Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these cities have the best downtown in Canada?
Montreal 29 53.70%
Toronto 14 25.93%
Calgary 2 3.70%
vancouver 9 16.67%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 08:41 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,306,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish & Chips View Post
Have you read the Vancouver subreddit? Vancouverites themselves are often negative about Vancouver. It's not just other Canadians.
I'm talking about this forum and, even outside, Vancouver over-hyping is all over...the main criticism of Vancouver from Vancouverites is the cost of housing and cost of living in general.

Quote:
I also disagree with your Vancouver-Portland comparison.

Vancouver is not comparable to San Francisco, but it's certainly more internationally relevant than Portland. You are doing the opposite of people who overvalue Vancouver's relevance by comparing it to a random American city that few people outside North America care about.
The fact that Vancouver is more "internationally relevant" (really meaning for the most part that a lot of wealthy Asians are living in there) does not seem to impact its nightlife and arts and entertainment scene above any other similarly sized North American city.....not even sure that anywhere else maybe other than Asia, Vancouver is necessarily that much more known than Portland....but yes, they definitely see it more when Vancouver poses as an American city in movies.

Last edited by saturno_v; 04-20-2017 at 08:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 10:48 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,571,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
This is fair. Sometimes the smaller festivals are more fun and other times the larger ones are. I do not know enough about what Vancouver offers (We tend to not be in the know when it comes to places we do not live) but I assume a city of its stature has an excellent festival scene.

One example of smaller is sometimes better. Trinidad Carnival is technically smaller than Caribana. Do I need to tell anyone which one is more fun?
We have a smallish Caribbean Festival...they just lump everyone into one festival.

Caribbean Days Festival in North Vancouver BC - Caribbean Days Festival

Old 04-20-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
I'm talking about this forum and, even outside, Vancouver over-hyping is all over...the main criticism of Vancouver from Vancouverites is the cost of housing and cost of living in general.

The fact that Vancouver is more "internationally relevant" (really meaning for the most part that a lot of wealthy Asians are living in there) does not seem to impact its nightlife and arts and entertainment scene above any other similarly sized North American city.....not even sure that anywhere else maybe other than Asia, Vancouver is necessarily that much more known than Portland....but yes, they definitely see it more when Vancouver poses as an American city in movies.
Must be the crowd you hang out with.

People don't know Portland, Ore around the world, even in Eastern Canada that much. They may only know it from Portlandia. I doubt many Europeans know it, or that there is another Portland in Maine.

Vancouver has had fairly recently, The Olympics, and a world's fair. Portland? Vancouver makes the international press far more often than Portland.

The Portland and Vancouver, B.C. are two totally different cities. Nothing alike.

There was a time when Vancouver wasn't that known, but that has changed.

Old 04-20-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Must be the crowd you hang out with.

People don't know Portland, Ore around the world, even in Eastern Canada that much. They may only know it from Portlandia. I doubt many Europeans know it, or that there is another Portland in Maine.

Vancouver has had fairly recently, The Olympics, and a world's fair. Portland? Vancouver makes the international press far more often than Portland.

The Portland and Vancouver, B.C. are two totally different cities. Nothing alike.

There was a time when Vancouver wasn't that known, but that has changed.

.........ever heard of Nike?? Or Columbia Sportswear?? Oregon High Tech cluster?? Portland is historically one of the birthplaces of the West Coast counterculture and liberal movement.

I bet that if you ask to 10 Europeans, 10 out of 10 knows about Vancouver and Portland.

Comparing Portland Oregon to Portland Maine it's almost like comparing Vancouver BC to Vancouver Washington....

Totally different cities?? You think Vancouver is in another league?? Again, this is where the criticism and the laughing begins....but I guess you are the one that think that Vancouver is in another league compared even to Seattle which is laughable......

Last edited by saturno_v; 04-20-2017 at 12:46 PM..

Old 04-20-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
.........ever heard of Nike?? Or Columbia Sportswear?? Oregon High Tech cluster?? Portland is historically one of the birthplaces of the West Coast counterculture and liberal movement.

I bet that if you ask to 10 Europeans, 10 out of 10 knows about Vancouver and Portland.

Comparing Portland Oregon with Portland Maine it's almost like comparing Vancouver BC with Vancouver Washington....

Totally different cities?? You think Vancouver is in another league?? Again, this is where the criticism and the laughing begins....but I guess you are the one that think that Vancouver is in another league compared even to Seattle which is laughable......
Most people do not associate brands with cities, very few exceptions. I doubt many in Europe, know or care what city Nike is from....it's actually Beaverton. The rest meh. No one cares.

Where do you get the idea that I"m comparing the two Portlands? What I said is that most who don't know Portland, also don't know that there is a Portland, Maine, since MOST people who are aware of Portland Ore., make the distinction that it is Portland Ore, they are talking about.

Vancouver is in a TOTALLY different league than Portland, Ore. Totally. ANYONE who has been to the two cities will tell you that.

Old 04-20-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Most people do not associate brands with cities,
You are wrong

Quote:
Vancouver is in a TOTALLY different league than Portland, Ore. Totally. ANYONE who has been to the two cities will tell you that.

I guess you started smoking early today.....

For example, Did you ever actually ate in restaurants in Portland?? The restaurant scene alone, on average, is better than Van...

This is what people really find amusing about Vancouver and Vancouverites....this overinflated sense of importance and "world class".....this is the single most common criticism about Vancouver on the web....

Last edited by saturno_v; 04-20-2017 at 12:41 PM..

Old 04-20-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
You are wrong

I guess you started smoking early today.....

For example, Did you ever actually ate in restaurants in Portland?? The restaurant scene alone, on average, is better than Van...

This is what people really find amusing about Vancouver and Vancouverites....this overinflated sense of importance and "world class".....this is the single most common criticism about Vancouver on the web....
Yes, I went to " restaurant row ". What a joke. I'm not saying that there aren't good places in Portland, but I wasn't wowed. One place for breakfast I liked...can't remember the name. Portland is know on the west coast mainly for brew pubs.

Just see the difference in airlines that service each city.

Portland International Airport - Airlines

Airlines and Destinations | YVR

Then look at the quality of hotels? No Shangrii-la, no Pan Pacific, no Four Seasons, in Portland. For chains, the best they have is Westin,Kimpton, etc.

No international chain even seems to look at Portland. Wonder why?

The only saying " world class " here is you. I've never said it since to me the city lacks museums, and certain culture stature. However ,it is a class or 3 above Portland.

Last edited by Natnasci; 04-20-2017 at 01:27 PM..

Old 04-20-2017, 02:04 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,176,703 times
Quote:
I find that... hard to believe.

And yes, I've been to both Vancouver and Portland on numerous occasions over the years for both business and family.

Vancouver is certainly no Montreal or NYC or Chicago or SF, both in size and economic stature. However, I find that certain things you say about Vancouver tend to go to extremes, with little evidenced-based argument.

For example, you claim that Portland's restaurant scene is better than that of Vancouver. By what measure? Restaurant count per capita? Variety and quality of cuisine? Internationally renowned chefs? Quality of local ingredients?

Old 04-20-2017, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
I find that... hard to believe.

And yes, I've been to both Vancouver and Portland on numerous occasions over the years for both business and family.

Vancouver is certainly no Montreal or NYC or Chicago or SF, both in size and economic stature. However, I find that certain things you say about Vancouver tend to go to extremes, with little evidenced-based argument.

For example, you claim that Portland's restaurant scene is better than that of Vancouver. By what measure? Restaurant count per capita? Variety and quality of cuisine? Internationally renowned chefs? Quality of local ingredients?
It's laughable. Certainly Portland is known for craft beer, but restaurants?

Old 04-20-2017, 03:20 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,243,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
That headline is misleading as he doesn't actually say that Toronto is a better food city than Montreal.

But it's true that Toronto offers the best range of the world's cuisines of any city in Canada. (Whether this makes this the best food city is a matter of debate as there can be other criteria.)

True. If you're interested, here's the full Foodism story that's mentioned in the article:

https://www.foodism.to/guest-column-...etter-toronto/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada