Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these cities have the best downtown in Canada?
Montreal 29 53.70%
Toronto 14 25.93%
Calgary 2 3.70%
vancouver 9 16.67%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 06:06 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,718,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Oh wonderful - another 'definitive' list that is completely accurate and reflective of what everyone thinks - yippie. Amsterdam number 1.... Madrid number 28.... Kuala Lumpur number 62... NYC number 64..................... Of those 4 cities Amsterdam is the least attractive by FAR imo... Brussels, Helsinki, Zurich, Utrecht and scores of other tame cities in comparison have a better nightlife scene than Bangkok... Gothenburg Sweden better nightlife than Mexico City bwahahah...... nuff said about these stupid subjective lists in my books.
hahaha. I just posted it to vex you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 06:10 AM

1,147 posts, read 717,818 times
People are very critical of Vancouver. I disagree that Toronto gets the most criticism.

Old 04-19-2017, 06:32 AM

3,862 posts, read 5,286,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Today's star: Toronto ranks 24 among 100 cities for Millennials. Vancouver at 10th, Montreal at 15th. The top three go to Amsterdam, Berlin and Munich.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...llennials.html

this is gonna make many pissed: Although many actual Toronto millennials would disagree, the city’s lowest score was for nightlife. Among the rated 100 cities, only Ottawa, Denver, Brugg, Cork (wherever that is), Philly, Boston and Perth ranked lower than Toronto in night life. Berlin and Paris tied for number 1. Montreal scored 9.5, putting it at the 7th position. Vancouver and Toronto each gets 1 point at 92th. LOL
I'm not a Millennial, so no wonder I think this list is total sh*t.

I'm with Fusion on this one!

Old 04-19-2017, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaraa View Post
There's lots of places you can get good Jamaican food in Toronto but I do find alot of Jamaican places to be rather inconsistent but when you know a place well you will begin to know what time or day to go there etc. Also it's very rare for one place to do everything well. The place that has good curry goat will have very bad stew chicken and vice versa.
Quote:
Thanks for the info! I must admit that I don't eat Jamaican food that often and when I have its been limited to Mr. Jerk lol.. I definitely am open though so will broaden my Jamaican culinary horizons. As for what you said about restaurants doing some things well but not everthing, I think this is pretty common.. Hakka food is one of my favourite in terms of dining in the city. There is one place that does a Crispy Beef better than anywhere else yet the rest of the menu is pretty average. Its just a matter of experimenting with different dishes and going to the specific restaurant that does a specific dish the best.
This is kind of my beef. Why do you have to perfectly time your visit to get a good meal? If you screw up once or twice, you are off my list for food forever. Sorry but there are way too many places to eat and limited meals each day to waste it on poorly executed food.

We are back in the US, because my wife ran the Boston Marathon on Monday. So she got to pick the meal for after. She had a craving for West Indian food. We went to this place owned by a Jamaican and Lucian. Ordered Curry Crab, Escovitch Fish, Brown Stew Conch, Fried Lobster (Hellshire beach style), Side of Callaloo, Fried Plantain, Festival with Tons of Sorrel and Rum to wash it down. Everything knock it out the park good, why cant you easily find a meal like that in Toronto with the population that is there?

Hakka food in Toronto is one of the foods that the city excels in! I love that place Federick on Ellesmere. My brother in law takes us there whenever we are in town, its delicious. Cant say I have had a bad dish there even once!

Old 04-19-2017, 08:09 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times
Quote:
Today's star: Toronto ranks 24 among 100 cities for Millennials. Vancouver at 10th, Montreal at 15th. The top three go to Amsterdam, Berlin and Munich.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...llennials.html

this is gonna make many pissed: Although many actual Toronto millennials would disagree, the city’s lowest score was for nightlife. Among the rated 100 cities, only Ottawa, Denver, Brugg, Cork (wherever that is), Philly, Boston and Perth ranked lower than Toronto in night life. Berlin and Paris tied for number 1. Montreal scored 9.5, putting it at the 7th position. Vancouver and Toronto each gets 1 point at 92th. LOL

I think this list is grossly wrong and unfair to Toronto in terms of nightlife. WTF?

BTW, it seems like the author of the artlcle thinks that Quebec has separated from Canada. Almost all her comparisons for Toronto are with Vancouver, whereas Montreal is its closest comparable in Canada by a longshot.

Old 04-19-2017, 08:36 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,172,404 times
Quote:
Oh wonderful - another 'definitive' list that is completely accurate and reflective of what everyone thinks - yippie. Amsterdam number 1.... Madrid number 28.... Kuala Lumpur number 62... NYC number 64..................... Of those 4 cities Amsterdam is the least attractive by FAR imo... Brussels, Helsinki, Zurich, Utrecht and scores of other tame cities in comparison have a better nightlife scene than Bangkok... Gothenburg Sweden better nightlife than Mexico City bwahahah...... nuff said about these stupid subjective lists in my books.
Speaking as a millenial (and I think I can speak for the majority of my millenial friends in Toronto), "nightlife" is hardly at the top of our mental "list" when we consider where to move. I think this would apply to most millenials who lead sane, active, and balanced life styles. Millenial =/= we go clubbing every Friday and drink hipster espressos on Saturdays (in fact that kind of lifestyle gets old very fast. Been there done that).

So what are the things I actually do care about when migrating to a new city as a millenial? The exact same as everyone else:

1. Jobs. Career Advancement. Potential for future pay increases and career mobility.
2. Affordable, wide-ranging housing options, in a variety of different neighborhoods.
3. Good mobility and public transit options.
4. Connectivity and proximity to other regional hubs.
5. Stable economic/political environment. Open, progressive, and tolerant attitudes towards people from different backgrounds.

Old 04-19-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I think this list is grossly wrong and unfair to Toronto in terms of nightlife. WTF?

BTW, it seems like the author of the artlcle thinks that Quebec has separated from Canada. Almost all her comparisons for Toronto are with Vancouver, whereas Montreal is its closest comparable in Canada by a longshot.
This list gets more hilarious the more you read it. Istanbul is ranked dead last for festival scene. Honestly I cant think of many cultures that are more festive than the Turkish. Beijing best beer scene, but Antwerp Belgium way down the list.

As I said only continue reading if you want a great laugh. Toronto should be proud of finishing low, this is not a list you want to be on top of.

Old 04-19-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Speaking as a millenial (and I think I can speak for the majority of my millenial friends in Toronto), "nightlife" is hardly at the top of our mental "list" when we consider where to move. I think this would apply to most millenials who lead sane, active, and balanced life styles. Millenial =/= we go clubbing every Friday and drink hipster espressos on Saturdays (in fact that kind of lifestyle gets old very fast. Been there done that).

So what are the things I actually do care about when migrating to a new city as a millenial? The exact same as everyone else:

1. Jobs. Career Advancement. Potential for future pay increases and career mobility.
2. Affordable, wide-ranging housing options, in a variety of different neighborhoods.
3. Good mobility and public transit options.
4. Connectivity and proximity to other regional hubs.
5. Stable economic/political environment. Open, progressive, and tolerant attitudes towards people from different backgrounds.
Well said. As I said earlier I am not a Millennial, but I work in a field that attracts mostly people from that age group and they are looking for the exact same things as you.

Millennial's like to have fun of course, but career oriented people in that age bracket are much more attracted to an active lifestyle mixed with "nightlife" that attracts like minded people that want to network and meet new people. I couldn't think of a worse place to do that than a nightclub.

If the main criteria is what you listed above, I really do not see how Toronto has any peer in Canada. Especially if No. 1 is first on the list.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:46 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times
Quote:
Do you really say "vex" in English?

Old 04-19-2017, 10:47 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,543,399 times
Quote:
Evil Botti.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada