Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these cities have the best downtown in Canada?
Montreal 29 53.70%
Toronto 14 25.93%
Calgary 2 3.70%
vancouver 9 16.67%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 01:25 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Why would that be? I'm assuming most Turkish Restaurants were opened by Turkish immigrants, so why would they omit this if it's a standard?
No its not the Turkish immigrants fault nat - its the anglo white guy who lives in Toronto's fault - even though he has frequented the Turkish restaurant called Anatolia about 300 metres from where he lives in Etobicoke many times.....If they expanded their menu, i'd be more than willing to try. As a matter of fact - i'm going to use information in this thread and when I return home will ask the owners of Anatolia why they omit these dishes...

Last edited by fusion2; 04-16-2017 at 01:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2017, 01:54 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,724,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Oh sure blame it on the natives as usual lol... I think the time has long come and gone to the tune of about 50 percent of the population of Toronto not being born here that y'all start taking responsibility for how the city is. What are y'all gonna do in 20 years when its over 65 percent foreign born - blame the white minority lol... Not gonna let you or them off scott free with this anymore and I will remind you and them every single time you complain

As I said before - nothing stopping you from opening a bakery to your satisfaction in DT Toronto.. You can even BAN cupcakes Do it! Become part of the solution man. You're every bit Torontonian/Canadian as I am. When you point one finger at me there are three pointing right back at y'all here!

By the way - Shanghai airport -TOTAL DISASTER!! the worst connection experience of my life... Talk about mechanized constructs in a society. The rudest staff I've ever encountered at an airport. The agent working the transit booth was acting like a North Korean traffic officer and 59 RMB for an expresso wtf?? The only good thing was the Sunrise Duty Free - reasonable prices for goods otherwise I was surprised with Pudong. The facility itself is fine but they gotta do something about the staff and cost of a cup of coffee.
I am not "blaming" the natives. I was simply pointing out a fact.

And you are absolutely right about my part in the solution in it. I like your way of thinking. But I am not the enterprenerial type. I am an underachiever all my life

Sorry for the rude staff... as to airport coffee, or airport anything, it has already been like this --- they sell everything 4 times the regular price, which is disgusting. Most chinese i know never buy anything at the airport - not just Pudong airport, but all airports in China function like that - just do NOT buy anything. I wouldn't even buy a bottle of water.

Quote:
Have you been to Mexico City or Bangkok? In both there are no less than 5.5 billion 7/11's and Starbucks abound.. Even in Barcelona I was surprised how much Starbucks is penetrating the market there. This is far from being a Toronto thing Botti - I think you'll find quite a few Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts in Boston too!
It is equally disgraceful for these cities. I am just speechless to Starbucks goers.
I thought "globalization" means the world gets more interesting, turns out it is just "americanization" with bad and overpriced coffee.

Sorry, I just have no respect for cities with a lot of Starbucks. period.

Old 04-16-2017, 02:32 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post

And you are absolutely right about my part in the solution in it. I like your way of thinking. But I am not the enterprenerial type. I am an underachiever all my life
Botti - we can't hold onto the fact that Toronto will EVER be as strong a native culture as other places. It is far too diverse and recently 'new' diverse for it to have a strong native anything. Anglo culture while still here is all but a memory of itself. I'm ok with that - the Toronto I know is the one I present here today. Regardless of the fact i'm anglo and been here for awhile. The only way the city will be a success is for people like you and me working together for something better! As for you being an underachiever, please don't say that. I can't say much on an online forum but I have the utmost respect for you as an individual. You made a great impression on me and I sincerely wish you as much as I can genuinely say the absolute best in life

Quote:
Sorry for the rude staff... as to airport coffee, or airport anything, it has already been like this --- they sell everything 4 times the regular price, which is disgusting. Most chinese i know never buy anything at the airport - not just Pudong airport, but all airports in China function like that - just do NOT buy anything. I wouldn't even buy a bottle of water.
Yeah as much as the airport is growing and an impressive representation of an emerging China - it is the finer details that need to be worked out. This will happen in time. I got a 700 dollar CAD return airfare Toronto to Bangkok thanks to China Eastern Airlines as with other benefits I can't say in an online forum other to say i'm more than happy with my fare and the fact we arrived safely and on time to our destination.

Quote:
It is equally disgraceful for these cities. I am just speechless to Starbucks goers.
I thought "globalization" means the world gets more interesting, turns out it is just "americanization" with bad and overpriced coffee.

Sorry, I just have no respect for cities with a lot of Starbucks. period.
I bought a Starbucks grande coffee at Pudong for 27 RMB - I NEEDED my caffeine fix.. Point being I gave local merchants at Pudong a chance and they were way too expensive vs Starbucks - it puzzled me.. I'm sure Shanghai is different and as with Beijing - I will be doing a 3 or 4 day in transit layover to that city to check it out! I'm sure the city is endlessly more fascinating than its airport. On the plus, Pudong is modern and has all the requisite facilities but it needs work on the softer humane side of things

This is an online forum Botti but I always will wish you the very best as a friend

Old 04-16-2017, 03:14 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,301,330 times
Quote:
If a very bad restaurant/bakery, whatever manages to survive and stay open in a city I do blame the natives.....

Old 04-16-2017, 03:25 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,301,330 times
Quote:

Overall, I think we can agree, that good Mexican may exist, but is very rare in Europe. It might be getting better, but I'm guessing it's lack of authentic ingredients that might be an issue?
At least Mexican restaurants are not too common in Europe, I'm willing to cut a little bit of slack if they do not get things right (I been in one where the flavors were a bit off, not as authentic but quality was excellent, meats were properly marinated, etc...).....but here in Seattle Mexican restaurants are in every corner and invariably they range from horrifying to mediocre at best (I lost count of how many I tried, I just gave up)....my wife love Mexican food....there are only 3 Mexican joint we go in the entire Seattle area...one is a fairly recently open Asadero-Taqueria and the food is excellent (Nat go and try when you come down in Seattle, I can assure you you do not have this level of Mexican food in Vancouver) .....Mexico-Texas level, finally someone that manages to make really authentic tortillas and mesquite wood grilling.

Another has a very good salsa bar (we go mainly for that) but the main entries are very ordinary if not worse.

A third makes a very good fajita with with the usual crappy industrial grade tortilla shells.

...and yes I do blame the locals....if they did not go there and eat, bad places would close....

Old 04-16-2017, 04:27 PM

3,866 posts, read 5,290,685 times
Quote:
Mexican Crema is to my taste buds much,much more like sour cream, than Creme Fraiche. Any restaurant I've eaten in in Mexico, crema is much more sour than the almost tasteless Creme Fraiche.

However I will admit that they are pretty close, but I personally never substitute Mexican Crema with Creme Fraiche.

Overall, I think we can agree, that good Mexican may exist, but is very rare in Europe. It might be getting better, but I'm guessing it's lack of authentic ingredients that might be an issue?
I am not going to question your personal taste, but the fat content is what makes Crema Fresca and Creme Fraiche more similar than sour cream. But they are all different, especially the texture in Crema.

Honestly I have never eaten Mexican in Europe, why waste a meal on something I figure wont be done that well? Not that I have been all that impressed with the Mexican I have had in Canada either.

Old 04-16-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
These are all fair points but the bottom line is its still good to have overall choice. Bangkok obviously has way better Thai food than Toronto - its not even close but the fact that having a taste of another culture even if its not the full monty is better than just having burgers and fries or peameal bacon sandwiches. You can even get all kinds of different food in Bangkok but obviously the best is Thai. I would never contend you can get a better Pizza in Bangkok than Italy, but for locals its great they have the variety because as amazing as Thai food is even they would get sick of monotony. I'm not going to blame the Thai for not having as varied selection or authentic a representation of Italian in Bangkok now am I!!??

I believe you yourself said in a post way back that if you like a variety of ethnic cuisine, T.O is a great place sooooo.......

haha yeah Toronto's culinary scene isn't as diverse as Atlanta, Honolulu or Dallas - its about the same level.. My bad lol - I need to travel more to Dallas, Atlanta and Honolulu to prove to myself it has as many diverse culinary offerings as Toronto.. Does being in Bangkok and then Chiang Mai or the over 30 countries I've been to count at all lol..... Seriously though, as diverse as a lot of places are its hard to discount T.O diverse offerings as probably being on a higher level than most in N.A. I don't think this is a contentious thing to say at all and is probably factual. It doesn't mean you're going to get better or more variety of Turkish food in Toronto than Turkey but we can't live everywhere at the same time.

Send em back lol... I can buy em cheaper here in Thailand
I am quite glad immigrants ended up in Canada and the US, the food scene would be terrible without them. With that said thankfully immigrants are kind of ending up everywhere and one of the types of business that many immigrants gravitate towards is the restaurant business. So its great to access many different ethnic foods in places you would least expect.

With all that said just because you have alot of something doesnt mean its any good. Sometimes the concentration of multiple places works in your favour, but other times it does not push the quality up at all. We have had this discussion regarding Jamaican food. TONS of places in Toronto, I have tried so many of them I have lost count and I can honestly say I have never had an excellent Jamaican cooked food even once. I also give credit where its due and the Jamaican pastry shops in Toronto are very good. Randy's, Allen's, Michidean's and Tinnels are all awesome. I just have no idea why it cant translate to the cooked food.

So all I am saying is dont assume quantity always translates to quantity. Toronto though thankfully has alot of good ethnic foods in other areas and the variety in those cases works to its benefit.

P.S: Safe Travels

Old 04-16-2017, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Why would that be? I'm assuming most Turkish Restaurants were opened by Turkish immigrants, so why would they omit this if it's a standard?
No idea Nat, but if you find a place that serves it let me know. I get why Botti has been seeking it out, its an incredibly delicious dish, great mix of sweet and savory without being overpowering. I have found it twice in the US but only ordered it once. Decent attempt, but not what I was looking for.

Old 04-16-2017, 07:13 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
I am not going to question your personal taste, but the fat content is what makes Crema Fresca and Creme Fraiche more similar than sour cream. But they are all different, especially the texture in Crema.

Honestly I have never eaten Mexican in Europe, why waste a meal on something I figure wont be done that well? Not that I have been all that impressed with the Mexican I have had in Canada either.
I should add that it really depends on the sour cream as well. Not the stiff kind but the runny kind is what i use, and a brand here that doesn't have too strong a taste.

One interesting thing though, is IF creme fraiche is closer to Mexican crema, a, why do Mexican places in Canada and the US use sour cream mostly. Here in Vancouver sour cream and creme fraiche are close in price.

Mexican in Canada isn't stellar. There are a few newer places here in Vancouver that are pretty good. I can only assume over time it will get better.

Old 04-16-2017, 07:21 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
At least Mexican restaurants are not too common in Europe, I'm willing to cut a little bit of slack if they do not get things right (I been in one where the flavors were a bit off, not as authentic but quality was excellent, meats were properly marinated, etc...).....but here in Seattle Mexican restaurants are in every corner and invariably they range from horrifying to mediocre at best (I lost count of how many I tried, I just gave up)....my wife love Mexican food....there are only 3 Mexican joint we go in the entire Seattle area...one is a fairly recently open Asadero-Taqueria and the food is excellent (Nat go and try when you come down in Seattle, I can assure you you do not have this level of Mexican food in Vancouver) .....Mexico-Texas level, finally someone that manages to make really authentic tortillas and mesquite wood grilling.

Another has a very good salsa bar (we go mainly for that) but the main entries are very ordinary if not worse.

A third makes a very good fajita with with the usual crappy industrial grade tortilla shells.

...and yes I do blame the locals....if they did not go there and eat, bad places would close....
Well theres not getting it quite right and not getting it at all. I looked up some newer Mexican places in Paris, and the menu looks a bit better..they had mole ! How it tastes...who knows?

This place in the south of France was the one where they got everything wrong. Crepes for tortillas for starters.

Vancouver has few " good " Mexican places. Probably because we have less Mexicans. Salsa Agave is fine, but I'm sure they use a pre-made mole. A few new taco places getting good reviews, but I haven't been. Most of the Mexican I eat here in Vancouver is homemade. My partner makes mole from scratch...it's good and slowly getting more authentic...but has yet to do the full 3 days of chili work etc.
A woman I worked with who was from Mexico, mother used to come and visit her and cook and cook. She would bring incredible things for me to eat at work. I had been to Mexico by then, but this was amazing homemade Mexican cooking that I miss now that she has passed.

There was a great Canadian cooking show where the guy went all over Mexico highlighting the vast differences in regional Mexican cuisine. Shows that so many restaurants are only giving us a little glimpse of the bounty.

Here's a clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9Ca4ybuz04
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada