Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these cities have the best downtown in Canada?
Montreal 29 53.70%
Toronto 14 25.93%
Calgary 2 3.70%
vancouver 9 16.67%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 08:52 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,893,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
...I'm definitely not the only one that think is over-hyped....unemployment is not a problem, lack of good jobs is and it is a well known fact......being over-hyped does not mean that city is bad per se.
Well you can find groups of individuals who think any city is over-hyped. There are certainly areas cities need to work on but Vancouver has been doing a pretty good job of attracting investment and growth. I think it'll do just fine in the future and it has a bright one. When it does improve on areas of weakness (Its median household income level is actually not that far below Seattle's actually...) it'll be an even better package. There are enough places in the world for us to find that one that just ticks off the right boxes and as I said, Vancouver has no shortage of people who feel it checks off enough boxes for them to settle in it. If it doesn't check off enough boxes for you that is ok - let it go!

Last edited by fusion2; 05-01-2017 at 09:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2017, 10:29 PM

1,147 posts, read 719,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
My "beef" with Vancouver has always been a simple one and there is nothing "hateful" about it....in a nutshell, it is grossly over-hyped.
It is a fine city with a lovely natural setting. Unfortunately RE cost are outrageous and the job market is lousy. I do not think these simple facts are disputable.
Why does it bother you that it's overhyped? Why spend so much time challenging hype about a city that you consider irrelevant anyway?

There's not much discussion about Vancouver outside the Canada forum, so the "hype" is rather easy to avoid.

Old 05-02-2017, 12:15 AM

984 posts, read 1,315,926 times
Calgary is not in any of the other cities in terms of best downtowns. Toronto & Montreal vie for #1 spot with Toronto probably having the edge while Vancouver is a distant third and Calgary a very distant forth. Vancouver and especially Calgary still very much have the small town mentalities and very parochial compared to Tor/Mon but Van/Cal still have nice downtowns and vibrant ones.

Old 05-02-2017, 01:12 AM

909 posts, read 1,154,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
Calgary is not in any of the other cities in terms of best downtowns. Toronto & Montreal vie for #1 spot with Toronto probably having the edge while Vancouver is a distant third and Calgary a very distant forth. Vancouver and especially Calgary still very much have the small town mentalities and very parochial compared to Tor/Mon but Van/Cal still have nice downtowns and vibrant ones.
I agree. In fact when I visited Vancouver the downtown just reminded me of a bigger Calgary with an ocean beside it. Too new and bland and not enough character and culture. Downtown Calgary shuts down at 5pm as well. I would also agree with Toronto being number 1 in terms of the downtown.

Old 05-02-2017, 01:53 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,306,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Well you can find groups of individuals who think any city is over-hyped. There are certainly areas cities need to work on but Vancouver has been doing a pretty good job of attracting investment and growth. I think it'll do just fine in the future and it has a bright one. When it does improve on areas of weakness (Its median household income level is actually not that far below Seattle's actually...) it'll be an even better package. There are enough places in the world for us to find that one that just ticks off the right boxes and as I said, Vancouver has no shortage of people who feel it checks off enough boxes for them to settle in it. If it doesn't check off enough boxes for you that is ok - let it go!

It is a forum.....so there are discussion and I never open any threads about Vancouver anyway....Vancouver lately actually has trouble attracting productive investments besides RE....it is a huge money laundering hub....

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/real-...ticle34850038/

B.C.’s economy, says Mr. Wilkinson, relies on the selling off of real estate instead of actual jobs, as a result of government inaction.

https://thetyee.ca/Opinion/2017/01/3...at-Playground/

Real estate inflation within this tiny area, representing just two per cent of B.C.’s land area, eclipsed the entire provincial GDP — the actual goods and services produced by all British Columbians in 2015.

"Whether we like it or not, B.C. has basically become a real estate economy. The BC Assessment office recently released numbers for 2017 showing that property values ballooned by a staggering $332 billion — 25 per cent — last year. This figure is more than five times the economic value of all goods-producing industries in 2015 combined and nearly double the size of our entire service sector that same year."

Last edited by saturno_v; 05-02-2017 at 02:19 AM..

Old 05-02-2017, 06:36 AM

Yes, Vancouver has issues with housing. However, there is still good news about the city:

Vancouver Holds On to Top Spot in Economic Growth This Year and Next (Corporate Communications, The Conference Board of Canada 2016)

Last edited by Fish & Chips; 05-02-2017 at 06:45 AM..

Old 05-02-2017, 06:46 AM

Yes, Vancouver has issues with housing and the people in /r/vancouver are always angry about this. However, there is still some good news about the city:

Vancouver Holds On to Top Spot in Economic Growth This Year and Next (Corporate Communications, The Conference Board of Canada 2016)

Old 05-02-2017, 07:16 AM

Canada's Eastern metropolises seem more established and dominant.

Vancouver is the underdog that is still evolving. I think it'll be much more important within Canada in the future. It won't compete with Toronto, but I can foresee it surpassing Montréal.

Old 05-02-2017, 07:59 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,059,497 times
[quote=Fish & Chips;48019596]Canada's Eastern metropolises seem more established and dominant.

Vancouver is the underdog that is still evolving. I think it'll be much more important within Canada in the future. It won't compete with Toronto, but I can foresee it surpassing Montréal.[/quote]

Anything is possible but this appears very unlikely at the present time as Montreal's population is growing by more people in sheer numbers than Vancouver's is. So the gap of about 1.5 million between the two is slowly widening as opposed to narrowing.

If anything, Calgary (and maybe even Edmonton) is more likely to pass Vancouver for third place than Vancouver is to pass Montreal for second. Both Alberta cities are growing faster than Vancouver in sheer numbers. Though obviously this growth is sensitive to ups and downs in the oil and gas sector.

Another ranking change that is in the realm of possibility is Alberta passing BC as the third province in terms of population. This is actually a lot more likely than any change in the ranking of cities.

Old 05-02-2017, 08:01 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,059,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
I am not even sure that I would rank Calgary as fourth in terms of Canadian "downtowns", if by downtown we mean anything other than skylines/skyscrapers.

In terms of downtown as what's going on at street level (especially outside of busines hours), the fourth best in Canada is fairly clearly Ottawa.

Quebec City might arguably rank ahead of Calgary for fifth spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada