Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these cities have the best downtown in Canada?
Montreal 29 53.70%
Toronto 14 25.93%
Calgary 2 3.70%
vancouver 9 16.67%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 08:12 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,248,493 times

Advertisements

I get a kick out how America gets brought into these Canadian threads (of all things Starbucks. I prefer Duncan Donuts and think its Boston based) and Portland ..... You can't blame Americans bringing up US things here either and of course, its always to demean, or lessen and slight somehow.

I do think though.... it's time we gave back Justin Bieber. I thought I heard he lives in Atlanta now?

I can imagine Canadian things brought up in US forums? It would be the Ugly American, No compassion and most extremist Nation on earth. How dare they.

Canadians would not brush it off as .... eh, as least they know we exist. LOL. Just reading all the boycotting American products and not traveling into the US knee-jerk comments in threads.... had me shake my head. Can you imagine if Americans said boycott Canada and its products?

All this over Trumps knee-jerk threat to trash NAFTA. He backed down of course. But the responses I read... made me realize hypocrisy here is not just on one side of the border.

All can go now back to Canada alone in topic and these cities of Canada on their downtowns. Oh, and another thing ---> if a thread in the US forums had "downtown" in the topic? It would be deleted and reason given - downtown threads on cities is NOT allowed. It is allowed in Canadian forums I guess?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2017, 08:26 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,893,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
I get a kick out how America gets brought into these Canadian threads (of all things Starbucks. I prefer Duncan Donuts and think its Boston based) and Portland ..... You can't blame Americans bringing up US things here either and of course, its always to demean, or lessen and slight somehow.

I do think though.... it's time we gave back Justin Bieber. I thought I heard he lives in Atlanta now?

I can imagine Canadian things brought up in US forums? It would be the Ugly American, No compassion and most extremist Nation on earth. How dare they.

Canadians would not brush it off as .... eh, as least they know we exist. LOL. Just reading all the boycotting American products and not traveling into the US knee-jerk comments in threads.... had me shake my head. Can you imagine if Americans said boycott Canada and its products?

All this over Trumps knee-jerk threat to trash NAFTA. He backed down of course. But the responses I read... made me realize hypocrisy here is not just on one side of the border.

All can go now back to Canada alone in topic and these cities of Canada on their downtowns. Oh, and another thing ---> if a thread in the US forums had "downtown" in the topic? It would be deleted and reason given - downtown threads on cities is NOT allowed. It is allowed in Canadian forums I guess?
Oh please - you are exaggerating everything like a drama queen - sort of like Trump lol.. I was joking when I said i'd be part of the whole boycott Walmart movement. That said, if you were Canadian you'd probably be annoyed by Trump's hypocrisy. He really is peeving off a lot of international allies and you'd have to be a dolt to think otherwise. He's not exactly diplomatic and treating friends and allies as he has been is not exactly conducive to good ongoing relations. Tweaking or wanting to amend trade agreements is one thing (NAFTA has been amended about 12 times since it was put in place for example), but going off on childish rants and threatening friends and allies such as 'terminating' trade deals that benefit not just other countries but also benefit the American worker is playing a game of Russian roulette and it simply won't fly with other countries. It might have been popular with about 40 percent of the American populace but its a resounding fail with international allies and trading partners and it will drive other countries away from the U.S and closer to one another and why shouldn't it with his foolish rhetoric? The U.S is not an island and will never prosper with a protectionist/isolationist type of mentality but Trump is playing with fire here. Any relationship is a is a two way street and even if one person has an issue with their partner, how they handle themselves is very important and Trump has been a flat out international relations disaster.

Last edited by fusion2; 04-28-2017 at 09:18 PM..

Old 04-29-2017, 12:58 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,571,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post

It was, as usual, brought up by someone living the US. Saturno started his usual bashing of Vancouver comparing it to Seattle, and Portland which he brought up in post number 183 .

As for people boycotting products and travel, good. I don't see anything wrong with it and it's certainly not at knee jerk reaction. It's also NOT just about NAFTA, it's about the fascist you have in the Oval office. People do what they think will make a statement. Americans boycott things all the time, and even went ballistic over France once when some of you starting calling French Fries Freedom Fries instead.
Travel is down to the US so it seems people around the world are " boycotting " the US.

Last edited by Natnasci; 04-29-2017 at 01:41 PM..

Old 04-29-2017, 06:11 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,306,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
While not as well known globally as Vancouver (BC), Portland has more global renown than people give it credit for due to having a professional basketball team. Pro sports in general contribute to a city's "fame" even if people who aren't sports fans don't always realize it.

American football is not that popular worldwide but Green Bay is still one of the most well-known small American cities due to the presence of the Packers (and the fact the team has been immortalized in popular culture to some degree).

And pop culture in general is a huge factor. People of a certain generation may know of Milwaukee due to Happy Days and Laverne and Shirley, or at least the general "feel" of coastal Washington state due to the Twilight movie series. (Even though it was filmed in BC, I am pretty sure.)

Exactly...

I would love to know for what things exactly Vancouver is "well known" internationally or "in another league" compared to Portland.....what comes from Vancouver?? What cultural trends?? What brands?? What movies?? What special feat of architecture?? What famous arts/entertainment events?? ............crickets......

It does not even play as Vancouver in movies but as whatever American city the movie plot is supposed to take place....

Because of the Olympics?? Well St. Lake City had them and so Sochi....

Sure, when you talk about Canada Vancouver is more popular than Portland is if, in the case of Portland, the context of the discussion is the US.

Last edited by saturno_v; 04-29-2017 at 07:38 PM..

Old 04-29-2017, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Very few people are aware of the existence of Portland outside the US/West Canada. Very few. Probably fewer than 2 out of 100. Portland, OR is probably as well-known as Nantes, France.

Seattle's name is relatively well known because of a few large companies such as Microsoft, although MS is not even located in Seattle. In Asia for example, most people know Seattle because of the stupid movie "Sleepless in Seattle", but very few people actually know a damn thing about the city whatsoever.

The only American cities that are widely known world wide is NYC, LA, SF. That's it. People don't know or care about Boston, Seattle, Chicago or even Washington DC whatsoever.

Botti are you serious??

Quote:
Vancouver is pretty much as well known as San Francisco. Somewhat below NYC and LA, but probably better known than Toronto.

I can find in one minute someone in Europe that does not know where Vancouver is or "what is"....

Old 04-29-2017, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Ok, but still trying to understand the point that Portland Ore is known ( better known according to Saturno ) internationally than Vancouver because of a sport team, or Nike or????

I never said "Portland is more known".....I even conceded that is probably better known...but not "in another league" more known....

By the way having more residential high rises does not mean anything.

Old 04-29-2017, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Well, you've had Expo 86 and the Winter Olympics. Portland has the NBA Trailblazers and (maybe) Nike as claims to fame.

Seattle has Sleepless in Seattle, Boeing, Starbucks and coffee culture, Nirvana and grunge music, Bill Gates and Microsoft, and Frasier (in the anglosphere anyway), and the Seahawks, Mariners, Sounders and it had the SuperSonics.

Exactly...the idea that Vancouver is more known than Seattle is ludicrous.....

Old 04-29-2017, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Seattle is relatively well known, but definitely less so than Vancouver.
Absolutely hogwash...maybe, and I stress, maybe, in some regions of Asia....

Old 04-30-2017, 02:55 AM

1,147 posts, read 719,016 times
Nike hasn't made Portland famous outside North America.

I'm not from North America and I've never heard Portland mentioned during a discussion about the brand in other continents. Although this is anecdotal evidence, but I'm confident that there are others that could share similar anecdotes.

Last edited by Fish & Chips; 04-30-2017 at 03:03 AM..

Old 04-30-2017, 03:04 AM

1,147 posts, read 719,016 times
Nike hasn't made Portland famous outside North America.

I'm not from North America and I've never heard Portland mentioned during a discussion about the brand here. While this is anecdotal evidence, I'm confident that there are others who could share the same anecdote.

The gap between Nike's global famousness and Portland's is huge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada