a suburb north of the city a few years ago, where almost every single sign, including municipal election signs, were printed entirely in Spanish. In New England.

Again, other than in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver, where in Canada are different races represented in such large, powerful numbers?
Montreal and Toronto have the highest percentages of blacks in Canada, but their proportion of blacks is similar to that of Seattle, Portland and the Twin Cities, which many Americans would describe as "all white", or at least cities with almost no blacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 10:11 PM

749 posts, read 856,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
"Melting pot" approach is so overrated and misleading. There are millions of Chinese for example in the US and the vast majority of them don't become part of the mainstream American culture. Check the old identities at the door? Wishful thinking.

The vast Hispanic population largely keeps their culture as well as far as I could observe. Most Mexicans in Los Angeles for example stick to their own language, food and tradition. Very few are "melted", not even after 20 years.

Even African Americans have their own very distinct culture and never melted with the WASP culture.

In the end, as you said, no matter how they advertise it, there is no big difference between the US and Canada in terms of how immigrants adapt to the new culture.

And maybe it is only same bias, I have seen more Asian guy with white girlfriend, or white guy with black girlfriend in Toronto than in Los Angeles, possibly because the racial stereotype is not as strong in Canada.

Good points.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:44 PM

7,681 posts, read 5,530,949 times
Quote:
If the city of Toronto were to become 70-90% Black by next year, which meant that the Black population would form a very influential voting bloc and cultural influence, race would absolutely become a big issue, just as it is in the U.S.
I see black as a skin color, nothing more. I see African-Americans as a ethnic group, natives from the Carribean as another ethnic group and Africans as yet different ethnic group. If they are immigrants to Canada or second or third generation Canadians, they may have grown up with different foods, traditions, religions and even different languages spoken in the home. Why do you think they would all want to vote the same way as a single block? Why wouldn't they make voting decisions individually, the way the rest of us do?

Toronto suddenly switching to become 70%-90% of any specific culture, even Swedish, would of course have voting implications. They'd probably want to change all the traffic signs to Swedish!

Last edited by cdnirene; 05-24-2016 at 10:54 PM..

Old 05-25-2016, 03:30 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,956,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Well said...the Melting Pot vs. Multiculturalism issue is way overblown...no practical differences.
Whatever the correct word - mosaic or multi-culturalism, one thing is clear. The US practices racial divide that is not seen in most westernized world, including Canada.

There is a practical difference.

Old 05-25-2016, 07:25 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,843,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I see black as a skin color, nothing more. I see African-Americans as a ethnic group, natives from the Carribean as another ethnic group and Africans as yet different ethnic group. If they are immigrants to Canada or second or third generation Canadians, they may have grown up with different foods, traditions, religions and even different languages spoken in the home. Why do you think they would all want to vote the same way as a single block? Why wouldn't they make voting decisions individually, the way the rest of us do?

Toronto suddenly switching to become 70%-90% of any specific culture, even Swedish, would of course have voting implications. They'd probably want to change all the traffic signs to Swedish!
Historical voting patterns in Canada and the U.S have nothing to do with what I think. They're well documented.

In Canada, where the Conservative party is more left-leaning than the Republican party, immigrants, like my parents, still tend to vote for the Liberal or NDP parties
(conservative but not Conservative? Immigrants, Political Values, and Vote Choice | Randy Besco - Academia.edu), just as immigrants to the U.S have, historically, voted Democrat (Immigration's Impact on Republican Political Prospects, 1980 to 2012 | Center for Immigration Studies).

Minorities in the US, whether immigrants or US-born, have historically voted Democrat. African-Americans, in particular, have overwhelmingly voted Democrat (A Deep Dive Into Party Affiliation | Pew Research Center). Are there Blacks who don't follow that pattern? Of course. Hence, Ben Carson. I have met Blacks (African-American and African) who do NOT like Obama, for example, but they are a tiny, tiny minority.

Old 05-25-2016, 07:29 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post

I largely agree with you, but if immigrants from foreign countries who share a particular characteristic with locals integrate and blend in with them, it's not abnormal for people to take that shortcut.

Except for a small number of places (generally outside of the immigrant magnet cities), there is no large homegrown black community for newcomers from Africa or the Caribbean to blend into in Canada.

Even so, people of similar (but not identical) origins if they aren't super numerous do tend to mix together once here. For example, there is a lot of mixing between people from various Afro-Caribbean countries in Toronto, or between people from different francophone African countries in Montreal.

Old 05-25-2016, 08:28 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,303,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Whatever the correct word - mosaic or multi-culturalism, one thing is clear. The US practices racial divide that is not seen in most westernized world, including Canada.

There is a practical difference.

Give me a practical example....let's say a young Indian couple arrives in the US vs. Canada....tell me the differences...

For example, I can give you one here.....foreign professionals tend to me significantly more successful in the US compared to Canada....

"Why the world’s best and brightest struggle to find jobs in Canada

Why do skilled immigrants often fare worse here than in the U.S. and U.K.?"

http://www.macleans.ca/economy/busin...of-misfortune/

That is an actual practical racial divide for you.....but it is in Canada....

Old 05-25-2016, 08:34 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times
Quote:
Seeing as I spent the first 31 years of my life in Canada...yeah, understood.
Apologize for assuming you were an American.

Black population in the city of Toronto is 8.5%, compared with 13.2% in the US. Lower but hardly insignificant. However, in the Toronto mayoral election, not once did I hear about "black votes" or "Asian votes" (Chinese alone account for 12% of Toronto's population).

Why? because it is wrong to assume people of the same race/ethnicity have the same political goals or economic needs. It is wrong to lump together into an ethnic group creating this "them vs us" conflict as the US always does.

I remember a few years ago Olivia Chow was circulating election pamphlets in Chinese for votes, outlining her plan to increase parents and grandparents immigrant. I was actually offended by this: just because I am a Chinese immigrant doesn't mean I should support such a policy. I vote in favour of policies that benefit the city, not based on my own ethnicity, or simply whatever is best for the Chinese population in Toronto. Why should politicians care about the race of its voters and why should voters care about the skin color of politicians?

Canada is not perfect in that respect, but at least Canada and most its media and politicians don't play the race card that often. They at least don't deliberately segregated people based on their race and ethnicity though constant brainwashing. The thing is most voters are not that smart, and if you keep saying "you are black and should do what is good for the black community", then he will identify himself as a black person, instead of just a citizen of the country - is that a good thing we want to see? Not to mention in Canada the black population are from various background, and it is stupid to assume they share one thing in common. I myself want to be considered as a Canadian, not always as a Chinese Canadian. My vote is one vote, not one "non-white" vote".

Old 05-25-2016, 09:13 AM

6,424 posts, read 4,917,410 times
Canada has more of an open immigration policy than the USA. Canada does not have the best climate, especially for those people coming from a tropical climate. Canada offers free healthcare, cheaper education, better social programs and generally a more "concern for the welfare of its citizens than the USA" . A majority of the black Canadians came from the Caribbean whereas most of the Black Americans came as slaves from Africa. There are not massive ghettos in Canadian cities like there are in the US, with daily killings that no one seems to care about. I think its a national disgrace, because as long as they don't invade our white suburbs who cares. Canada is more of a multicultural country which is evident by walking down the streets of any large city, which is part of its charm. My dad was from Toronto, my mom from NYC so I know both countries pretty well. I met my wife (who is the love of my life) in Canada and I will always be grateful for that. She is an immigrant from South America who emigrated for the better life that Canada afforded for her children. When discussing minorities in Canada you have to differentiate between large cities and the rest fo the country. Toronto (which I travel to frequently) has a large Asian and East Indian population, Vancouver has a large Asian population as well.

Old 05-25-2016, 12:45 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,843,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Montreal and Toronto have the highest percentages of blacks in Canada, but their proportion of blacks is similar to that of Seattle, Portland and the Twin Cities, which many Americans would describe as "all white", or at least cities with almost no blacks.
Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada