Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these cities have the best downtown in Canada?
Montreal 29 53.70%
Toronto 14 25.93%
Calgary 2 3.70%
vancouver 9 16.67%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 01:53 PM

3,867 posts, read 5,291,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Regarding Portland, I am pretty sure there are quite a few people in Zagreb, Croatia, and Croatia in general (and also Bosnia, his home country) who know the Oregon city because Jusuf Nurkic plays in the NBA there. (He played for many years for Cedevita in Zagreb.)

And as a result the girlfriends and parents of some of the basketball fans have heard of Portland, Oregon.

Just as my wife and kids who are totally non-sports fans are aware of certain teams and places as well just by living with me.
This is another good point. Kind of like how everyone I knew back in Jamaica was a Knicks fan because of Patrick Ewing. Or happened upon the Celtics because Ewing and Rumeal Robinson both played HS ball in Cambridge after immigrating to the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 02:14 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
When I was younger, I ran into a bunch of Finnish *girls*. When I told them where I was from, they responded "Canada? Uhh... Winnipeg?"

When I asked why Winnipeg, they responded "well, Teemu Selanne plays there!"

True story!

Old 04-25-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I have no idea what Mariners, Sounders and SuperSonics are. And yes, Frasier outside North America is not well known at all.

Seattle has no "coffee culture". Unless you think this is coffee culture. I deleted a couple of friends from my istagram because they posted this thing as if it is something slightly interesting.

Starbucks is well know for free wifi, not coffee.

I don't drink coffee so I am not into coffee culture. But you see? This is a good example... I don't drink coffee but I know about Seattle's (self-proclaimed?) coffee culture. Starbucks. "Seattle's Best Coffee". Etc.

(I am not commenting on the quality or authenticity of that culture BTW.)

Old 04-26-2017, 02:28 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I don't drink coffee so I am not into coffee culture. But you see? This is a good example... I don't drink coffee but I know about Seattle's (self-proclaimed?) coffee culture. Starbucks. "Seattle's Best Coffee". Etc.

(I am not commenting on the quality or authenticity of that culture BTW.)
I know.

Starbuck, no matter how I dislike it and avoid it, is an indisputable huge marketing success. The fact that such sub-par coffee can be widely popular from Europe to East Asia is amazing.

I don't know how the hell happened in Europe, but in China, it is popular despite the high price is because many Chinese (naively) believe starbucks represents a typical middle class American lifestyle they aspire (despite the fact that even high school students study at Starbucks regularly in Los Angeles). It is somehow a "status symbol", which is laughable.

It is off topic but often some businesses are successful because many customers are incredibily ignorant and stupid. Not believing? just think about the skin-care industry, or better diamond

Seattle is relatively well known, but definitely less so than Vancouver. For some reason, Montreal is not particularly well known in Asia, most likely due to the relatively smaller number of immigrants.

I am sorry to say none of these three Canadians cities are able to offer a pedestrian only zone. It is almost the standard in many parts of Europe. Too many cars on every street and it is hardly to have an enjoyable downtown. Toronto is especially notorious for the car culture.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:03 AM

3,867 posts, read 5,291,536 times
Quote:
I know.

Starbuck, no matter how I dislike it and avoid it, is an indisputable huge marketing success. The fact that such sub-par coffee can be widely popular from Europe to East Asia is amazing.

I don't know how the hell happened in Europe, but in China, it is popular despite the high price is because many Chinese (naively) believe starbucks represents a typical middle class American lifestyle they aspire (despite the fact that even high school students study at Starbucks regularly in Los Angeles). It is somehow a "status symbol", which is laughable.

It is off topic but often some businesses are successful because many customers are incredibily ignorant and stupid. Not believing? just think about the skin-care industry, or better diamond

Seattle is relatively well known, but definitely less so than Vancouver. For some reason, Montreal is not particularly well known in Asia, most likely due to the relatively smaller number of immigrants.

I am sorry to say none of these three Canadians cities are able to offer a pedestrian only zone. It is almost the standard in many parts of Europe. Too many cars on every street and it is hardly to have an enjoyable downtown. Toronto is especially notorious for the car culture.
I dont find Montreal bad in the pedestrian friendly department. As far as I know they already have pedestrian only streets and are adding another 5 this year. Toronto is planning on doing the same, but I admit right now I would not consider it a pedestrian friendly city. Vancouver I dont know enough about to comment, but I do not remember it being noticeably pedestrian friendly to stand out in my mind from my visits.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:16 AM

Montreal is definitely making an effort in terms of pedestrian-only streets.

These are just for the downtown core, and include several substantial sections of Ste-Catherine, which as you know is the main street of the entire city.

Ville de Montréal - Arrondissement de Ville-Marie - Rues piétonnières

There are a few other parts of the city that also have pedestrian streets, most notably in the Plateau Mont-Royal north of downtown (well, it's actually west but Montreal's a bit special when it comes to east-west and north-south).

Old 04-26-2017, 07:21 AM

Quote:

Yes, I have noticed this too and I think you are right. From India to Japan, the most known (often the only) known Canadian cities are Toronto and Vancouver. In some circles Vancouver is even more famous than Toronto. Montreal doesn't register much of a blip.

Of course, in the Middle East (which is still Asia) Montreal is very well known, and depending on the country can be more "famous" than Toronto.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:25 AM

1,147 posts, read 718,292 times
Vancouver is perhaps Canada's most famous city in the Asia-Pacific, including Australia and New Zealand. Elsewhere, it's either Toronto or Montréal.

Toronto isn't as universally tied to Canada's international identity, unlike Sydney is to Australia or London is to the UK.

Last edited by Fish & Chips; 04-26-2017 at 07:33 AM..

Old 04-26-2017, 07:34 AM

1,147 posts, read 718,292 times
Vancouver is probably Canada's most famous city in the Asia-Pacific, including Australia and New Zealand. Elsewhere, it's Toronto or Montréal.

Toronto isn't as universally tied to Canada's international identity, unlike Sydney is to Australia or London is to the UK.

Old 04-26-2017, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish & Chips View Post
Vancouver is probably Canada's most famous city in the Asia-Pacific, including Australia and New Zealand. Elsewhere, it's Toronto or Montréal.

It's more surprising in the case of Australia, given the size proximity between Sydney and Melbourne. In the UK it's no contest as London is so much larger than any other city.

In Canada, the two main reasons for this are the long period where Montreal was the biggest city (until around 1980) and the fact that Montreal has "outlier" elements to its personality that make it stand out in the minds of many.

All of this pulls Montreal about equal to Toronto overall in terms of renown, even if the latter is now much larger (about a third in fact).

This won't last though and there are many areas and signs where Toronto is now ahead of Montreal by some measure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada